blisters on hands!

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
My old dad used to say to rub in 'white spirit' was it? But try rubbing on alcohol (a waste IMO!) or witch hazel, that'll help blisters heal faster.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You really need to teach yourself to wear gloves .
It's safer and it will help stop the blisters .

Floxie

Visit site
I just wear gloves. Plenty of light weight breathable ones available for summer. The one time I forgot them my rubber reins gave me blisters in moments (my horse's mouth was fine, however) ;)

Cowpony

Visit site
Have you been riding with gloves previously? Back in the old days when we wore riding gloves to keep our hands warm rather than for safety, I used to get blisters every Spring when I stopped using them. It was just the reins rubbing on the tender skin between the ring and little fingers (not pulling on the horse's mouth because we never took a contact! :D) and after a week or two our hands toughened up and we were fine again.

I second the suggestion to get some lightweight gloves though. Safer and more comfortable than blisters.

WindyStacks

Visit site
I've very light hands - but when I'm actually working a horse I get blisters. Surely by the very mechanics of allowing the reins to slip through your fingers (friction)- ergo blisters, you are categorically NOT ripping the horses mouth! (Just my 2 cents).

POLLDARK

Visit site
If your getting blisters on your hands.... what is the ponies mouth getting?[/QUOTE]

Agree with Gingerwitch. A horses mouth is much more sensitive than your hands.

Floxie

Visit site
Then it's a good job the horse's mouth is holding a bit designed for the purpose and not high-friction rubber reins ;P

Umbongo

Visit site
I would just get used to wearing gloves, you can get some very good thin ones nowadays.
I used to be able to ride without gloves, had a break and my hands softened up a bit. Got back into riding and holding reins gives me blisters (leather reins are ok but I prefer grippy ones!).

I have become so used to wearing gloves now that I feel naked not wearing them.

POLLDARK

Visit site
I admit I can't get to grips with this problem. The only time I have worn gloves when riding (50 years) is when it is cold or I am competing. I don't use the rubber grip reins as they are to bulky for my small hands, I use plaited leather or similar. Perhaps you should ditch the rubber grip reins ?