Blob small for covering dates - explain?

Rollin

Visit site
Those of you have more experience than me explain this please. I am over the moon (for reasons explained below) as one of my mares scanned in foal this afternoon but the vet says the 'blob' is small for the covering date and wants to rescan in 10 days.

She is 14 days post last cover but had a longer season than normal i.e. she stayed in season for another day.

The reason I am thrilled is that this a CB mare who covered by accident and is very in-bred, which does lead to fertility problems. We have tried to put her in foal to a Shagya stallion twice before, frozen from my Shagya stallion's grandfather, natural cover by my boy's sire and finally it looks as if my own boy has done the job.

Please send Breeders' vibes for a positive outcome - I have waited 10 years for this.

Fahrenheit

www.ipcmedia.com
Do you know when she ovulated?

If you didnt check for ovulation and just went on cover date she could have ovulated a couple of days after covering or if you did check for ovulation i've had plenty of mares fire off a second follicle a day or two after the first, leading to a few sets of twins where one is bigger than the other at scanning, I did have a mare with quads last year which was a first! Managed to successfully pinch 3.

JillA

Visit site
The vet may be flagging up that the foetus isn't growing as well as he would expect for 14 days. When I had a twinning mare who had to have a second foetus pinched out, the vet would always scan a couple of times to make sure the surviving foetus was developing normally. There is many a slip etc - hope it has developed normally for the next scan

Hurricanelady

Visit site
I don't have any direct experience other than when I was trying to do ET with my maiden mare before we gave up and luckily found her lovely half sister as an experienced brood mare - but on the first attempt it appeared she'd ovulated later than the vets thought from scanning, and on the second attempt had definitely ovulated again as there was a twin.

All the very best of luck, I really hope it goes well for you and the mare :)

Rollin

Visit site
I did wonder if there were twins because I seem to remember twin TB's born in Ireland, missed on scan. I thought another ten days, would be too late, to pinch one out, if there are twins so have left a message for him asking him that.

All I can do is wait and pray all is well.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I did wonder if there were twins because I seem to remember twin TB's born in Ireland, missed on scan. I thought another ten days, would be too late, to pinch one out, if there are twins so have left a message for him asking him that.

All I can do is wait and pray all is well.

If vet found the small blob, it's unlikely he would have missed a bigger one! Sometimes, the first follicle 'fails' and a 2nd ovulation, several days later, succeeds. With fresh semen, you can succeed with a late ovulation up to 4-5 days after covering.

Bennions Field

Visit site
Rollin I had this with my mare at the 14 day scan, worried me sick till the second scan, think at 26 days, which showed it had caught up and looked fine, vet said same as above, she might have ovulated just after last covering, so wasn't really 14 days when first scanned - all went well and resulting foal has just turnt two this week :)

Speak to your vet to rescan, will put your mind at rest, best of luck

Rollin

Visit site
Rollin I had this with my mare at the 14 day scan, worried me sick till the second scan, think at 26 days, which showed it had caught up and looked fine, vet said same as above, she might have ovulated just after last covering, so wasn't really 14 days when first scanned - all went well and resulting foal has just turnt two this week :)

Speak to your vet to rescan, will put your mind at rest, best of luck

Thank you for you reassuring comments.

I am more worried than usual simply because we have failed to put her in foal before in spite of going away to 'experts' and good stallions. This is also the first time my young stallion has covered so it is a test for both of them.

SKY

Visit site
Don't worry my mare held on to hers for 5days. I got her scanned 21 days and she said she was just in foal. She covered 1st day of her season and we took her home as I liked stallion wasn't happy with place for leaving my mare and foal. So she was.lucky to take 1st day and go. But my mares very fertile. So don't worry that was last year and ruby was born with the result also about 5 days or do over her cover date. Best of luck