Block for rope - what do you call it/can you get one?

Orangehorse

Visit site
Horses tied up in stalls were always attached to rope which went through a ring, and at the end of the rope there was a wooden block. This meant that the rope always had a bit of tension so the horse couldn't get tangled up with it if they lay down, and it gave them a bit more movement than just being tied up short.

My question is - can you get these blocks and what are they called?

Capriole

Visit site
Ha no, I wouldn't either :D But they do come up on eBay quite a lot and prices vary.

You could have some made by a carpenter with a lathe, I imagine, but you'd need to get a good heavy wood and I don't know that that would work out cheap either. I'd just keep looking for second hand ones and hope you spot some that the seller doesn't know the value of ;)

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I cannot think what they are called but robinsons used to sell rubber ones. Could you get a large heavy rubber dog ball and dial a hole through it? Or what about a weight, the ones you use in a gym on a dumb bell

Orangehorse

Visit site
It doesn't have to be wood, I was thinking of rubber. Sure I have seen one in a catalogue somewhere, but didn't know what to call it.