Blocked tear duct - to leave or not to leave?

Brummyrat

Visit site
I had the vet out yesterday to look at my boy's recurring watery eye, just the one eye and if left (like recently when I hadn't been able to get to the yard for three days because of snow) results in black gunk in the corner of his eye. She checked everything and thankfully nothing untoward was found and she said it was pointing towards a blocked tear duct, she washed with a saline solution and said if he doesn't get a nasal drip after 30 minutes then that would confirm it. He didn't.

So now Im looking at options - to have his tear duct flushed or not, however I'm sure I've heard in the past that this is not only quite traumatic for them, but often doesn't work. Until recently he's never had a problem with his eyes in the seven years I've had him - Im just hoping someone on here has been through this and if they felt it was worth it. Or would you recommend just carrying on bathing it as it's not horrendous.

Thanks in advance

DSB

Visit site
It is unlikely to get better without treatment and the flies etc will love it in the Summer.We have had two,over the years,one quickly resolved after treatment and one needed the tube in place for a while and regularly flushed,didn't worry him a bit and went on to be a useful racehorse.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i had one who had it flushed but it didnt work so vet said there were 2 options, manage it by bathing and face mask when flies are around or go in for surgery. i decided to manage it and use the surgery option if it got worse. it didnt get worse and i bathed it every morning and evening using clean cotton wool each time and it worked out ok...

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My friend's horse has needed it done several times and the vet has flushed it under light sedation. Horse isn't bothered and it keeps it clear for a year or so. It gets blocked because of a growth by its eye.