blood tests pre-purchase vetting - discuss

Oldred

Visit site
I've seen a lovely horse for sale but when I rode her on one rein on a soft surface she was lame. The owner had no idea why (!) but my question is could the blood test that a vet does in the vetting procedure detect EVERY type of masking drug that it might be given? Has anyone had a similar situation or had blood tested and found that it is not the safety precaution you might think it is? Needless to say, I really liked the horse, it was a reasonable price (is this why??) and would like to pursue it but don't want to buy another field ornament as I have my OAP's.

jackpalfreyman

Visit site
Im thinking you are a bit confused- or i have read wrong!

You have the blood taken during the vetting, but if the horse was lame it wouldnt pass the vetting in the first place so you wouldnt but it in teh first place???

Onto the blood- the blood is taken and stored at newmarket for 6 months, the blood is then tested if there is any lameness found once you get the horse- it can pick up things like bute etc etc

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Surely if the horse is lame it is evident that no medication has been given to mask the problem
confused.gif

Lame horses will be reasonably priced, but never reasonably priced enough in my book.

Oldred

Visit site
Sorry - I'm a bit nackered and may not be very clear. The horse I saw is nice enough to go back for another look if, and when, it is sound as the owner said it may be nail bind as horse just shod or some other non-sinister reason for the lameness. She is getting the vet and or farrier to look at it. So, if I look at the horse and try it again, and it is sound, if I have it vetted with a blood test (which would be tested at the time of the vetting) are there any substances (bute, steroids etc) that could be given that would NOT show up on a blood test. Being a typical wary buyer it is not beyond the realms of possibility that the owner may, just may, say "all sound now, was just a ......." but has actually covered up something sinister.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I would be more inclined to get her vetted now, when she is lame. Find out the reason behind it for definate, if you like her that much. Then you will know whether she is worth waiting for or not. Bear in mind a course of bute may have to be given, whatever the cause of lameness is. With an 8 day withdrawal period it could be a few weeks before you finally need to make a decision.
Being lame on one rein, on a soft surface would not point to foot related lameness for me.

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
All i'll say is just remember, they take the blood but THEY DO NOT TEST IT unless you specifically ask for a test if something goes wrong!!! We fell fowl of this with our last horse and are strongly suspicious he was doped when we tried him but when we realised that they hadnt tested the blood, it was 6months up and they couldnt test it anymore!!!
so dont assume they test it!! If you want it tested, ask, otherwise they just store it!