Bloodhounds & draghounds - the difference?

Girlracer

Visit site
I really want to go draghunting or similar, except there seems to be a disticnt lack of any packs local to me anywhere. The most local are the farmers bloodhounds and they have few meets very local.

And there isn't any draghounds anywhere near me!

So what's the difference, i'm quite intimidated by all the hedge hopping that seems to go on with bloodhounding, whilst i want to jump hedges i don't want to end up in a situation that i either jump it or get left behind and lost. However i don't want to pay my money not to jump at all!!!

Drag hunting always seems more civilised in that sense but i might be wrong

peanut

Visit site
I think the main difference is the scent the hounds follow. Bloodhounds follow a human scent, draghounds follow a fox scent layed by man.

ETA: There isn't much difference in the jumps

BigBird146

Visit site
I think it depends on the hunt and the people in it rather than than hounds wether or not you get left behind! I hunt with a bloodhounds pack, we always have a second field master who takes non -jumpers so you can jump what you want to. I think technically bloodhounds are supposed to be more comitted to the scent and faster across country, so there's less hanging around. The best thing to do is ring up the members sec and ask as I guess each pack has its own way of doing things.

star

Visit site
i dont think you could go much faster across the country than we did yesterday (draghounds) we def dont hang around! there are rarely compulsory jumps though and if they are then we normally have a second field master to take people who dont want to jump everything.

Kat

Visit site
One of the bloodhound packs near us have special non-jumping meets if you want. And both have ways to avoid jumping if you want to. The best thing is to ask someone which is the best meet to go to if you aren't up for jumping. As the trail is planned in advance they will know what jumps will be covered.

Mike007

Visit site
i dont think you could go much faster across the country than we did yesterday (draghounds) we def dont hang around! there are rarely compulsory jumps though and if they are then we normally have a second field master to take people who dont want to jump everything.
It was a bit of a blast wasnt it. And I saw you managed the Jump/road /Jump on the third line without falling off. (have you been doing some sneaky practicing) :) :)

star

Visit site
It was a bit of a blast wasnt it. And I saw you managed the Jump/road /Jump on the third line without falling off. (have you been doing some sneaky practicing) :) :)

it was bloody amazing - what a blast! there was more than one jump/road/jump too! i think 3 in total and i managed all of them! purely because no-one fell off in front of me though! When Pippa fell off right in front of me in one of the fields I nearly joined her!