BLOODROOT CREAM

Storminateacup

2nd star on the right and straight on 'til morning
Visit site
Does anyone know where I can buy bloodroot paste/cream?
My 19 year old Clydesdale has 2 very nasty sarcoids one in the angle of her throat and one on her opposite side jaw. They are both 5mm across and look like a red berry. They are red, wet and sore looking.
Her history is that when I bought aged 8 she had one in the angle of her neck, 5mm round and same as she has now. She received the Liverpool cream at vets £900. and this got rid of it.
5 years later it came back not as one but as multitude of tiny seed sized sarcoids that were mostly flaky and itchy,
They gradually got more prolific.
I tried sarc X and finally L94 two rounds of 2 litres recommended by a few people as an immunity support , liver tonic.
Finished that and they were quiet for a while. Then mid summer started back with little ones which i finally treated with a new sacroid paste containing eucalyptus and turmeric, this caused the rash to coalescing into these two current ones. And the itchiness started so I discontinued it.
She also had developed a bare patch of skin on her neck , circular and 10 inches from the sarcoids. Now she has become super, frantic, itchy and cannot bear a rug on ( she has a 20 × 12 field shelter so not a problem ) and chases me around the field to scratch her neck constantly, and is never sated!
I'm at my wits end to get some relief for her. I accept that I'm never going to get rid of these horrid things,
I just want to give her some relief.
Additionally, she had a large crusty sarcoid on her udder but its dry and not an issue.

Any advice or suggestions that don't involve a massive vet bill as we have no insurance for this now after the Liverpool cream.
Just want to quieten them all down again if that's possible.
She is still ridden lightly and still very sound and full of life and awareness.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Newmarket Cream, sold on ebay. Be aware that bloodroot/thuja is not the gentle homeopathic remedy that some people think it is. It contains a powerful corrosive chemical.

But from your description that doesn't sound like something you should mess with, you could make things a lot worse.

quizzie

Visit site
That's what I thought... can't see what else it could be.
Shes regularly groomed and all winter coat is through. What else could it be ?

Masses of causes of itchy skin lesions……allergies/bacterial skin infections/fungal such as ringworm/parasitic infestations……then several other slightly more unusual causes too.

I think you need a vet to look at and possibly sample it. A lot of skin lesions can look similar to sarcoids, but the worsening itchiness is what makes it unlikely to be that. It is also possible that with the variety of home treatments you have tried, you could having an underlying sarcoid with a secondary infection.

paddy555

Visit site
Newmarket Cream, sold on ebay. Be aware that bloodroot/thuja is not the gentle homeopathic remedy that some people think it is. It contains a powerful corrosive chemical.

But from your description that doesn't sound like something you should mess with, you could make things a lot worse.
this. I used it on my horse's face, after vet exam and with vet approval in fact they supplied it. It produced a red, raw and bleeding mess that was clearly pretty painful. I had to use it twice and it did work but it was not a "nice" exercise.

I think you need to know what you are dealing with. I would get a vet to see if it was anything else. I would also get pics sent to Prof. Knott. That does add expense but you may find it is something different. Having established precisely what you are d/w then you can decide on cost and treating.
I did this with another horse and vet removed it on K's advice. After going to the lab it was found not to be a sarcoid.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
You can’t get Newmarket Cream for love or money as they have enough evidence of its impact to try and get it approved properly as a treatment.
Newmarket Cream is bloodroot and zinc oxide which is effectively an alkali corrosive.

rextherobber

Visit site
I used Equaide cream years ago, on a sarcoid that was being bothered by flies, more as a protective layer than because I expected it to cure it, but when the clay like cover did drop off after a few weeks, there was just a smooth, hairless oval where it had been. I got it on ebay from America, but I see it now has a UK distributer, Stirling and Central Wound Care.
I didn't know sarcoids could be itchy - I'd definitely get on to the vet again, it must be awful to be that itchy.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Has anyone's horse had a sarcoid removed by lazer or cryosurgery?
What did it cost? What was the outcome ?

Vet out next week to investigate.
Yes had one removed by laser. It was by his mouth so we had a course of antibiotics incase it got anything in it when he was eating. Came to around £400 I think - (done at home with a portable laser)
Edited to add:
It leaves a BIG hole. The sarcoid itself (we didn’t know it was at the time) was the size of a pea but the hole was about the size of a 50p and about an inch deep. Healed relatively quickly! Vet told me to flush it with water (due to location, it got grass in it) but otherwise leave alone
2nd Edit:
My original vets quoted me somewhere around the £700/800 mark to take him in to horsepital and have it done there

Last edited:

Marigold4

Visit site
Has anyone's horse had a sarcoid removed by lazer or cryosurgery?
What did it cost? What was the outcome ?

Vet out next week to investigate.

My horse had one removed by laser in November under his neck/jowl. Very big hole compared to what you could see of the sarcoid as they want to get all of it. Had the removed material sent to the lab to check they had got all of it. Six weeks later, its still healing (still raised and scabbing over) but getting smaller. Important to do the op when there aren't any flies. Here is a photos of the hole left after lasering. It looked painful and I gave Danilon for two weeks. IMG_3112.JPG