Bloody horses! I have fallen out with mine

RubysGold

Visit site
Jimmy went lame, on and off, about a month back.
Vets have been out to look, they nerve blocked and found the lameness was in his foot. So they did x rays. They showed that he has sidebone in his front feet.
My vet sent the xrays to my farrier who spent ages making him some shoes that would help and then building his hooves up with glue as they'd broken up a bit. That was on Monday. Vet came back yesterday planning to nerve block into his coffin joint to see whether or not he needed steroid injections too. Jimmy trotted up Sound so we couldn't nerve block. Vets were very impressed. They said it could be the shoes helping or the fact I couldn't work him for a few days. The plan was to give another week off and then start gentle work.

Today he's pulled one of the shoes off! I'm so annoyed. The farrier spent ages on them! And they only lasted 3 nights! I dread telling him!
He used to do this alot. When he wore normal shoes he kept standing on the side of his shoe and yanking it off (often leaving the outside edge of the shoe completely secure and I'd have a battle trying to get it off)
So he had shoes with sideclips which mostly stayed on.

What do I do with a horse that needs remedial shoeing but won't keep them on! Grrr. Over Reach boots don't cover the part of the foot I need them to :-(

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Oh dear poor you it's frustrating... you haven't given any x-ray shots to see how progressed the ossification of the lateral cartilages are... hard to say and nerve blocking might not solve the issue.

Sidebone is caused by excessive pressure and imbalance in the caudal area which causes ossification of the lateral cartilages so the obvious answer here is take the shoes off. I would expect a major improvement once you have a decent trim and balance. I'm not just saying it, but I have seen it have an improvement. I would do some research and seek alternatives that *might* just reverse this situation.... if you stay as you are, it will get worse.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Giant over reach boots? you usually need bigger ones if you want to keep shoes on. though I suspect his feet are quite big anyway?

Being_Ros

Visit site
Oh, that must be so frustrating. But good to know that the remedial showing us helping!
Some say the pulling off of shoes can be linked to diet (although it doesn't sound it, just seems he is too clever for his own good). Things like sunflower seeds, NAF profeet etc.
Another suggestion possibly would be to buy easy boots which are large enough to fit over the shoe and secure it though this would be a little pricey but may be worth a try and you could look secondhand. Who knows, good luck!

Jo1987

Visit site
My old boy with side bone was far better with his shoes off, he occasionally needed hoof boots if I was riding on stony ground but mostly he was fine without, and much more comfortable than he was in shoes!

Kafairia

Visit site
Is it possible to use some size L / XL / XXL overreach boots with some smaller ones if needed on top? My TB did this the other day being a derp, and this was what I did to stop him cutting himself on the pastern and proceeding to pull his shoe off sideways. May be worth a go? :)