Bloody Livery Yards.

StowfordPress

Visit site
This is likely to be a long post so apologies but I need a rant and some advice as I’m at my wits end.

I’m trying hard not to jump to conclusions, but went and rode my young horse today and got on to my stirrup lengths being noticeably changed and he was really off compared to usual; and I’m about 80% sure somebody has ridden/ been riding him without my permission. A few months ago the y/o allowed someone else to ride my horse without my knowledge; they took photos so I know this for a fact, hence my reasonable suspicion this time. the yard is very cliquey and not treated like much of a business, so confrontation about anything will just lead to being asked to leave the yard, which we’re not in a position to do for various reasons quite now, especially with lockdown.

There are various other problems we have with this yard, which I don’t want to name until/ if we leave as they make us fairly identifiable.

While it is cliquey, for the most part we can keep to ourselves which I’m happy with, but every few weeks or so something new will come up which results in some sort of drama we get pulled into.

How do I handle this? We’re in a dead spot for yards, they are few and far between and either full, too expensive/ far or have spaces for a reason. The yard we were on before this was more expensive and managed to be worse.

The options we can think of are:

Staying put and going to see them more to try to prevent people from interfering as there would be less chances to and taking our tack home.

Moving my older two to a friend’s land, which would mean grass only and to ride I’d have to box to a school, which isn’t the end of the world but not ideal, one of them is retired so it’s just the one that is ridden. But they would have 24hr supervision and the land owners have always enjoyed having horses there so they would be fairly doted on. Then put the youngster on full livery somewhere else so there’s immediate access to facilities as he’s in moderate work. However having horses at two different places would mean much more travelling than ideal.

The next option is to put the two horses in work on DIY, part or full at the same place and have the retired mare on the friend’s land. Same reasons as above but I’m reluctant to separate my older girls as they’re very attached to each other. The retired mare would still have company.

Finally, we could attempt to find a yard that would take all three, but this is very unlikely as there is nowhere with spaces available for three and it’s likely to be expensive. If we found this I would consider finding a sharer or someone to loan the ridden mare to reduce costs, but she’s a difficult horse: brilliant to ride and will jump the moon, can be handled by novices on the ground, but she has opinions about people and has been known to decide she doesn’t like certain people ( not out of the blue, she’ll make it clear from the get go). When she decides this as odd as it sounds she will buck/ rear/ kick, in hand and under saddle. It’s very uncommon she does this but since it has happened
before it makes me reluctant for safety reasons.

Selling any of them isn’t something we’ll consider.

Sorry for the essay and anyone who read this far can have a digestive. I’m honestly at a loss so any help or support is appreciated. :)

Dyllymoo

Visit site
My god that's awful!!

I would say move ASAP. Someone else riding your horse is not acceptable, even if they haven't done it other than the time you know of, that is one time too many. Unfortunately dramas at yards are generally (not always) the norm, but the riding your horse without your consent is a massive no no.

I would either move to your friends land and stay there until you can move to another yard, or stay there? I would want to have that set up confirmed before I confront yard owner and I would then confront but be prepared to move that day.

I'm in shock if I'm honest.

I would be taking my tack home as of today.

Bernster

Visit site
If you take your tack home, are they likely to use other tack which probably won't fit well? This could do even more harm. I'd be keeping the older 2 at your friends' place and moving the youngster to full livery I think.

that was my thought. Def get out of their ASAP though and go from there!

maya2008

Visit site
Move now to friend’s place. Box for school hire. Look for own land or whatever from there. Get a friend or two, turn up, load horses onto lorry and belongings into living/cars and go. Give notice then in person (once horses safely on lorry and gone) or afterwards. Obviously you then have to pay for a month’s livery you won’t use, but worth it to keep the horses safe.

Eclipse 2020

Visit site
Definitely move to your friends place. I had the exact same problem in yard a few years ago. I made the mistake of staying there for to long other issues started popping up when I feed my horse in the evening people would go in and take my horses food because they thought my horse was to fat and that she should not be allowed any food . My horse drooped a massive amount of weight she want from fat to skinny within a week I caught them red handed. I was on Dly and it still happened to me. You should definitely move.

Last edited:

Leandy

Visit site
The next option is to put the two horses in work on DIY, part or full at the same place and have the retired mare on the friend’s land. Same reasons as above but I’m reluctant to separate my older girls as they’re very attached to each other. The retired mare would still have company.

I'd aim for this. I have kept horses in two different places before. If one of them is retired and has supervision there so you don't have to go every day then it is perfectly doable. I'm sure your mare will settle with new company. As others have said, if your yard is that bad though I would consider moving them all to your friend for the summer and use the time to find a better solution for those in work by the autumn. In the meantime, yes take your tack home and I would take to turning up at odd unexpected times. Do you have trusted friends at your current yard who can also keep an eye?

P.forpony

Visit site
Get out, get out, run away!

Have been on amazing yards and one that started well the next became truly terrible.
manager was sly and a bully had even everyone on their toes but very careful to only do it when no one else around.

Final straw when (feed included yard) I had proof of what I’d suspected for a while, pony not even getting 1/3 of the feed she needed and was agreed on, and was dropping off badly.
calmly tried to have a chat and ‘make sure we were on the same page as to ponies feeds’ ended up in me being called a liar, clueless etc

Terrible timing I was going on holiday the next week. I came home to messages from multiple other liveries saying did I know pony had been left out for the whole week and a bill for 7 days full livery!

Now on the most amazing private yard with a wonderful family we all help each other and couldn’t be happier.

There has to be trust or you spend your whole time worrying. So take the plunge. If boxing to a school is the worst thing about it it’s a small price to pay for peace of mind.

MiniMilton

Visit site
If you don't want to move in a hurry... What about wireless survellence camera in the stable? Pretend it's because you think your horse is boxwalking or something?

And i'd make additional visits and start showing up at really random times of the day.

I found out someone had been riding my horse when he was away on a rest/holiday for a few months. It was 20 years ago now and it still makes me angry when I think about it!

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Move. I had this happen to me & it made me feel physically sick.
Found stirrup lengths different first time I noticed, so took my tack home & raised it with who I suspected. I even said I thought he was a bit stiff so needed time off & was not to be ridden.
Then I found out a few days later that the person in question had then (After I'd spoken to her) ridden him in her horses saddle & actually hacked him out bareback for a good distance too! I was livid!
I was on part/full livery at the time so yard owners daughter knew when I wouldn't be around so knew when to take advantage as her horse was lame. Yard owner refused to hear her daughter had done any wrong.

Wizpop

Visit site
Some people behave appallingly!!! I’d be off there to friends house ASAP- doubt you’ll be able to relax suspecting what is going on and turning up at different times could be stressful as you will probably constantly be planning when you should go. Horrible situation and totally out of order!

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Jesus Christ, I wouldn't stay there for another minute. Decamp to your friend's place ASAP. I would do what Maya2008 said up-thread, except I wouldn't give them another penny although I do appreciate that you may not want to be labelled as someone who doesn't pay - word can get around to other yards in the area.

chocolategirl

Visit site
This is likely to be a long post so apologies but I need a rant and some advice as I’m at my wits end.

I’m trying hard not to jump to conclusions, but went and rode my young horse today and got on to my stirrup lengths being noticeably changed and he was really off compared to usual; and I’m about 80% sure somebody has ridden/ been riding him without my permission. A few months ago the y/o allowed someone else to ride my horse without my knowledge; they took photos so I know this for a fact, hence my reasonable suspicion this time. the yard is very cliquey and not treated like much of a business, so confrontation about anything will just lead to being asked to leave the yard, which we’re not in a position to do for various reasons quite now, especially with lockdown.

There are various other problems we have with this yard, which I don’t want to name until/ if we leave as they make us fairly identifiable.

While it is cliquey, for the most part we can keep to ourselves which I’m happy with, but every few weeks or so something new will come up which results in some sort of drama we get pulled into.

How do I handle this? We’re in a dead spot for yards, they are few and far between and either full, too expensive/ far or have spaces for a reason. The yard we were on before this was more expensive and managed to be worse.

Staying put and going to see them more to try to prevent people from interfering as there would be less chances to and taking our tack home.

Moving my older two to a friend’s land, which would mean grass only and to ride I’d have to box to a school, which isn’t the end of the world but not ideal, one of them is retired so it’s just the one that is ridden. But they would have 24hr supervision and the land owners have always enjoyed having horses there so they would be fairly doted on. Then put the youngster on full livery somewhere else so there’s immediate access to facilities as he’s in moderate work. However having horses at two different places would mean much more travelling than ideal.

Finally, we could attempt to find a yard that would take all three, but this is very unlikely as there is nowhere with spaces available for three and it’s likely to be expensive. If we found this I would consider finding a sharer or someone to loan the ridden mare to reduce costs, but she’s a difficult horse: brilliant to ride and will jump the moon, can be handled by novices on the ground, but she has opinions about people and has been known to decide she doesn’t like certain people ( not out of the blue, she’ll make it clear from the get go). When she decides this as odd as it sounds she will buck/ rear/ kick, in hand and under saddle. It’s very uncommon she does this but since it has happened

Sorry for the essay and anyone who read this far can have a digestive. I’m honestly at a loss so any help or support is appreciated. :)

K95

Visit site
I’ve had issues with my current yard too (different issues but still crap). I went onto all the local horse groups on fb and searched names of local places to find ads and then literally messaged everyone! I’ve found a lovely new yard and the ‘ad’ I saw and responded to was 2.5 years old. So maybe worth a try looking at old ads too. I found about 5 potential yards, all of which hadn’t advertised with covid however were willing to allow me to move on as long as i followed their covid rules.

holeymoley

Visit site
I agree that if you take your tack home they usually find something else to fit. Been there got that tshirt. Likewise it wasn’t run as a business, definitely cliquey. The place was definitely a few crumbs short of a biscuit.

Chianti

Visit site
"the yard is very cliquey and not treated like much of a business"

I've found this to be the case all too often.

I'm afraid that's been my experience as well and one of the reasons why, when my last was PTS, I said I'd never have another. I eventually did buy again but with him I've been on some hum dingers! I always say that to a large extent it's the only service industry that hasn't moved into the 21st centruy.

Sugar Plum

Visit site
Why are so many yards so dreadful? It is a service industry but if these yards were a shop or restaurant they wouldn't last a week. Why is it so different for livery yards? i think there is an issue with people leaving not wanting to make waves or saying anything bad because it is a "small world". I am sorry, but if a yard allows your horse to be ridden by someone without your permission, they need to be called out about that. Surely there must be a Facebook group somewhere where people can vent their spleens? As long as you have proof on your side, no one can take you to court over a bad review - look what reviews do for restaurants and hotels, or even goods we buy on Amazon of eBay. I read a product's review before I make a decision to buy, livery yards should be the same. Anyone up to setting something like this up (if it isn't a thing already)?