Blooming ungrateful horses!! Grrrrr!!

Fee Fo

Visit site
WELL, I ASK YOU!!??

I have had a minor haylage catastrophe. I ordered more weeks ago, but hampered by the last bale and a half being good for no more than the manure dump and the weather meaning I can't pick it up, my husband and I had to do a mercy dash today to a friends farm to pick up 5 little bales of hay to tide me over. Perfectly nice palatable stuff. However, this evening I go out to check my "little cherubs" to find 2 perfectly untouched haynets and 2 completely trashed straw beds. What more can I do??!! Is this the equine equivalent of the princess and the pea??!!

hadfos

Visit site
WELL, I ASK YOU!!??

I have had a minor haylage catastrophe. I ordered more weeks ago, but hampered by the last bale and a half being good for no more than the manure dump and the weather meaning I can't pick it up, my husband and I had to do a mercy dash today to a friends farm to pick up 5 little bales of hay to tide me over. Perfectly nice palatable stuff. However, this evening I go out to check my "little cherubs" to find 2 perfectly untouched haynets and 2 completely trashed straw beds. What more can I do??!! Is this the equine equivalent of the princess and the pea??!!

Lol...you are not on your own...but sadly my knoob of a horse does it with his water(a very precious resource atm as you probably know too well?)!
Put my back out on Monday lugging huge water containers about,ibuprofen'd up,continue to struggle with water for him,and he chucked it all over yard :( SO not only did i need more water i had to find some grit for the fecking yard aswell Grrrr...God love em eh :D

Lakelandcross

Visit site
During the summer we build a field shelter for our 3 who live out 24/7.

Do they appeciate it? No.

The field has been covered by a foot of snow for the last week and they haven't crossed the threshold.

Before the snow it was wet and windy for 2 weeks and they stood facing the shelter with their bums turned to the wind.

CeeBee

Visit site
Mine live out with field shelter about 2 foot deep with straw. Do they use it? Yes! But only to wee and poo in!
They have big round bale of hay in field. New one delivered Saturday. Harvey immediately sits on it. back legs off the ground, scratching his bum - wish I could have videoed it - could have got a well needed £250 from 'You've been framed'!
By Sat night, bale totally trashed, but still edible. By this morning, totally flattened by them both lying in it (remember the 2 foot of straw still in 20 foot field shelter?). And it all smells of wee, like a stable long overdue for a good mucking out!
Yes, mine are very ungrateful.....

0ldmare

Visit site
Its weird, so many horses just dont seem to want the hay this year :confused:

I just posted somewhere else on the forum about one of mine refusing point blank to eat it. And its beautiful hay as far as I can see - and ultra fussy mare agrees with me. But he's just not going to give in I dont think. At least you have only 5 bales (albeit at huge effort) I've got 160 bales :(

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Old farming trick we used to use for the bullocks to get them to eat the poor hay - dilute some molasses or black treacle with warm water and pour it onto the hay with a watering can that has a rose fitted. It's never failed yet.

Fee Fo

Visit site
RIGHT! The gloves are off! It's psychological warfare!

I've bedded-up using hay and filled the haynets with straw! HA!! That'll learn 'em!!;):p