"Blue cap" on lorry

ann-jen

Visit site
I've bought a new chassis to be shortly converted into a Horsebox. It's got this extra tank adjacent to the fuel tank, something to do with exhaust/fuel emissions I think. Don't have it on my old box. So my question is, how often does it need topping up and where can you get this done? Fuel stations? Or less convenient than that? DAF only? Thanks :)

humblepie

Visit site
Don't quote me on it but it is probably for something called adblue ....I can find out for you tonight as OH will know but hopefully someone will advise you in the meantime. Pretty sure not a major hassle.

urbansea25

New User
Visit site
It's your Adblue tank, obligatory on all diesel trucks since 2009 / introduction of Euro 5 emmissions standard engines. It's a Eurea based solution that acts a little like a catalytic convertor would on a car to improve emissions quality. You can buy it now at truck dealerships, in truck stops (some have it available by the diesel pump) or in some garages. Refer to your vehicle's manual for instructions.

ann-jen

Visit site
Yes I think that's it. So do I just buy a big container of it and fill it as necessary. I'm not sure how regularly it'll need filling or whether it may run low somewhere inconvenient if you can't fill it at petrol stations ....

Sheep

Visit site
I'll ask my bf later, he drives for a living and often has to add adblue to the tank - on his DAF (artic) there is a magnet inside the tank that the adblue pump connects to, otherwise it doesn't dispense it - just in case you get it to a pump and cant get it to work, though that might be different depending on model etc! Or it may vary depending on the type of pump - he normally gets it from a truck stop just over the Irish border.

http://www.daf.eu/SiteCollectionDocuments/UK/adblue_the_facts.pdf

Pg12/13 shows you quantities and consumption :)

Last edited:

ironhorse

Visit site
Most of the big garages that have a lot of trucks going through will sell Ad-Blue, or you can get it from an agricultural merchants and top it up at home (the latter will probably be cheaper but you may need to buy a big container!)