Blue Cross Horse

Beccahope01

Visit site
Hi
I’m looking for anyone who has had experience with taking on a horse from Blue Cross. Once ownership of the horse is transferred to you after the first year, do you still have inspections? And also do you still have to abide by the signed agreement?

Beccahope01

Visit site
They told me after a year they transfer ownership so that they can take on more horses, but I’m not entirely sure what that means. When reading through the contract it does sound like they will still own the horse

Auslander

Visit site
They sign over ownership once they are happy that the horse is being well cared for, and is in the right home. There are no further inspections, but there are conditions attached, ie; you agree that if you can no longer keep the horse, that you do not sell/rehome it. If it's a non ridden companion, you need to agree that the horse/pony will not be ridden, that sort of thing
They are sensible though - Ivan was signed over to me as a non ridden companion, and it stated on the paperwork that he was not to be ridden - but as it's due to his size, they are actually perfectly happy for him to be ridden/driven. My welfare officer said "The cheeky little beggar needs a job!"

Berpisc

Visit site
Mine is non ridden and from a local charity. She came to me on the condition that I did not breed from her and I cannot sell her. If something happens to me she goes back to the charity. That is how I understand most "adoptions" from charities work? Otherwise it would be very bad news for the horses or dogs for that matter who go re homed.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Mine is non ridden and from a local charity. She came to me on the condition that I did not breed from her and I cannot sell her. If something happens to me she goes back to the charity. That is how I understand most "adoptions" from charities work? Otherwise it would be very bad news for the horses or dogs for that matter who go re homed.
I have heard once you rehome from a dog rescue that's the end of their 'control' or at least dogs being sold on! Don't know how true that is, since it seems easier and cheaper to steal them.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I would be interested to know what the legalities are if ownership has truly been signed over. However, there's obviously a moral element too- if you've taken a horse on from a charity and they've asked essentially for "first refusal" if you can't keep the horse anymore, then I think morally one has to stick to that (but I also think you should with a private seller).

mavandkaz

Visit site
I've got a blue cross companion pony, although he can't be signed over to me as he is actually whw pony but was loaned to the blue cross as they had more room. Although my welfare officer knew I wouldn't want him signed over anyway, as the plan was always that he would eventually go back/be rehomed once the little oldie passed away.
Have never looked into the contract/agreement so would be interested to see what it actually says and how legally binding it is.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I’m not sure contracts with clauses about selling on would be legally enforceable? The only time I could see a charity wanting to legally enforce such is if the horse then goes on to be a welfare case, in which situation I’d bet their limited resources would be dealing with the culprit, not you? Just my thoughts.
Morally of course is a different thing entirely- if I’d adopted a horse in goodwill, I’d want to honour their wishes.

supernova21

Visit site
I've had my Blue Cross pony for over 12 years and I would definitely consider having more in the future.

He's been signed over to me for years now and they are a lovely charity to deal with. Inspections stopped once he was signed over but you can still contact them if need be

Polos Mum

Visit site
I am sure they are great for companion ponies but I had a very expensive and unpleasant experience with a supposedly ridden horse. Shame as I love to deal with charities but they used him as a money making scheme and were very unhappy when I wouldn't go against vet advice and start expensive investigations into a horse that had not coped (stayed sound) with gentle build up work over only a few weeks.

OP go in with your eyes wide open - get them vetted in the same independent way you would if you were handing over £500 fee (plus £400 transport!) for any other horse and if they say anything about returns / swapping if it doesn't work out or any other conditions that are important to you, make sure you have that all in writing.

Lacuna

Visit site
I have had my BX pony for 6 years now and he was signed over to me after 3 years,

He came to me as a project - adoption fee £250 and £50 delivery (within Oxfordshire). I would certainly go back to them for a companion pony for him in the future. Easy to deal with and after the first year - all inspections were done virtually.