Blue cross rescue - experiences please

Marigold4

Visit site
My dear old companion pony was PTS last week. Very sad but it was the best thing for her.

So now I have one lonely down in the dumps horse who needs a field friend. I've looked at the Blue Cross ponies and applied for one. I like the idea that if any thing happened to me, the pony would have somewhere to go and that they have been checked over and quarantined. Looking for something older and barefoot , about 13hh with no immediate major health issues - and one that stays in its field and gets on with others.

Has anyone done this before? How did you get on? Were you happy with the pony and their contract terms? am I looking for the impossible?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I know of someone who has Blue Cross horses, she took on one very difficult to place horse. As above, pragmatic, but they do visit. I've no idea of the terms and conditions.
There is one local rescue charity that has a condition that you pay a monthly donation to the charity for as long as you have the pony. I suppose that is reasonable in a way, but it put me off when there are enough ponies around looking for a home for free (although it isn't always as easy as you might think to get the right match).

HeyMich

Visit site
No experience of BC but I have just taken on a pony from another local rescue centre. It's been a smooth and very easy process, the pony was very thoroughly assessed, and matched to our needs. I'm also glad they they would always take the pony back, no questions asked, should our situation change. I would definitely go to them again if we need another pony/horse for any reason.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I had a very bad experience, but that was a ridden horse. i'm sure a companion would be more straight forward.

I loaned a companion from Bransby horse - they were really lovely to deal with.

I think Redwings also have a good reputation.

I would imagine they are all full to bursting with smaller companion types, good luck. Any reputable charity will want to do a home check before hand and checks afterwards.

mavandkaz

Visit site
I have a blue cross pony - a companion Shetland. Although it has worked out well, it was not easy and I probably wouldn't go through them again. For a charity that must have more animals then they can really afford, they made it quite difficult.

I enquired about an old Shetland to keep my old girl company. She was already taken, so they matched me with another younger Shetland. Went to visit him, all seemed ok.

They down played how bad his sweet itch is, and also how bolshy he was (he has improved immensely). They made it clear that he was not to be ridden, which was fine, but didn't really say why. I think probably because he would be dangerous - I have in the past tried to lunge him to help shift weight, and he spent most of his time either on his back legs, or running backwards at me. Although that might just be a cheeky Shetland thing.

Anyway, I signed the paper work. The rehoming fee was more then expected.
I then needed to have a home check - fine, but the local volunteer only worked 10-2 on weekdays. So took ages to get sorted and wouldn't have happened if I hadn't threatened to walk away - some one came out that weekend.

I had said I would collect him, but they wouldn't let me and insisted on travelling him themselves, at a cost per mile.

So my loan Shetland ended up costing around £300 and a load of hassle (I was offered plenty of free ones locally).

They used to come out yearly to check him, and I have to send pictures and an update yearly. They have now reduced their visits to every other year. They are also starting to sign over their companion ponies, but my boy was originally from WHW so he is not theirs to hand over. And I wouldn't anyway, as he is only meant to be here to keep my elderly one company until the end of her days, and then he would be rehomed again.

You will have to have public liability insurance and provide proof yearly. And you have to keep up with vaccinations and teeth and provide proof - although you can technically claim this money back, but it is a faff.

Sorry, that got a bit long!

Lintel

Visit site
I thought I would add in that I have found WHW excellent to deal with and still have my little companion Shetland.
Thought we were going to have to get him PTS a few weeks ago, but he has bounced back with a bang.. apparently this is a breed trait of the shitland!
WHW were very supportive throughout and were able to let me get a companion the next day if I needed, having two at home meant that one would be left alone which I wasn't comfortable with.
6 monthy visits the chap is lovely and unintrusive, always makes sure he talks to the little man although my own Hipo is always in his face first. He can clearly see they are both well kept and cared for so has never had to do anything but pet them!

10/10*

Nicnac

Visit site
I had a companion TB from them for a few years and then passed it on (with their blessing) to a friend who needed a companion as I had 3 by that time. I found them excellent and very easy but they closed down their centre in East Sussex where I got Bill from.

Marigold4

Visit site
I thought I would add in that I have found WHW excellent to deal with and still have my little companion Shetland.
Thought we were going to have to get him PTS a few weeks ago, but he has bounced back with a bang.. apparently this is a breed trait of the shitland!
WHW were very supportive throughout and were able to let me get a companion the next day if I needed, having two at home meant that one would be left alone which I wasn't comfortable with.
6 monthy visits the chap is lovely and unintrusive, always makes sure he talks to the little man although my own Hipo is always in his face first. He can clearly see they are both well kept and cared for so has never had to do anything but pet them!

10/10*
Thanks - that was useful. I'd forgotten about WHW. I'll have a look!

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have a Blue Cross companion. Love him!
The process was very easy. There was nothing on the website and I’m very local to Burford BC so I called in.
They had several not on the website. We met them and filled out the forms there and then.
Had a home visit a few days later.
Then he arrived a few more days later.
He’s completely as I was told. They visited once a year, then I did virtual visits. Sent dated photos and details.
He’s now signed over to me but I had the option to say no if i wanted to continue the loan.

Barnsey

Visit site
I have one, first had a home visit, to make sure yard was suitable, then went to visit them, and meet her was assessed, handling and riding. Signed paperwork paid for her and picked her up 2 weeks later. Had a couple of visits from them, one virtual. She was signed over to me and I have had her 5 years yesterday. I would have another in a heartbeat. I took her on as a project which did reduce the price. I always have the option that if anything happens to me and I can't continue to look after her, she will be returned or rehomed with their home from home scheme. There are quite a few people on here that have them. Best thing I ever did. I found the process easy and they were very helpful. Talk to them you have nothing to lose and good luck with finding the one for you.pm me if you need any more info happy to help.

Ceriann

Visit site
I have one - went to see a few but reserved and they contacted me with another they thought would be suitable. Whole process pretty straightforward. They do checks once a year, you must have insurance (public liability) and you need to vaccinate. My mare has her quirks but nothing major - I have now taken ownership of her (she came for 6 months about 7 years ago!) but it is your choice.

Auslander

Visit site
I've got two here - one is mine, and one belongs to a livery. Very easy process. They listened carefully to what I needed - small, feisty and able to hold his own with the big horses, and Boy, did they deliver. He's a little scrote, but I love him!
The checks are fine, as long as you're looking after them properly. They are VERY hot on weight - I've been gently chastised a few times for Ivan being a bit porky, but it was a fair cop!
Didn't have any issues with unexpected costs - they told me what the rehoming fee was, and didn't push transporting him to us themselves.
Ivan has been signed over to me now, but if my circumstances change, they will happily take him back at any point of his life

Marigold4

Visit site

10/10*

Well, I found a lovely old pony on the WHW website, applied for her but it was an immediate NO! The pony must be kept barefoot, however the excellent professional who has trimmed my other horses for years and who is an Applied Equine Podiatrist & IAEP Licensed Instructor is not allowed to trim her - it must be a registered farrier. Pony was 22 with a skin condition but apparently had a queue of people wanting her! :(

Lintel

Visit site
Well, I found a lovely old pony on the WHW website, applied for her but it was an immediate NO! The pony must be kept barefoot, however the excellent professional who has trimmed my other horses for years and who is an Applied Equine Podiatrist & IAEP Licensed Instructor is not allowed to trim her - it must be a registered farrier. Pony was 22 with a skin condition but apparently had a queue of people wanting her! :(
That's disappointing to hear :(
They normally reserve them or home pending on the website if they have people waiting?