Blue cross rescue?

Kirsty87

Visit site
Hi everyone. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place! Has anyone rescued from Blue Cross before? What was the process like if so? We have plenty of land and time at home, so thought be nice to give a rescue a home x

Auslander

Visit site
They prefer the term "rehome", as none of their horses need rescuing!
i have two here. THe process was simple - you express an interest, they give you an appointment to go and meet the horse/pony, at which you will have a sit down chat with them to ensure you are capable/know what you're letting yourself in for, and all being well, they will do a homecheck, and then let you know when the horse has had its pre-rehoming health check, at which point you can go and collect it.
They arrive with a file which contains passport and health records. You must insure the horse, and they will ask for proof annually when renewal time comes up.
They do regular homechecks, which include weigh-taping, and a chat about management, and there is a phone number specifically for blue cross loaners, which you can call any time if you have problems.
I rate them very highly - great bunch of people

Kirsty87

Visit site
Sorry yes, rehoming 🤦not rescue ☺️ I hope North Wales isn't too far for them to do their home check, ah great I have shown interest in two, fingers crossed, x

HorseyTee

Visit site
I have a blue cross pony.
I can't really fault the process.
I contacted them with a few ponies I was interested in and what I was looking for. After a chat they narrowed it down to a particular pony. I met him. They met me and saw what skills I had and asked questions.
Then came the home check and then the pony came home.
You are given a person to who you can contact at any time for help or advice. They are very supportive with any issues or questions.

My pony is fantastic, has been a pleasure to have around. We had a home check after so many months to ensure the match was going well and they were more than happy.

I'd definitely be happy dealing with them again if I was ever looking for a new addition.

pansymouse

Visit site
I have but it was many years ago - I had a lovely pony from them who taught everything else to escape but was so sweet he was constantly forgiven. He was with me until the end of his life. The Blue Cross were supportive but not intrusive.

turkana

Visit site
I had a Blue Cross horse & would use them again, I got a super a little riding horse from them, they were supportive but not instrusive, she became critically ill & they were supportive, spoke to my vet but apart from that left her care in my hands, she lived but was PTS a few years later, again there were no issues & let me make the decision to do it when I felt the time was right.
I'm a do it too soon, not too late person & they were fully on board with that.

mavandkaz

Visit site
I have a companion Shetland from the Blue Cross, and wouldn't get another one from them. They were very hard to deal with.
Understated how bad his sweet itch is, kept the cost of rehoming quite quiet, and wouldn't let me collect him - had to pay for them to deliver him.
They made it clear he was not to be ridden, not a problem, but they didn't make it clear it's because he is dangerous.
Took forever to organise the pre-home check as the local volunteer could only do weekdays 10-2!
Luckily they now only visit every other year, rather then every 6 months. And they are now signing companions over rather then them being on loan.

Barnsey

Visit site
I have one, had her for nearly 4 years, very simple process, she has now been signed over to me, took her on as a project, they would be my first port of call if I was looking for another. I filled in a form, they contacted me, and invited me to the centre, where I had to have a riding assesement (due to they did not know if Harriet had been backed, she was in their care after having a foal, and to make sure I knew what I was doing) I had to lunge and then handle her . Then the home check, then a couple of weeks later I picked her up. But I know they are there for support should I require it, and if my circumstances were to change, they would be there to help me re-home her. You also get to chat and see updates with fellow borrowers on their own FB page, I have got to meet some great people local to me, and meet their ponies also.

Esmae

Visit site
They prefer the term "rehome", as none of their horses need rescuing!
i have two here. THe process was simple - you express an interest, they give you an appointment to go and meet the horse/pony, at which you will have a sit down chat with them to ensure you are capable/know what you're letting yourself in for, and all being well, they will do a homecheck, and then let you know when the horse has had its pre-rehoming health check, at which point you can go and collect it.
They arrive with a file which contains passport and health records. You must insure the horse, and they will ask for proof annually when renewal time comes up.
They do regular homechecks, which include weigh-taping, and a chat about management, and there is a phone number specifically for blue cross loaners, which you can call any time if you have problems.
I rate them very highly - great bunch of people

Can I ask, what exactly do you insure for?