Blummin greyhounds!

{97702}

Visit site
Whatever you do, never ever get a rescue greyhound..... they are accident prone little monsters! Small white greyhound has come back from a perfectly average dog walk tonight with a gashed leg which will need stitches and a probable broken toe.... pesky little soul :D

Luckily after initially screaming the place down she has now settled down well and relaxed, the wound has been bathed and vet has said it is fine to stitch tomorrow, I will ask them to do x-rays as well to make sure her front leg is OK! Never own greyhounds and thoroughbreds :D :D

twiggy2

Visit site
Lévrier;13029630 said:
Whatever you do, never ever get a rescue greyhound..... they are accident prone little monsters! Small white greyhound has come back from a perfectly average dog walk tonight with a gashed leg which will need stitches and a probable broken toe.... pesky little soul :D

Luckily after initially screaming the place down she has now settled down well and relaxed, the wound has been bathed and vet has said it is fine to stitch tomorrow, I will ask them to do x-rays as well to make sure her front leg is OK! Never own greyhounds and thoroughbreds :D :D

or lurchers

Leo Walker

Visit site
Lévrier;13029632 said:
Oh yes, how could I have not mentioned lurchers.... oh and whippets as well.....

I always think of my whippets as little thoroughbred type show ponies. Designed to be cosseted and admired and never ever exercised in the rain :lol:

Clodagh

Visit site
I decided not to get mine stitched up any more - vet always insisted on a GA and it cost a fortune. So we went self heal and all did fine actually. (Luckily she was slowing up a bit at that point). I have never taken her in for broken toes, I would have been there monthly.

turkana

Visit site
All sighthounds are like this, tiniest cut and you'd think they were being murdered by the screaming being emitted.

I was in the waiting room at the vets once & could hear screaming coming from a room, you'd think there was a dog in there being skinned alive, it was a lurcher having his nails clipped!

I find that rubbing the affected area helps with pain relief!

Visit site
A friends rescue greyhound broke her leg going down the step to the garden, cue various visits to vet, bone pinning, casts, bill somewhere in the region of £2,500 now!

Lacuna

Visit site
Our old whippet lurcher managed to cut three out of four paws to ribbons investigating roof tiles when we had the roof done and then managed to dislocate a toe by cornering too tightly in the garden.

Both times he could have won an oscar with the dramatics involved in bandaging him up and going to the vet

{97702}

Visit site
lol I am loving these examples :D :D I have to admit that Flick is definitely the worst drama queen of my lot :)

She has been left at the vets today for stitches, X-rays, teeth cleaning & nail clipping, I always get them to do an MOT while they are being anaerhiatised - I'm worried sick about her of course even though I know they are very very minor things & she will be absolutely fine :(

I do agree with your decision Clodagh, my eldest greyhound has broken so many toes I've given up with her! :)

KVH

Visit site
Ah, the Greyhound-scream-of-death. I don't think that's a noise you ever get used to, no matter how much you hear it!

Hope she's ok Lévrier and heals quickly, they're such a worry.

twiggy2

Visit site
unfortunately for me mine was not a wimp and every injury (there were many) over the years was spectacular, I took her in after she wrapped herself around a tree at full speed when in hot pursuit of a deer, she was on three legs and border line shock, she screamed when she did it (a lot) at the vets they could get no pain response or cranial drawer despite her being on three legs so we proceeded to surgery as the suspicion was a ruptured cruciate. The vet was shocked by the amount of old and new damage in the joint, she had ruptured it in spectacular fashion at least once before (never been lame though), the meniscus was damaged beyond repair so he cleaned it up and repaired the cruciate-the leg was never 100% again but he gave her another 2 and a half years of running before it went again and she was PTS-I am for ever in his debt as she was my mad crazy loon of a soul mate.

RaposadeGengibre

Visit site
Mine was born and grown up in Portugal so had no knowledge about bunnies and hedges... After being charged 80 quid at the vets for basically a look and a shot of a/b Ive got plenty of antiseptic sprays and he was constantly wearing a coat for the first year in UK. Still, he has more scars than a fighting dog!
Worst injury was when he cut his foot between toes down to the bone (guess where? chasing a rabbit through a hedgerow!) and didnt even squeak. Remembering £80 (I didnt know area that well to look for different vets back then), it taken me at least couple of hours to stop bleeding and 1.5-2" gash (clean cut though) needed a stitch or 2 but heeled nicely and without scarring with plenty of bandaging.
Still the sod is finding ways to scratch or graze himself even in the own garden!

{97702}

Visit site
Well I was stung good and proper by the vet today - as I expected - serves me right for being so gullible and taking her in! 3 stitches, 3 x-rays (foot/elbow/shoulder) to reveal no breaks, and a £300 bill! But brilliant to have her home and well, it is amazing what a huge difference not having a small white greyhound around can make.....

TwyfordM

Visit site
Poor pup, Barney is the biggest drama queen going. Wall of death around the garden usually results in him breaking a leg/toe and screaming in agony until you run over to scoop him up to rush him to the vets but after a check of the cut up but absolutely sound leg he trots off like nothings happened!

That has happened not once, not twice but three times already this year! As well as a stomach infection. Honestly!

Alec Swan

Visit site
Ah, the Greyhound-scream-of-death. I don't think that's a noise you ever get used to, no matter how much you hear it!

I agree, it's distressing to hear any coursing dog 'screaming'. I do though remain convinced that whilst they scream so they actually frighten themselves all the more, and gently holding the mouth shut reduces the scream to a whimper, and very quickly they calm down.

We have a young dog here and the other night he killed his first hare single handed. As he took hold he lost his footing and he and the hare (still held on to!), performed two complete cartwheels. Not a sound came from him, he was that pleased with himself!

Alec.

gryff

Visit site
After his vaccination, my big greyhound cross squeals for about half an hour. I have to do the walk of shame out through the waiting room to evil looks from people who are clearly wondering what cruelty I've inflicted on my poor boy. My little, dainty whippet, on the other hand, is a right little toughy. When she was about 10 months old, I'd taken them out for a walk in the morning, gone for a shower, pottered around a little bit and then walked into the living room to see her curled up in the sofa with three quarters of her neck hanging off!!!!! I had to look more than once because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. She was bundled into the car and rushed to the vets, where she had to have a GA and about 40 stitches. She was mm from catching her carotid artery. She hadn't made even a little squeak. The joys of owning sighthounds - the day she had her stitches out, I was taking my lurcher in for stitches in the afternoon - I was mortified but my vet was a fellow sighthound owner, so was very understanding.

planete

Visit site
Whilst out walking, our Whippet x Lurcher goes into complete meltdown at the presence of a single blade of grass hanging from his undercarriage!

You should see the abject terror exhibited by mine when a crab fly lands on him. He will keep checking himself to make sure it is gone for hours after I kill the thing unless I have shown him the corpse! Sorry about your greyhound' s leg, Lévrier, I hope she mends quickly.