Bob's first (and second!) outing Since his injury last September

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
Well, Bob has come back into work nicely with only a few tantrums, mostly of the yee ha variety rather than the nappy &^$£* of last spring.

As he'd been going so well at home, he went to Barton unaff, he hates the arena to put it mildly. He managed to go up the tunnel without a tantrum, just a few backward steps and into the ring straight into trot, he had a stop at the sheep filler, but that was pretty much it, just a stop, no napping, rearing, bucking monster that we used to have (I vividly remember his first outing there last year, when it took us 4mins and 58secs to complete 8 fences in a clear round :eek: !) He also had a pole down after a strop at some other fence and ran into the bottom of the next. Happy that there was no sign of the monster/troll/mule that used to reside in Bob, I decided to brave Church Farm Open 95cms unaff on the 14th.

W.O.W. He was simply amazing. Collected, extended, listening, bold, just like an old grade A. He's never been so rideable. (I'll ignore the yee ha moment after the first fence which resulted in me amusing onlookers by chastising him verbally in public, something along the lines of "pack it in you goon!" while we rounded a bend to the second fence with him still having 'fun' :D ) It was 2phase but as it was a first 'proper' trip out I just geared up very slightly and left it at that. He was in the lead right to the last rider, so we got a blue frilly and £6, I say 'we', he's mums horse so I guess she gets the winnings.... lol. However I was just so happy to be back on him, jumping, especially with him feeling so good, he was exactly the same if not better for the long break. He's listening far more and is giving a much nicer ride. Can't wait to get back to the BS classes now. He got a packet and a half of polo's for his efforts, plus a feed with extra carrots when he got home. I'd also like to mention how wonderful the caterers there were, after he jumped I'd asked for some cold water for his leg and the caterers kindly gave me a bottle from the fridge, also I was very grateful to the kind gentleman there who held him while I doused his fetlock. Such a lovely, friendly show, really enjoyed myself and Bob certainly did!

Not bad for a £290 cribbing, hat-rack with mud fever and rain scald in december '09. Myself and Karen (the YO's daughter) have put a lot of work into Bob, with some invaluable help from Baydale who kindly put Bob and I up for 2 days and drilled us in some lessons last summer. I've had a lot of help and support from some of the people on these boards, Baydale (hats off!), TarrSteps, Kerry, Angela (fom CVS stud) and SamGirl in particular - I'd just like to thank you all, it really is greatly appreciated and has made a big difference. I know it probably sounds a bit like an oscar-esque speech for a 95cm unaff class, but I've had a rollercoaster of ups and downs and the help, support and guidance has really kept me on track and from despair and I think you all deserve a public thank you, and trust me when I say, this is just the start! :D

Bills

Visit site
What a nice post! Well done for sticking with him and what great results your having! Im sure there is plenty more where that came from! Good luck :)

Rosiefan

Visit site
That's fabulous news - good for you and Bob (and all those people you mentioned in your post) and I bet Mum's just as pleased as you are :)

Navalgem

Good for you! Glad to hear Bob is back out enjoying his jumping, I don't know his story but I can appreciate the ups and downs as I had them with my Welshie!

Thank you! It's moments like these that get you through the downs, that and the head over the door, ears pricked and deafening whinny when they see you!

Navalgem

What a nice post! Well done for sticking with him and what great results your having! Im sure there is plenty more where that came from! Good luck :)

Lol, I think I stuck with him because I felt like we were both 'write-off's'. It's only made me more determined. Thank you - I hope there's lots more to come and hopefully one day I can say we really achieved something special, I believe in him 100%

Navalgem

That's fabulous news - good for you and Bob (and all those people you mentioned in your post) and I bet Mum's just as pleased as you are :)

Thanks :D I wouldn't have made it this far without all that help, this forum has been a godsend to me! Mum was so chuffed she let me give the prize money to my daughter, its her birthday today (6) and she spent it (and over double I had to chip in!) on some gloves for this season! Least she has her priorities right haha!