Body Protector all the time or not?

On the Hoof

Visit site
Just wanted to add that although I don’t wear mine any more, when I did it never bothered me. If you wear one all the time you adjust and don’t notice it at all. I suspect if you never wore a hat putting one on will feel odd, but we all get used to that.
I think you just wrote my post ! I didnt start riding until I was 54 and used a BP from the start, now it doesnt bother me at all although a bit hot in summer. Im going to buy a hitair for summer riding I have decided, the BP helps keep me warm in winter though :) as well as making me feel safer.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Can't stand them, they stop me moving properly to stay in balance, especially if something happens. But I am currently training two young horses and I don't get on without my Point 2 air jacket, which I really rate.

caileag

Visit site
I bought an air jacket after coming off a couple of times this year. I had BP but just never wore it as it was too uncomfortable ( manufacturers take note). I'm in my 50's and hurt my hip in last two falls. Haven't come off in the air jacket yet but it is comfy so I wear it a lot

Griffin

Visit site
I wear mine for hacking and jumping. In the past, if I have been on a horse that I am unsure of, I have worn one for flatwork too. I trust my mare not to do anything silly while we are in the school doing flatwork but I would definitely pop it on for anything more than that.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I honestly can't feel any difference wearing my RS. I don't find it restrictive at all and find it a bit wierd that people hate them so much, although tbf my Outlyne was never that comfy. I may upgrade to an air jacket, but my main concern is forgetting to disconnect and setting it off!
Admittedly I don't bother putting it on for the Fell as her lack of height gives me a false sense of security. As a mum I will definitely be wearing it when I back the youngster though, and Toddler NB will be wearing one when I let him ride without a helper/holder.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Thanks for that ester.....how long have you been hanging on the backs of carriages??:eek:
Not long, it's just one of those things that happens when you hang around here too much ;)

I've had my current (now retired) pony for 13 years, in later years I fell off rarely as knew him well enough. If I get another that I am less sure of I would go down the air jacket route for more regular use.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Just wanted to add that although I don’t wear mine any more, when I did it never bothered me. If you wear one all the time you adjust and don’t notice it at all. I suspect if you never wore a hat putting one on will feel odd, but we all get used to that.

Yes you do adjust but sometimes those adjustments can be bad ;) I think they encourage me to slouch and not use my core properly which is what effects my neck.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I always wear mine. Mainly because my old mare was pretty wild and trampled on me when I feel off once. She got me on my ribs but no damage because I had it on. She also got my leg and even 16 years later I still have a hard lump on it

Also I find my BP stops my boobs bouncing around, and I have somewhere to tuck my phone if I'm not wearing something with pockets

I got without it, once, for the saddle last time. And I really felt weird, like unsafe 😂.

People say they're restrictive but I'm just used to it now, so don't notice that

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I never wore one at all when younger learning to ride etc & bought one at about age 20 for my first time out hunting but didn't end up wearing it. I've since worn it the odd few times XC schooling but that's it & will continue to over solid fences. I will though probably invest in an air jacket in a few years when it comes to backing my youngster - I don't think I'll bounce so well now lol!!

Orangehorse

Visit site
I think it depends on the make because some must be like wearing armour. In Pony Club we used to fall off numerous times, and at gymkhanas, but I don't recall anyone getting hurt. However, roll forward a few years when BP became compulsory for jumping and children who fell off nearly always seemed to break something like arm or wrist and I wondered if it was due to wearing a BP - even though I know it is for our own good, and we don't want our children injured.

I hear good reports of Racesafe, and the Air Jackets. I keep saying I should get one to hack in, as the last riding injury I had was simply going for a quiet hack on a quiet horse that shied when some ducks took off under his nose from a stream we were cantering alongside.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think its entirely personal preference. I never wear a BP at home or at competitions unless its XC or Im backing a youngster. I just haven't felt the need to personally. Probably stupid but I seem to end up winded whenever I fall off with a BP on or last time I chose to wear one on an over enthusiastic horse for a SJ lesson, I fell off landing on my head - I believe because I couldnt bend in a way to land any other way. I hate how much they restrict movement, but I find Racesafes the comfiest. Have you got a comfy BP OP?

JFTDWS

Visit site
I think it depends on the make because some must be like wearing armour. In Pony Club we used to fall off numerous times, and at gymkhanas, but I don't recall anyone getting hurt. However, roll forward a few years when BP became compulsory for jumping and children who fell off nearly always seemed to break something like arm or wrist and I wondered if it was due to wearing a BP - even though I know it is for our own good, and we don't want our children injured.

I wonder about this too - small children do tend to sit very differently with a bp compared to without, and I'm not sure it helps at all. It's entirely possible to fall off and be entirely uninjured, even having been trampled by a horse, but when it happens and you're wearing a BP, the tendency is to assume you're uninjured because of the BP, not despite it.

blodwyn1

Visit site
I always wear my hit air jacket but my 4yr old threw something new at me last week when she got down to roll with me on her! I not only had to lose my stirrups quickly but also remember to unclip my air jacket as I came off her! Apparently for an older lady I moved impressively fast, thank God for adrenalin!

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I have a Outlyne and a Hit Air, bought them both for my gelding who had a massive buck in him. I came off whilst wearing just the Outlyne and really hurt my lower back, however it could possibly have been the way I landed, or I could have hurt myself more if I hadn’t been wearing it, who knows.

After losing my boy, I now have a lovely mare who is testing the boundaries a little. I came off her after a noise related spook, sideways dodge and a bronch last week, fortunately whilst having my lesson so a relative soft landing. But have, just as a precaution started wearing my Hit Air whilst hacking, as I don’t fancy a similar noise spook and landing on concrete.

I just don’t bounce anymore.

Ani2013

Visit site
My daughter had a bad accident and broke her leg. She was wearing an air jacket that went off. First thing paramedic said was "You clever girl" in his opinion it had protected her ribs, spine and pelvis from damage. We both wear our air jackets every time we ride. I dont notice it there, its just like putting my hat on now.

Mule

Visit site
I usually wear them when schooling xc. I haven't done that since this summer and not very often this year, so I haven't been wearing it. If I come off, it tends to be on xc.

Britestar

Visit site
Do what makes you feel comfortable/ confident.
I never get on my big horse without an air jacket. He's big, sharp and it makes me confident to have a bash at pretty much anything on him.
I don't wear it on my old horse, but will wear it when I start my new pony in the new year.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Personally I can't bear them - I wear one when required on a xc course but not other than that.

I can't imagine anything worse than backing a horse wearing one, and an air jacket wouldn't work for me either with backing and riding away, as I often dismount quickly as the need arises (i often prefer to hop off and give a correction from the ground if a youngster is getting it's knickers in a twist, rather than end up with escalating behaviour while I'm in the saddle).

JenniD

Visit site
I always wear mine. Mainly because my old mare was pretty wild and trampled on me when I feel off once. She got me on my ribs but no damage because I had it on. She also got my leg and even 16 years later I still have a hard lump on it

Also I find my BP stops my boobs bouncing around, and I have somewhere to tuck my phone if I'm not wearing something with pockets

I got without it, once, for the saddle last time. And I really felt weird, like unsafe 😂.

People say they're restrictive but I'm just used to it now, so don't notice that
I was obviously in the back row when boobs were dished out! I don't have the bounce problem! You've got my share!! Haha!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I never wear one unless forced .
I do have an air jacket for any dodgy jobs as I don’t do dodgy jobs I think it’s been worn twice .

JenniD

Visit site
Thanks for all your posts, they've given me food for thought. I've looked up various BP's and Racesafes seem to be a lot less chunky than my Harry Hall. It's like a suit of armour! Anyway, Happy Hacking and a happy fall-free New Year.:)

Fransurrey

Visit site
I bought mine to back my mare and thank Zeus I did, as it's saved me more times than I care to admit to. She turned out to be a bronco when stressed or spooked! She hardly does the bronc thing now, 5 years on, but she's still reactive, so it's on for every ride. It's a Racesafe, adjusted at the sides. I don't find it restricts me at all. I wonder how many people try on different types before buying? I had an old racesafe (the over head style), which I found bulky and restrictive, but the one I bought has multiple panels and fastens with a zip. A friend has Charles Owen which again, I didn't like (I tried on every BP on the yard!).

Nudibranch

Visit site
I can't imagine anything worse than backing a horse wearing one, and an air jacket wouldn't work for me either with backing and riding away, as I often dismount quickly as the need arises (i often prefer to hop off and give a correction from the ground if a youngster is getting it's knickers in a twist, rather than end up with escalating behaviour while I'm in the saddle).

I've backed two in a Racesafe and will be doing a third this spring. Never made the slightest difference getting on and off. Horses for courses I suppose.