Body protector and hat recommendations needed please

MissMoo

Visit site
As title really,

Just starting to get back into clinics and competing after years of having a horse who detested these things and really need to invest in a new BP as I would like to do some xc - what types do people recommend these days?

Also, having hit the floor in a rather spectacular flying dismount caused by a bucking episode recently I could also do with replacing my hat, suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

Llee94

Visit site
I have a racesafe which I love. It is made up of lots of separate bits of foam so fits your body instead of squishing bits!
Hat wise, I assume you would be after a skull hat if you are planning on going xc. I have a gatehouse HS1. I really like this hat but it can get quite sweaty as it doesn't have any ventilation as far as I am aware. Gatehouse do also sell a vented skull cap as well but I have never tried it so can't comment on that one.
Just make sure that it is legal for next year in case you want to go out and compete.

rising_promise

Visit site
I've just bought a new bp as the zip on my Rodney Powell went. I bought a Harry Hall Hi Flex and it's so comfy, much more so than the previous ones I've had. Like Llee94's Racesafe, the HH is made up on different squares of foam and is made specifically for the 'female form' so apologies if you're not female.... (though your name may give it away??).

Hat wise I have a Charles Owen J3 which I love. I've got a Charles Owen shaped head so tend to go for their hats for everything (have an Ayr8 for general riding, J3 for XC).

Good luck :)

Newlands

Visit site
I bought a Racesafe yesterday and tested it out XC training today and it was very comfortable and I didn't feel the need to yank it straight off after dismounting. It replaced a Harry Hall Zeus, which I don't recommend (for comfort anyway). Hats, this will depend on what suits your head. I love my HS1 which is pretty old and needs replacing, probably with the RXC1 if it fits and I like it.

LeannePip

Visit site
I also have a race safe (my second one) and a HS1 (soon to be needing my second one!)

If you can afford it the Dainese (sp?) are really comfy unfortunately were out of my budget otherwise i'd have probably gone for one of those, but wouldn't XC in any other hat than my HS1

Fiona

Visit site
I have a vented Champion and really love it but I have a round Champion shaped head lol..

Hubby had an HS1 but it got old so we replaced it with a Charles Owen Pro ll.

If I were replacing either I'd like to try on the CO 4star as it has PAS, ASTM and Snell testing. CO don't normally fit me though.

Fiona

MissMoo

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, looks like Racesafe is the way to go, I have looked at them in the past but not needed one at the time and did try a friends one on, they do seem comfy.

Charles Owen hats do seem to suit me so will have a look at those.

Thanks again!

Batgirl

Visit site
I switched from a racesafe to an airowear and regeretted it (but I have enourmous chesticles). Would get a racesafe if I was getting one again (I am trying to sell my outlyne but it is big size so the market is quiet!)

dibbin

Visit site
I have an Airowear Outlyne, I'd recommend it.

Don't own a skullcap so can't help with that, but I like Harry Hall hats generally - they fit my head well!

philamena

Visit site
Kanteq all the way for me as a BP. It's very different from the racesafe in appearance and structure, but fits so well and feels immensely protective.

VRIN

Visit site
There are some good prices on Rodney Powell 'old style' bps at the moment (£40)- 2009 approved so ok for BE.

BlueThePiebald

Visit site
I have a charles owen skull cap and a champion body protector. The protector is kind of stiff but offers great protection while charles owen helmet is the best piece of gear i have ever invested in- its so comfy!