Body protector recommendations

Twiglet

Visit site
Need to purchase a new BP, probably courtesy of Badminton shopping village. Any recommendations? Am quite ample of bust but also quite asthmatic, so find any that are too restrictive leave me gasping for breath before the first jump.
Any votes for the Racesafe ones? They seem to be a lot more flexible.

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
As ever, my vote is for the Kan! :D
I have big boobs and am claustrophobic, so restrictive BPs make me short of breath and panicky. The Kan is amazing in my opinion, I can breath easily in it and feel very comfortable in it.

D

Deleted member 104317

Racesafe ones are really good, very comfy - and you can get them in your cross country colours!

anna22

Visit site
I have a Charles Owen gel-type one, once it warms to your body it is not restrictive at all...barely know I'm wearing it! And a slight friend with a more than ample bust used to borrow it, saying it was more comfortable than a custom made one. I like the look of the race safe, lots of people wearing them out eventing!

paddi22

Visit site
i found the kan very rigid. I didn't feel like i had enough flexibility in my back or shoulders. It feels very secure and great quality, but just felt too inflexible for me. I changed it and got a racesafe, which i much prefer. it just seems to allow more flexibility.
Saying that though, i'd imagine the kan gives way more protection in a fall, they are very strong.

JGC

Visit site
Since getting my Kan, I have managed to fall off four times (ahem) not having come off for a good ten year stretch. One of the falls was at high speed XC - I was only sore in the bits not protected by the Kan, another of the falls was onto a SJ landing on my back and that one didn't even hurt! Way better protection than my previous bp.

FireFly29

Visit site
Kan only sell direct I believe, and they're not at Badminton this year because I phoned them and asked because I wanted to do the same as you!
They're very helpful if you call them.
If you search Kan on this forum I think theres a few threads about them.

CaleruxShearer

Visit site
Kan all the way! I absolutely love mine and its saved me from some pretty serious internal damage before (I did do a thread about it, it'll be in my post history) Wendy who runs Kan is lovely and very very helpful if you give her a call

Nicnac

Visit site
According to the Beta website no body protectors that are only Beta Level 3 2000 have been able to be made since July 2011. Has Wendy sold out of stock and so that's why she's not at Badminton?
http://www.beta-uk.org/pages/safety/body-protectors.php

Think you are a little mixed up.

No body protectors have been allowed to be made to the 2000 standard since July 2011.

What this means is that they all have to be manufactured to the 2009 standard since July 2011!

:D

KatB

Visit site
The BETA thing is an interesting one, as according to a well respected tack shop who did used to sell man's, they didn't think that BETA would be best impressed with the "tailor made" adjustments that are made on Kans by cutting bits off, as it would make it very hard to test them to the correct standards...

JC1

Visit site
Nic nac if you look at my link on previous page Kans don't have the 2009 standard only the 2000 one so how can she still be making them if Beta say that 2000 can't be manufactured after July 2011.

Nicnac

Visit site
Apologies JC1 - didn't see previous link.

The KAN website states: The current highest performance standard offered is the level 3, Purple Label standard. This standard is essentially their interpretation of BS EN 13158:2000 and BS EN 13158:2009

KAN and BETA are issuing contradictory statements?

So if KAN have been selling BP's since July 2011 under the 2000 standard, surely this makes them unsafe and therefore not conform to the current safety standards? :confused:

JC1

Visit site
I read the beta website to say they couldn't be manufactured after 2011 not that they couldn't be sold. So have Kan just been selling off stock that was made previously?
As Beta are the governing body on the standards I would imagine there website is the correct one.

millitiger

Visit site
Love my Racesafe- I've got a big bust but small waist and the racesafe is perfect as the laces on the side mean I can get it to fit like a made to measure.

Its really flexible and you forget you have it on, but mine has protected me from some stonking falls as well.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
love my racesafe. I had the 2000 version then when the new standard came out I wanted to upgrade. I badly wanted a Kan, really wanted to love it when it arrived but i flippin hated it. Spoke to them and they sent a different size but it made no difference. I also then picked up on the fact they werent 2009 tested ! I spoke to Kan about it, its a while ago but from what I remember, they said they werent at that time doing a version to meet the new standard as they had only just finished making the existing ones when BETA announced a new standard coming in. Given the fact I was disappointed with the darned thing anyway and I imagined there was soon to be a time when BE/XC rules state that all BP's must meet 2009 standards, I bought the new Racesafe 2010 and Im so glad I did - I love it!

I also had an Airowear Outline at one point and found that very comfy.

dianchi

Visit site
Love my Racesafe, plus i got the shoulder pads which felt weird to start with then i didnt even know they were there!