Body Protector recommendations

Lyle

Visit site
I'm searching for a new, comfy, flexible body protector to wear every day (alllll day) while riding breakers/working youngstock. So it needs to be comfortable, ideally light, and flexible. It must been eventing standards level 3 so I can also use it XC, but will do my own research into the standards if you happen to make a recommendation even if you're not sure :) Unfortunately, the standard requirement in Aus means the jockey vests are not usually suitable.

I will be exploring air vests as well for XC, but for ease of the everyday the body protector is more practical, as there is a lot of climbing on/over, jumping up and down etc while backing, and I know I will forget to unhook an air vest at some point!

So hit me up ploise!

Annagain

Visit site
Are you female (sorry your photo is too small for me to tell!) and if so are you blessed in the chest department? This can make a big difference with body protectors and fit. Racesafe are very popular and have drawstring style adjustable sides so can be adjusted to accommodate ample boobage. Aerowear also do one (the outlyne) that is designed for bigger boobs so probably gives a better bespoke fit (rather than just being fiddled with to fit) if you are blessed. It's not as flexible as the Racesafe one and can feel restrictive at first but when it warms up, it's fine.

If you don't need the extra chest room the Racesafe is still a good option and probably the most flexible. I think Champion do a very similar style too.

Are you aiming to buy online? In an ideal world I'd say get yourself properly fitted (I turned out to need a long / slim fit which delighted me as I am far from either and I would never have tried that size on) but I know that might be tricky in Australia.

Air vest wise, I've just bought a Helite gilet one from Treehouse Sporting Colours because I'm vain and wanted to look as 'normal' as possible in one. I really like it, it does look like a normal gilet - if a bit bulky - and it's much lighter than I thought it would be. I forget I have it on most of the time. No unplugging accidents yet thankfully but I'm sure it will happen! They are more expensive, but not loads more. I feel like I could wear it in the summer without being too hot but we'll see.

welshpony216

Visit site
1611058823278.pngI have this one, I cant remember what modal it is, but is a Charles Owen (**not my photo!***) I wear it for several hours (At least 6) a day all week long. It can get a little bit sweaty in the summer, but I find it or flexible than other ones. It depends on your body type/shape though, my friend used to have one of these, but it was to small in the chest, but it fits me very well.

AFB

Visit site
Your body shape will influence what you find most comfortable but without knowing that I'd suggest Racesafe, I only wear mine for XC (i.e. not regularly) and forget I have it on within 5 mins.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I got myself a Dainese in late 2019 and I've been trying to get used to it by wearing it even for lessons in the sandy arena, just because it's obligatory for TREC. I got the man's version (for obvious reasons)but there is also a lady's version.

It's comfortable, not restrictive, but I'm going to have the zip replaced with one a little bit bigger and chunkier so I can get the insert pin through the slider and into the retaining box more easily.

Tash88

Visit site
I have a Racesafe one and I love it - I just wear it for hacking so about 2 hours max but it's so comfortable and doesn't feel restrictive at all, even in the summer. I'm not sure on standards and I'm sure mine probably doesn't meet the standards now as it's about 5 years old, but Racesafe is a popular brand so I'm sure they keep up with legislation.

ArklePig

Visit site
If you're female I can't recommend the Harry Hall one for women enough. It's very comfortable and plenty of room for boobs and bits while still fitting on the hips and shoulders. I think it's called hi flex! Recommend measuring before you buy as it's a bit small fitting but then again I wear mine over a jacket!

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Another vote for racesafe. I came off mine 15 months ago and broke my ribs. OH insisted I got a body protector (wrong side of 55 and no long Bounce) have to say I love it, moulds to my body, light and I dont know I’m wearing it.

lottiepony

Visit site
Reading with interest as I need a new BP as realised mine is rather old now!
I ride all the time in mine, do like the look of the Racesafe Provent 3.0 but also the Dainese...