Body Protector suggestions

jenbleep

Visit site
Hello everyone

I had a break from riding and sold most of my riding stuff...including my Rodney Powell BP.

I am looking to buy another BP as I'm well back into riding and am hoping to try my hand at XC again. Also, I feel safer wearing a BP to try new horses. The last time I bought a BP it was probably 8 years ago, so I assume things have moved on since then. Is there such a thing as a breathable BP?! I always end up sweating buckets when I wear them o_O

I'd like something that offers good protection but allows movement....my Rodney Powell BP did feel a bit like I was wearing a cardboard box.

Any suggestions welcome, and thanks in advance x

oldie48

Visit site
You need to try them. I really liked the racesafe, but it didn't fit me well. My old Rodney Powell didn't stop me from having rather nasty injuries when I had a fairly innocuous fall XC so I was also looking for something a bit more flexible and ended up buying a Helite air jacket but I don't do XC any more. They have improved though.

mini_b

Visit site
I have an airowear outlyne which I’m not keen on, going to swap it for a racesafe when funds allow.

Tried a racesafe on and didn’t feel as restricted/cumbersome as I do in the airowear.

Would suggest trying a few different ones on if you can to check fit and to make sure you feel comfortable in them.

gallopingby

Visit site
Racesafe, more expensive but also more flexible to ride in and have a great support service although always best to try a few makes just to make sure.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I had an Airowear but never felt comfortable in it. I sold it and bought a second hand Rodney Powell and I find it much more comfortable.

If budget was no barrier I'd buy a racesafe or an air jacket.

xDundryx

Visit site
I changed an airowear which I hated wearing for a racesafe which you dont even notice is on, they can be tricky to fit though dependant on shape/back length if I remember from the fitting.

JGC

Visit site
I have a Kanteq and I love it. It's really solid when you pick it up, so I was thinking what on earth have I done ordering this, but it sort of moves with you. I have got into the car so many times with it on because I didn't notice it! I like the technology of it too, which was the initially appeal.

Skib

sites.google.com
Adults should really have a bp that zips up the front.
The big difference in bps is the ones that lace up the side and the ones that have separate closures for breast and waist.
Race safe dont fit my narrow shoulders. You really need to be fited by a professional.They need to be tight and worn over your base layer but under heavy jackets and other clothing.

oldie48

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. So Racesafe could be a safe bet...

Now to try and find somewhere to try a few! :)
Racesafe have a guide on their website but be warned I found I needed a smaller size than I thought using the guide and fitter said that is normal, however I rang my nearest supplier just to check they had the sizes in that I thought I needed to try. It's really annoying to make a trip and then find that they don't have the size that fits so it is worth checking first as there are three back lengths in each size .

AFB

Visit site
I have a RS, forget I have it on after 5 mins and only wear it for XC.

They do a more vented/mesh version than mine now too.

LJF0664

Visit site
I've just bought the RaceSafe Provent, and I love it after a few years of a rigid Rodney Powell. I really liked the look of the Champion Ti22, which is a similar style and slightly cheaper. When I tried it on it was a lovely fit around my body, but I found that the bottom of the back section rested against my lower back so I could feel it when I moved. The RaceSafe has a fold in the 'tail' (is there a correct term for this bit of the BP??), which stops that happening. I was told by a physio years ago that I have a slightly more pronounced arch in my spine, but this never occured to me! I highly recommend getting one fitted, as I would have ordered the Champion based on the info avaliable.

oldie48

Visit site
Make sure you sit on a saddle that is like the one you ride in, I thought the short racesafe was fine until I sat in a saddle, I have a really short back and it got hooked up tbh i was gutted as I really liked it.

jenbleep

Visit site
Racesafe have a guide on their website but be warned I found I needed a smaller size than I thought using the guide and fitter said that is normal, however I rang my nearest supplier just to check they had the sizes in that I thought I needed to try. It's really annoying to make a trip and then find that they don't have the size that fits so it is worth checking first as there are three back lengths in each size .

Thank you for the tip :)

AFB

Visit site
Make sure you sit on a saddle that is like the one you ride in, I thought the short racesafe was fine until I sat in a saddle, I have a really short back and it got hooked up tbh i was gutted as I really liked it.
Racesafe will make custom fit if needs be, I was between back lengths IIRC so had a custom.