Body protectors… who wears them

SheriffTruman

Visit site
I had to when I took jumping lessons at a riding school. Bought one second-hand. Fits fine, I hated it. Restricted my upper body, felt like I couldn't move properly. Maybe it was just not a good one, wasn't expensive, I'm sure there are better builds on the market. Never wore it since I stopped the lessons.

Wear my hat religiously.

Fjord

Visit site
@palo1, that's interesting what you say, I find I have more confidence when I put my BP on!

Re the hospital visits, maybe if fewer people wore BPs there'd be even more visits? Maybe it's just that BPs were worn by many and it did save them to an extent? Don't know, all I know is for some reason I feel 'safer' in mine. But I'm not a confident rider, even though my mare is pretty safe so maybe I'm just a wuss. ?

FinnBobs

Visit site
Always for jumping and fast hacks/ up the gallops but not always for slow hacks unless I'm going on the road and never for flatwork.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
When I have to for XC and whenever it seems to look at me before I get on.

With my previous horse I had a (non regulation) lightweight one that I often wore. With my current horses, not very often.

palo1

Visit site
@palo1, that's interesting what you say, I find I have more confidence when I put my BP on!

Re the hospital visits, maybe if fewer people wore BPs there'd be even more visits? Maybe it's just that BPs were worn by many and it did save them to an extent? Don't know, all I know is for some reason I feel 'safer' in mine. But I'm not a confident rider, even though my mare is pretty safe so maybe I'm just a wuss. ?

There is no logical reason not to wear a body protector but we all do what feels best and safest for us. The psychological element of wearing one was related, most likely, to my own views about starting young horses tbh. My tools are limited but for me, the relaxation and calm reassurance that a young horse, particularly a reactive one, needs was just not in place when I started wearing body armour that I don't usually wear iyswim. If I were in the habit of always wearing a bp it would be entirely different. For me, not in the habit of wearing one as well, the fact that I might suddenly think I need one would indicate that something in my planning, training or situation was amiss and I would look to that before anticipating how a bp might prevent an accident. I want to prevent accidents before I get to the falling off bit lol!!

Also, although it is normal to wear protective kit in our horse/riding culture, it isn't that way everywhere - I have very much enjoyed travelling and experiencing other cultures so it doesn't seem possibly as 'regulation' as it might do to other folk but I do agree that bps might save trips to hospital.