Body Protectors - Racesafe or Champion

TealH0rse

Visit site
Hi all

I am hoping to switch body protectors soon. Got an Airowear a few years ago which I never wear because of how restrictive it is.

I’m going to be fitted for a racesafe provent next week as I have a local stockist. However, the champion Ti22 look more flexible due to the extra segments at the back. No stockists local to me, so this would be an hour+ drive to get one fitted.

What are your opinions on each? Looking for something lightweight, flexible and comfy (as comfortable as body protectors can be, anyway) for daily use/jumping.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I have a Racesafe Provent - it's lighter more comfy and much cooler than the previous Racesafes I've owned (which were great in their own right tbf).

I genuinely do forget I'm wearing it ?

The only other type of BP I've had though was a big blocky monstrosity - think it was a Just Togs one (circa 2003) ?

Edited to add that I use mine for all hacking & fast work - I don't jump these days.

TealH0rse

Visit site
I have a Racesafe Provent - it's lighter more comfy and much cooler than the previous Racesafes I've owned (which were great in their own right tbf).

I genuinely do forget I'm wearing it ?

The only other type of BP I've had though was a big blocky monstrosity - think it was a Just Togs one (circa 2003) ?

Edited to add that I use mine for all hacking & fast work - I don't jump these days.

That sounds great!

Do you find that the shoulder sections fit well? My only concern about these types of protectors is that they have no shoulder adjustments like the Airowear does (although the ones on the Airowear are part of the issue with comfort, they dig in even when they aren’t done up close to the skin).

I’m planning to use it for road hacking and the odd bit of jumping, so it sounds like it’d be a good choice for me.

Skib

sites.google.com
My airowear is not restrictive once it warms up. But no bp should be loose round the shoulders or waist. Beacuse it is important that it doesnt ride up in a fall and catch you under the chin.

TealH0rse

Visit site
My airowear is not restrictive once it warms up. But no bp should be loose round the shoulders or waist. Beacuse it is important that it doesnt ride up in a fall and catch you under the chin.

My Airowear has been fitted professionally and checked since, but the material is still very stiff and uncomfortable regardless of how much it warms up. Seems to be a common view that Airowear is uncomfortable compared to many other brands.

teddypops

Visit site
I have a racesafe provent too. I previously had airoware. The racesafe is much easier to wear. I haven’t tried a champion to compare though.

LJF0664

Visit site
I really liked the look of the Champion, and it is slightly cheaper than the Racesafe, so found a stockist that had both so I could compare. The only difference for me was that the back panel of the champion is one piece (although with the flexible pieces), while the Racesafe Provent sort of folds at the bottom. It might not make a difference to everyone, but I could feel the movement of the Champion everytime I turned, but the Racesafe moulded to my back a lot better. Hopefully that makes sense - I think it depends on body shape, as I know I have a slight over arch in my lower back.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
That sounds great!

Do you find that the shoulder sections fit well? My only concern about these types of protectors is that they have no shoulder adjustments like the Airowear does (although the ones on the Airowear are part of the issue with comfort, they dig in even when they aren’t done up close to the skin).

I’m planning to use it for road hacking and the odd bit of jumping, so it sounds like it’d be a good choice for me.

Shoulders fit well ?

TealH0rse

Visit site
I really liked the look of the Champion, and it is slightly cheaper than the Racesafe, so found a stockist that had both so I could compare. The only difference for me was that the back panel of the champion is one piece (although with the flexible pieces), while the Racesafe Provent sort of folds at the bottom. It might not make a difference to everyone, but I could feel the movement of the Champion everytime I turned, but the Racesafe moulded to my back a lot better. Hopefully that makes sense - I think it depends on body shape, as I know I have a slight over arch in my lower back.

Ahh this is so helpful. Decision has been made on racesafe - I was hoping to avoid any full back panels without flexible sections and assumed Champion was in lots of sections due to the outer layer. Half the reason I don’t like my Airowear is because of the full panels everywhere. Racesafe it is! Thank you.

2ndtimearound

Visit site
Sorry I’m late to the party, but I have a Champion! As with any other body protector, even though it and the Racesafe are similar, it will still come down to fit. When buying my previous body protector, I tried a Racesafe and Airowear, and found the Racesafe didn’t fit me well enough, so I went with the Airowear. When I needed to replace that, I found the Champion fits me fine. So, if you try the Racesafe and it doesn’t fit, the Champion might be worth a try.

LJF0664

Visit site
Ahh this is so helpful. Decision has been made on racesafe - I was hoping to avoid any full back panels without flexible sections and assumed Champion was in lots of sections due to the outer layer. Half the reason I don’t like my Airowear is because of the full panels everywhere. Racesafe it is! Thank you.

It does still have the flexible panels, but the bottom of the Racesafe has a kind of flap at the bottom so has extra movement. Hopefully the image makes more sense, as I'm describing it terribly!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-09 084657.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-09 084657.png
    613.7 KB · Views: 8
Visit site
My lovely husband has offered to buy a back protector for Christmas. My daughter has an airowear but reading this thread I was considering a race safe. I don't jump but do share a five year old with my daughter and we are starting to get out a bit more, had our first solo hack today, and she does put the odd buck on so a back protector seems like a good idea.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I have a race safe pro vent which I use every time I ride, so much comfier than my old aerowear due to the greater flexibility as its several panels not just one. I lost any nerve I had when it comes to jumping so I don't jump just hack, including galloping and it doesn't hinder me at all.

Your best bet would be to try the race safe, then drive to see the champion if you fancy it, then you will know what the race safe is like rather than having to make the journey then have no comparison, as if you like the champion you can buy it while there, or go back home and get the race safe

TealH0rse

Visit site
My lovely husband has offered to buy a back protector for Christmas. My daughter has an airowear but reading this thread I was considering a race safe. I don't jump but do share a five year old with my daughter and we are starting to get out a bit more, had our first solo hack today, and she does put the odd buck on so a back protector seems like a good idea.

Body protectors are great for peace of mind if nothing else! They’ve helped with my confidence in the past after falls, so they’re certainly worth investing in.

I ended up getting the racesafe and it is perfect. Even managed to get fitted to a child’s size so saved myself £35!

If your daughter is young, Airowear is quite good, solely for that fact that they have more adjustability and guide lines for when someone has grown out of the adjustable areas (at least mine does).

The only downside of racesafe is there is no way to take the lining off to clean it like there is with the Airowear, so it’s a bit harder to clean. They make liners so not a huge issue with mud, just might mean buying some spray to freshen up the smell after a sweaty ride lol.

Cob Life

Visit site
I adore my racesafe!
i never wore a back protector because my old champion was so uncomfortabl and restrictive and bulky, I never ride without one now, I very rarely jump and never over 60/70cm but even for my dressage lessons on my instructors school master I wear one as my worst 2 falls were both off foot perfect school masters

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve not actually ridden in it yet but I’m not sure I’m going to like riding in my Racesafe Provent 3. I bought one because of the good reviews here but It’s really bulky and I really notice the padding poking the underside of my arms. I hope it feels better to ride in.

TealH0rse

Visit site
I’ve not actually ridden in it yet but I’m not sure I’m going to like riding in my Racesafe Provent 3. I bought one because of the good reviews here but It’s really bulky and I really notice the padding poking the underside of my arms. I hope it feels better to ride in.

Did you get properly fitted for one?

The padding on any body protector can feel stiff before you warm it up by wearing it. Have you tried anything other than racesafe? No body protector is going to be completely unnoticeable but for me racesafe is by far the most flexible, lightweight and comfortable!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Did you get properly fitted for one?

The padding on any body protector can feel stiff before you warm it up by wearing it. Have you tried anything other than racesafe? No body protector is going to be completely unnoticeable but for me racesafe is by far the most flexible, lightweight and comfortable!

Yes fitted in shop. I had a very old Airowear before but I’m not a regular wearer as only use xc really and I don’t do it that often although I’m hoping to do some next year if my horse isn’t a complete idiot. I do wear a Point 2 air jacket day to day.

TealH0rse

Visit site
Yes fitted in shop. I had a very old Airowear before but I’m not a regular wearer as only use xc really and I don’t do it that often although I’m hoping to do some next year if my horse isn’t a complete idiot. I do wear a Point 2 air jacket day to day.

It’s a shame racesafe didn’t work for you! Hopefully you find a brand that is comfortable enough for you to do some xc next year :) might be worth looking at gatehouse? Their helmets fit lovely, I’ve just never seen a gatehouse bp stockist near me!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Bumping an old thread, but how did you get on with the Racesafe Provent 3 once you rode in it?

I'm off to a big saddlery store soon to get fitted for a back protector. At home I ride in a Hit Air vest, but I'm soon to start refresher riding lessons at a riding school and an air jacket is not appropriate for that scenario.

Looking for a non restrictive body protector that will give good protection to a tall (5'10") but small boobed body shape. I bought my last BP well over 20 years ago, it was a very bulky thing. I believe that BP design has improved a lot since then!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've just got a Racesafe for the same reason, TP, group lessons. The thing about Racesafes is the huge size range you can get. I have a long fronted (tall) extra long back, medium fit. Check out the size chart before you go for a fitting so they don't try to sell you what they have in stock when longer would give you even more protection.

Is the least uncomfortable body protector I've ever had.

Skib

sites.google.com
There is no race safe to fit me (they said) but my first bp was a Champion and laced up the sides.

The problem with bps that lace up the side is that one cant tighten then at the waist without also tightening over ones bust.

mini_b

Visit site
I had an Airowear and it was dreadfully cumbersome and made me not want to wear it.

racesafe - I forget I have it on. The huge range of sizes means I have one that actually fits now.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Bumping an old thread, but how did you get on with the Racesafe Provent 3 once you rode in it?

I'm off to a big saddlery store soon to get fitted for a back protector. At home I ride in a Hit Air vest, but I'm soon to start refresher riding lessons at a riding school and an air jacket is not appropriate for that scenario.

Looking for a non restrictive body protector that will give good protection to a tall (5'10") but small boobed body shape. I bought my last BP well over 20 years ago, it was a very bulky thing. I believe that BP design has improved a lot since then!

I still haven’t used it. I wear an air-jacket for every day but bought it in case I got my brave pants on to do XC ?. Funnily enough I was thinking about trying it out hacking a couple of days ago as dates are now coming up for XC clinics so I thought I should be prepared.