body protectors, what for?

Lyle

Visit site
I'm a big fan of body protectors, having had some very nasty falls with large impact to my upper body, and I've been able to walk away completely fine. If a BP hurts, is too tight, or makes riding difficult, then it doesn't fit. Most common mistake is BP's that are too long, and prevent the rider sitting up/leaning back as the BP hits the saddle. This would probably be the only circumstance where one would 'stop you riding properly'. I always laugh when people use the 'stops me falling properly' card. I believe that, unless one has had professional training in falling, and practiced it enough for it to become a subconscious action, there is no way most of us would actually 'fall properly'. I know I'm usually putting everything into staying on, so when I do come off, I've hit the ground before I can even think! There are few riding sports which are more demanding on stickability, contorting the body, and riding 'creatively', than eventing, especially at 4* level. These riders don't whinge about their BPs!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I only wear mine for backing youngsters and going XC. I have a RS which I love as its very comfy compared to a lot of others. My only negative about them is often they can stop you tucking and rolling (as sometimes you wish to do depending on the fall) and its made me land flat on my back a few times which means I get badly winded, I guess thats fine if it stopped me getting worse injuries but it does impede your movement a bit.

happyclappy

Visit site
They simply minimise injuries, and cannot and do not claim to prevent injuries.
A friend had a well fitted one and came off her horse. She broke her spine.

budley95

Visit site
I wear my body protector every time I get on my horse. It hasn't stopped me falling properly in the 3 times I have since getting one. It stopped me hurting myself when I was thrown and landed on top of a wooden post on the outside of our school, but I still had a bruise. I have the Rodney Powell X3 with enhanced spinal protection, and I love it. The only way you'll really know what one is for you is to go and try a few on at a saddlery. Have it professionally fitted, hang it in the airing cupboard for 24 hours to softeb and then walk round in it for a couple of hours to mould it to your shape. Ride in it everyday for a couple of weeks to get used to it and then you'll be able to decide for yourself what you want to use it for :)