Body protectors

peanut

Visit site
As I seem to be ageing much faster than my horse, I've decided to wear a BP more often. I also find that it gives me the confidence to challenge my rather testing horse even when just schooling.

My current one is incredibly bulky and makes me feel like I've got a spinal board strapped to my back. Can anyone recommend a BP which is comfortable and as discreet as possible?

its_noodles

Visit site
I don't know about you but these are my thoughts and experiences with body protectors:

I have had two major falls that required hospital treatments over a period of 15 years. Following my first major fall, I spent 10 days in a hospital. I left my BP on the bench. It would have helped. I did wear my BP in my second second fall. It didn't help and I spent 6 days in the same hospital. In between, I have had so many falls I actually lost count. I think it's a lottery. It really depends on how you fall. If I manage to roll on the ground to dissipate the energy, I usually walked away. One thing I found with BP is that it actually stops me from rolling. Now I stopped wearing BP altogether.

Now I have a Hit-Air jacket but my instructor don't like me wearing it because she says if might scare the horses if it pops!!! - so you never win!!!

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site
i got mine from their stand at olympia a few years ago, but any supplier who stocks them should fit them fine for you, give them a call and im sure they'd advise. I've also gained, lost and gained weight a few times:eek: (a couple of dress sizes each time) I have a small back and big boobs :D it adjusts really well and is better than a sports bra (I've heard slim women who arent so well endowed have them fit fine as well!) ive had mine over 3 years.
horse and rider magazine (i think its that one) have a section on body protectors this month. the kan did well but I think the racesafe won overall due to the cost as well as the fit and comfort

Quadro

Visit site
Got my racesafe made up by tree house sporting colours. Gave them my measurments and they made it up for me. Fits perfectly and really good service from them.
Q

HelenPassfield

Visit site
I love my rodney powell body protector, also wear a point 2 for xc. What about trying one of those, you hardly notice it;s there just like a waistcoat really.

I did break my back about 4 years ago, I was not wearing either at the time but unfortunately neither would have saved me anyway, I pinged off in a schooling incident and landed on my feet and so got a compression fracture. However, still swear by both for xc.

TrasaM

Visit site
I fell off just once and found out that I had no bounce at all :eek: I bought an Airowear Outlyne. I don't even notice I'm wearing it and I wear it all the time now as I promised my worried family I'd be more careful. Ladies one is woman shaped ;) so it fits quite well and keeps me nice and warm in cold weather.

stacey_lou

Visit site
I had a Kan and fitted all wrong I am tallish at 5'8" and it was too long at the back made my position all wrong n for XCODE no way in hell could I get down a step but if your long in the body his may it you.

I found the original style BP's like the shires ones very rigid

But I bought the airowear flexi a year ago and I love it, very comfy you wouldn't even know you had it on, unlike others I have worn made me feel less safe in the saddle n insecure but I swear by this one and for me nothing beats it

Vanha12

Visit site
Another vote for Racesafe. I love mine and once the little squares are warm you honestly don't realised you have it on, Also, they are not at all bulky, I can wear mine under a relatively close fitting coat.

somethingillremember

Visit site
The best BP is the one that fits you !! Measure bust , waist , neck to waistband of jeans ( normal jeans not low rise) .The back length should be short enough that when on a saddle there is a hands width between bottom of BP and seat of saddle . Look at various info on BP and see who does one in your size, then go and try one or so on.Take your hat . try BP and hat on , sit on a saddle , sit normally , most of us dont sit bolt upright if we are honest ,so sit normally and check the back length and go into jumping position , make sure that the BP doesnt push your hat over your eyes . Most people try BP on in a shop , standing up , then have problems when jumping/XC as the BP pushes their hat over their eyes ... I know fussy fussy fussy that people want to see where they are going whilst jumping/XC !!! Make sure that wherever you go they are trained to fit you . Wear it around the shop for as long as poss this ensures that you can tweak it so its comfy . If you dont like it , dont buy it.Try different makes , some have lacing up the sides ,some velcro ,zip fronts , tabard type ..find whats easy for you to put on and off and is comfy.The other consideration is any events you may attend , make sure it is up to the standard required . Dont forget as an adult you maybe at a certain competition level now but could improve so think before you buy , they are not cheap to buy , you dont want to have to go out and buy another one just cos you and your horse got good !!! LOL

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I have an Airowear Outlyne, molds to my shape, makes me feel more confident, i wear it when i ride my boy out.

The only thing is it makes me really warm, its like a little hot water bottle wrapped around me, great for the winter, abit warm in the summer.

It is now a part of my 'tacking up' gear.

Quadro

Visit site
Lovescobs-im an odd shape and they got me spot on, im 5"7 (so tallish)size 8 and 32d chest but they made mine up with a mix of childs and adults "bits" as it were. I think that the way they are designed they will fit just about anyone and with the adjustable sides you can get away with gaining or losing a few pounds ;)
Q

peanut

Visit site
Thank you everyone for the replies. :)

I'm going to ring round to see who stocks Racesafe and go and try them on. I've been on the Treehouse website and the next show they are attending is in Birmingham which is miles from me.