Pictures Boggle rising 5, 6 and now 7

Michen

Visit site
Either it’s the angle in the rising 6 middle pic or he was bum high and has now grown, though he looks more filled out there than he does now. Is it that or has he actually got less muscle!? I suppose he will have been doing more schooling in the middle photo than the recent one. I’d love to put a stick on him to see re height. Excuse the way he is stood on the recent photo, just manage to snap one before needing to move out of the way for some horses. I have a feeling he will look more different at rising 8! Decided not to scope re ulcers in the end as he just feels fantastic and spring is around the corner for some grass, I did swap the alphabeet for grass nuts but no different. He is fit as a racehorse and nearly jumped his rider out of the saddle schooling today (and did actually eject her into that brush where he misread the question first time!).

Any suggestions for specific pole work exercises to improve that weak back end? He’s hunted most of the winter and has done very, very little flat schooling but I’m getting more committed to it now and no more charging around the countryside, first event this weekend at Swalcliffe!

8A3BABC5-8E7B-478F-A3F3-1FFB3E4E7981.jpeg3B64AE42-CC62-45D0-B3A0-5F96FE8BC363.jpegFDF58E9A-2FAC-4A02-B037-F01EB7821A2B.jpegE9C7358C-5D43-40C9-B7B0-F05F06876EF0.jpeg40DC1BF2-EBB4-4DE8-9F07-7E091C8ABE33.jpeg

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
Wooo-hooo that is a jump and a half!

It’s the first time he’s ever properly stopped at a jump, came off a drop and although he’s so cocky I think he got a surprise. Was a max height brush from the BE100 course yesterday so fair play I guess. He certainly didn’t brush through it when represented!

ihatework

Visit site
He’s turning into a very smart little horse, you’ve done a great job, as has your farrier with his feet.

Look up inspire dressage on Facebook, lots of funky pole layouts.

If you have anywhere you can set up a line of raised poles (potties are good) then also get in the habit of walking over those every day, to and from the field.

Michen

Visit site
He’s turning into a very smart little horse, you’ve done a great job, as has your farrier with his feet.

Look up inspire dressage on Facebook, lots of funky pole layouts.

If you have anywhere you can set up a line of raised poles (potties are good) then also get in the habit of walking over those every day, to and from the field.

You don’t think he looks a bit weedy and weak for what he’s doing? He’s entered for Munstead BE100 and I was toying with withdrawing him before xc schooling today as he just seems a bit scrawny to be going around what is a big height for a little, still green horse. That makes sense in my head but not when I type it 😝 Still he came out absolutely pinging over everything so he must “feel” strong.

Thanks for the tip, will look them up now. Definitely have some potties as purchased them last year.

ihatework

Visit site
You don’t think he looks a bit weedy and weak for what he’s doing? He’s entered for Munstead BE100 and I was toying with withdrawing him before xc schooling today as he just seems a bit scrawny to be going around what is a big height for a little, still green horse. That makes sense in my head but not when I type it 😝 Still he came out absolutely pinging over everything so he must “feel” strong.

Thanks for the tip, will look them up now. Definitely have some potties as purchased them last year.

He’s weak behind the saddle.
But you have been razzing him round the countryside a lot, you can’t have it all! But nothing about him would say he shouldn’t go out Eventing if he feels confident.

Michen

Visit site
He’s weak behind the saddle.
But you have been razzing him round the countryside a lot, you can’t have it all! But nothing about him would say he shouldn’t go out Eventing if he feels confident.

Ha- true! No more hunting now though I expect our dressage on grass this weekend will be in the 40’s because of it.

paddi22

Visit site
If he's happy with the heights then he should fly it. he does look weak through his back, but a bit more structured dressage training and muscle building would bring that up.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Michen can you get a picture with him stood with his feet in exactly the same places as the six year old photo? I wouldn't concerned with the change in the shape of his back, if that is genuine and not just the way he is standing in the second picture.

I assume the physio said he's fine, I know you have regular routine visits?

Michen

Visit site
Michen can you get a picture with him stood with his feet in exactly the same places as the six year old photo? I wouldn't concerned with the change in the shape of his back, if that is genuine and not just the way he is standing in the second picture.

I assume the physio said he's fine, I know you have regular routine visits?

I can indeed at some point! I think the bum high look is angle, that concrete is weirdly uneven even though it doesn’t look it and the photo was taken slightly side on.

Yes, he’s never concerned the physio other than that he is obviously long in the back and his conformation is a little against him in that respect.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I can indeed at some point! I think the bum high look is angle, that concrete is weirdly uneven even though it doesn’t look it and the photo was taken slightly side on.

Yes, he’s never concerned the physio other than that he is obviously long in the back and his conformation is a little against him in that respect.

I edited to say I would be concerned, not I wouldn't be concerned, but I'm guessing you understood that anyway 😏

Bog is long and it's more obvious because he lacks a bit of depth through the girth, and when he's fit he runs up like a greyhound. He's almost identical in shape to my friend's over height pure bred Connie. At eleven, he has started to have minor hock problems this year. While that doesn't mean Bog will go the same way, it does mean you are wise to have the pros you do check him regularly for you, I think.

I can see why you worry, and it does you credit to be concerned, but at the end of the day we keep them to enjoy and since he's clearly enjoying himself as well, I would keep going if I was you and still your age.

Michen

Visit site
I edited to say I would be concerned, not I wouldn't be concerned, but I'm guessing you understood that anyway 😏

Bog is long and it's more obvious because he lacks a bit of depth through the girth, and when he's fit he runs up like a greyhound. He's almost identical in shape to my friend's over height pure bred Connie. At eleven, he has started to have minor hock problems this year. While that doesn't mean Bog will go the same way, it does mean you are wise to have the pros you do check him regularly for you, I think.

I can see why you worry, and it does you credit to be concerned, but at the end of the day we keep them to enjoy and since he's clearly enjoying himself as well, I would keep going if I was you and still your age.

I’m not sure what I can do to help really other than more schooling. He is what he is conformation wise and he’s looked after in terms of farriers/vets/physio to the absolute max, there is no amount of money shaved on his costs. Obviously the alternative is him sit in a field but frankly I don’t have horses for that and he thrives on work and parties.

Just hope for the best I guess, and he’s lucky he’s wormed his way in so much that he has a home for life regardless.

Mule

Visit site
I think he's in good shape for eventing. The fitter he is, the less likely injuries will be. A bit of flatwork will change his musculature in no time. Better lean and fit than carrying a few extra pounds.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Have you thought about treadmill work? I know they are completely different shapes and do completely different jobs, but 5 months of regular treadmill work has made a massive difference to Cassie - she's now able to sit much more in the canter and when we re did our DTM tempos recently, the canter is more than 10% slower than it was before, mainly due to her back end being so much stronger. Her musculature has really changed as well. Just worth a thought if you are worried. Personally I think he looks great, and probably still has some maturing to do. x

Michen

Visit site
Have you thought about treadmill work? I know they are completely different shapes and do completely different jobs, but 5 months of regular treadmill work has made a massive difference to Cassie - she's now able to sit much more in the canter and when we re did our DTM tempos recently, the canter is more than 10% slower than it was before, mainly due to her back end being so much stronger. Her musculature has really changed as well. Just worth a thought if you are worried. Personally I think he looks great, and probably still has some maturing to do. x

I have actually, but it’s more of a time issue. I am away so much with work or working crazy hours that I barely ride during the week as it is (has a sharer who hacks him) obviously nearest are Wellington and Tweseldown but that’s still a 3 hour all in trip out of my day and I would think it would need to be pretty regular to have much effect.

Otherwise I absolutely would... it would give me a get out of going in the school surely ;)

Thank you, him and Cassie have some similar traits I think!!

Michen

Visit site
Nothing to add rather than naw lovely Bog and so glad he wormed his way in in the end 😍💕 he is awesome 💕😍

I utterly adore him the bones of him, hunting has really cemented our partnership. So many adventures together and he’s been very grown up.

Miss my Basil every day though, it’s a very different “type” of partnership somehow.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I have actually, but it’s more of a time issue. I am away so much with work or working crazy hours that I barely ride during the week as it is (has a sharer who hacks him) obviously nearest are Wellington and Tweseldown but that’s still a 3 hour all in trip out of my day and I would think it would need to be pretty regular to have much effect.

Otherwise I absolutely would... it would give me a get out of going in the school surely ;)

Thank you, him and Cassie have some similar traits I think!!

Yes we go to Wellington - it's around about 2.5 hours round trip for me, but the work out she gets makes it worth it - 25 mins with water just below the knee, plus 2-3 bursts of incline work. For the first few weeks, I went pretty much weekly. Now it's around every 10 days/fortnightly. One thing you could do is leave him there for a week or so while you are away to kick start a programme. I've not left Cassie there, but I have a good friend who has left her tricky mare there for rehab work while she's been away for business. I love it because it takes away my guilt of not being able to hack very much!! :D x

Michen

Visit site
Oh I thought it needed to be twice a week at least to have an effect. I sort of wonder whether mooching through the giant water ponds at greenham common has the same effect though.. ;)
Yes we go to Wellington - it's around about 2.5 hours round trip for me, but the work out she gets makes it worth it - 25 mins with water just below the knee, plus 2-3 bursts of incline work. For the first few weeks, I went pretty much weekly. Now it's around every 10 days/fortnightly. One thing you could do is leave him there for a week or so while you are away to kick start a programme. I've not left Cassie there, but I have a good friend who has left her tricky mare there for rehab work while she's been away for business. I love it because it takes away my guilt of not being able to hack very much!! :D x

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Oh I thought it needed to be twice a week at least to have an effect. I sort of wonder whether mooching through the giant water ponds at greenham common has the same effect though.. ;)

Perhaps if you march through them instead of mooch for a good 10 - 15 minutes that would help! It would probably have an effect if you did it regularly. They walk at a fair lick on the treadmill. They do a trial session for £15 at Welly - so may be worth taking him for that and chatting through the options.

ihatework

Visit site

If you are going to do that be careful on the depth. Mid cannon maximum.
Much deeper and you risk injury

Lammy

Visit site

Totally agree with this! The water treadmill worked wonders for my youngster who tore his hamstring. He did a programme post box rest and it improved the strength in his hind legs by a mile! Could notice the difference not only on his bad leg but on the good one too.

Once he’s in regular work/competing we’ll be going back :) although our nearest is only 5 minutes away...

Michen

Visit site
Mitchen, how is he bred? I think you might see more changes by the time he is 8.

Westside Mirah, a showjumping Connemara stallion.

Boggle is a registered Connie, scraped out of a breeders yard when I bought him though he was sold for them by Performance Connemara Ponies/Nial o Niall

SEL

Visit site
How have you had him that long already?! He is lovely.

One of the pole work exercises I do uses 4 raised poles in 2 lines about 5 steps apart. You can either go over them straight or on the diagonal.

4 poles in a square also a good one.