BOGOF ponies - common?

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
My beloved late girl came to me in foal, but she must have literally become impregnated a week or so before purchase, not sure even the seller knew.
She had the most stunning piebald filly 11months later. For us it was not an issue as we had our own land and a couple of brood mares already, she had another 5 foals with us

Lintel

Visit site
We had a surprise at the previous yard!
Up for the muck out at 8am, the boyfriend of the guy who was running the yard came out to check on the yard assistant's horse (her day off).
He comes running up to me, loan behold the girlie had dropped a foal overnight... having being ridden just 5 weeks before! -Then we did the mad shavings dash! Bigger stable dash too!
She showed no signs either. Complete shock.
:eek:

Her and the little colt she gave birth too! - he wasn't even a day old here!
Baileyandstuff346.jpg

Beatrice5

Visit site
I have a stunning huge 2 yr old coloured filly that was my mares "little suprise" for me.

Again bought privately and asked did they have any entires which I was assured no way and to stop worrying.

Tracked passport back to find mare had 7 different homes in short space of time one of which being a dodgy dealer who let colts run with mares.

Hey presto bought mare in the May filly born 16th March the following yr - didn't know dates if she was ontime or late but all went well and she is lovely.

Agree read all the books and speak to vets - ours did a talk on foaling which was very helpful and went on a foaling day course at the Mendip stud which was really good too.

Enjoy you BOGOF's :D

Skyebald

Visit site
so it seems its quite common then :D:D

Everyone seems to have popped them out quite easily so fingers crossed i won't have too many sleepless nights ;)

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I know one who came off loan and dropped a filly foal months later. She was ridden the day before she foaled and foaled in a 12x12 stable whilst wearing a rug with leg straps!!

003.jpg

EstherYoung

Visit site
Our friend had a BOGOF - she bought a very nice mare from a breeders. Got it vetted, the vet even said to the owners 'There's no chance this mare is pregnant, is there? She's very fat'. Oh no, she's been nowhere near a stallion. Oh nononononoo never. We're always very careful.

Turned out the mare had been near a stallion, their best stallion, and several times in fact, on purpose, but they hadn't thought she had taken so had sold her as barren. She was also very fat - it wasn't just pregnancy.

The mare's surprise son is absolutely stunning, he wormed his way into their hearts and is now being competed by our friend's son. The stud were a bit bitter to say the least.

muffinmunsh

Visit site
Haven't read all posts so please excuse if I am repeating something said already. If you suspect your mare is in foal, please, please check if they have been stitched, especially if they come from the emerald isle! The stitches need removing before she gives birth as can cause injury.

debsg

Visit site
Jasmine, my TB mare, is a BOGOF. Even a 'buy one dirt cheap, get one free' :D
I got her mum from an awful dealer for a couple of hundred quid and Jas was born 5 months later. She is now 5 and a cracking little horse.