Bolshy Yearling advice please??

amage

Visit site
Apologies this may turn out kind of long. I have a cracking yearling colt that I bred myself. At weaning he went to my friends stud for the winter as we had nowhere suited to him as OH's yard is full of racehorses in training. He was bred for me and is hopefully going to be my future competition horse. The mare can be a little sharp at times (good sharp rather than silly sharp) and colt is by a TB stallion called Albano who is by Broken Hearted. He is a super mover and after careful consideration we intend on keeping him entire until at least two year old. His damline is super and quite unusual breeding and sire's youngstock are good to jump, excellent movers and selling well. Stud he was in for winter would be the ones standing him if he does cover in the future and it is after their appraisal we have agreed to keep him whole untill at least two year old and take semen to freeze (for private use). If at that stage we have any doubts about temperament/suitability for life as a stallion etc he will be cut. We are not looking to breed him for the sake of breeding but are equally aware that due to his stallions eldest stock only being 4 and 5 there are no entire sons on the ground. Equally important the mare is her dam's last daughter and end of her line so if there is any chance of carrying it on I would like to. Mare is back in foal as I do not own land etc and would like to wait and see what I have bred as it gets older rather than keep breeding for the sake of it. Mare however is 15 and while in perfect health do have to bare in mind that this could potentially be the only foal i get from her.

Anywho after that rambling intro (i'll offer a glass of wine at this stage!!) I now get to the question....he is now back with me in OH's yard and being a saucy little git. He will be turned out in the next couple of weeks but waiting on his new companion (2 yr old tb gelding) to arrive. He is getting wormed, vaccinated, feet done etc and is stabled with daily turnout in arena. He will be getting into field but as he only arrived back sun we want to take it gently before letting him in large open space. While in stud he was good as gold and very chilled out. Since arriving sun he is being a bit of a sod. Barging around with me and being quite ignorant. He is a dote inside the stable but as soon as he steps outside the door he is a git. He is better with OH than with me but I have been really looking forward to doing this handling work and getting to know him as an individual and also being able to do him myself. I am actually a bit afraid of him and he is not even being that bad. Today has just been a complete crisis of confidence ending in me blubbing to OH how will I ever ride him as a 4 year old if I can't even lead him around the yard as a yearling (yes I am aware of how illogical and ridiculous this statement is lol). I genuinely don't think him being entire is anything to do with the barginess as he is a late foal (june) so not even a full yearling. My sensible side is saying calm down as soon as he hits grass and has oodles more exercise he will settle and I will wonder what i was so worried about. i'm prob making him sound like a dangerous lunatic when he isn't. Anyway can anyone give me any advice? I know I do need to toughen up a bit and i'm prob having one of those days when everything is wrong anyway! Can offer a second glass of wine and some BLTs now!

maggiemoto

Visit site
Welcome to the club! Terrible twos maybe or just being a teenager. It's a stage they go through but, in our experience, they do come through it and become nice again.

Sometimes though, colts can't handle having their bits, we had ours gelded at 9 months because he was becoming impossible - within 24 hours he was back to his old self.

Totally agree with the other post; get him outside in a field to gallop about and get him a friend or an aunty, we found that makes all the difference and don't be scared of him. He has to respect you, try a dually halter on him if you still have problems.

Alexart

Visit site
Ditto the above - turnout and a buddy! Also don't forget he is still very much a baby so has the attention span of a small fish, so don't expect very much at this age!, if you do do any training leading etc - keep it very short and sweet ie only minutes as thier brain wanders and you're into a loosing battle then!!! The sooner you get him a buddy the better so he doesn't get it into his head he is stronger than you or it can be a real pain to fix later on when they are even bigger!
Also as you've only had him back a very short while and stabled him he is full of himself and the whole change of scenery and new horses will just be boiling his tiny mind over. Are there any geldings you can turn him out with in the meantime so he can burn some steam off - doesn't matter how old, will also teach him some manners too which is essential for colts.
I've got my little late June colt in with a really grumpy in foal mare and a 4yr old gelding, I think we'll be leaving this little guy entire for the mo too as he's also last of his line, I'm doing diddly squat with him at the mo and leaving him do his thing - I did a bit of leading at weaning and can do all the usual so no point in pushing any more, he's very chilled out so i'm hoping he stays that way! And as others have said some really can't handle being entire even as a weanling so really need the chop sooner rather than later - I've had a few of those and they are often the most stunning animals but just don't have the full package to cope with it!!:D

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Turn him out with a buddy sooner rather than in a couple of weeks.

No wonder he's being a bit of a sod......