Bolting when trotting in hand

missallym

Visit site
Ive just got a new 7yr old horse who has no manners. hes very green. When I try to trot him in hand, he bolts and takes off down the school bucking. I have so far managed to avoid being face down in the dirt lol. If I do keep hold of him he runs round me in a circle. any tips on stopping him bolting and keeping him straight. Hes a big 16.2 stocky horse and very strong. I try to stay as near to his shoulder as I can. thanks.

hayinamanger

Visit site
Sounds like it's not his fault he's an oaf, but he's way too big for this sort of behaviour.

I recommend the Richard Maxwell halter, make sure you understand how to use it and this horse will be walking and trotting at your shoulder for life.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
He isnt bolting. He is just being rude and taking off.
Why do you need to trot him in hand? I'd say you need tp work on v basic manners first. If he doesnt lead nicely in walk then there is no point in doing trot. Have you tried leading him jn a bridle?

samlg

Visit site
Just use a ciffney/bridle with a lunge line and do walk trot transitions with him like you would if you were riding him until he learns

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Yep, this is very dangerous behaviour, he has learned he is bigger and stronger than you, I would never ever lead him out in less than a bridle, a long line which you can whip round a post to stop him without endangering yourself.
He is seven years old, how green can he be, best to find a good instructor to show you how to proceed.

missallym

Visit site
Thanks everyone.
I do use a bridle and he will walk with me absolutely fine. its just when I ask for trot.
He is very green as his previous owner did no schooling with him and just left him to his own devices and get away with what he wanted.
Ive had him a month, and have only just taught him how to stand still while I get on, as he would take off when doing that too. when I bought him his teeth needed doing desperately, which I got done, and that's made a difference.
he doesn't lunge well either and wont trot, he turns in, or takes off, again, walking is ok. Im trying trot in hand first to get him to learn that he can trot with no rider calmly without thinking its an excuse to take off. Im hoping once hes got the grasp of it, then that will make lunging better too.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Trotting in hand is not helping it is making the matter worse, if he is not lunging well he has to learn this, he is generally taking the p~~~, ask an instructor BHSII to show you how to do it, he will not "learn" over a period of weeks, he has to learn today!

samlg

Visit site
If he is not lunging well start long reining him with 2 lunge lines, in a straight line first and in an enclosed arena for safety. Then when he has got the hang of that just move onto long reining him on a circle like you would normally lunge but with the 2 reins still. That way you will have a rein behind his bum to encourage him to go forward if he is hesitant and you will be able to stop him turning in as you will just use the outside rein to keep him on a circle, you can then use both reins to stop him taking off if he tries that. All of this done with a bridle and not a cavesson and ideally a roller so you can put the 2 lines through metal rings so they don't get tangled up if he tries it on. Start as you mean to go on, if you ask him to do something makes sure he at least tries it.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Yep, this is very dangerous behaviour, he has learned he is bigger and stronger than you, I would never ever lead him out in less than a bridle, a long line which you can whip round a post to stop him without endangering yourself.
He is seven years old, how green can he be, best to find a good instructor to show you how to proceed.

This ^^^^. And very neatly put!

coen

Visit site
I would focus on lunging for the time being, get some help get him used to that then worry about the in hand stuff. At least this way you have less chance of getting hurt doesn't take much for you to get caught by a flailing leg as he takes off bucking. May even try kicking you deliberately if you aren't letting go.

Do you have anywhere to free school him? Might help get him used to your voice commands.

TarrSteps

Visit site

That.
He is only 'green' in terms of not being trained properly, he clearly knows quite a bit about how he can behave if he is anxious/impatient/annoyed/confused - he leaves. You need someone who knows what they are up to and can see the situation to give you advice. With horses like this timing is everything and, I hate to say, every time you get it wrong you are confirming the behaviour in his mind. It's not like a baby horse that just doesn't know and you can get it wrong a bit and still go back and fix it.

Frankly, until you've got a handle on control I'd be pretty leery about the riding. What are you going to do if he decides to bog off with you sitting on him? Pulling up isn't going to magically work from the saddle if it doesn't work from the ground.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but please be careful.

Goldenstar

Visit site
fatty when he arrived could not be led anywhere he decided not to go it is a horrible dangerous habit and needs sorting when a horse has no respect on the ground it's not going to be a huge suprise when it's undisiplined when you ride it ( and Fatty was bucking and generally mucking about when ridden).
I would not trot the horse up until its manners are better .
Lead the horse only in a bridle and lunge line never lead the horse anywhere without gloves and I mean anywhere .
I would not lose school him I fear that would be turned into a running about fest .
Start in the school in the circle and teach the horse to walk when you say walk and stop when you say stop.
You need someone to help you with this on the ground , someone who backs a lot of horses might be just the sort of person as that's the first thing you teach a horse your starting .
I led Fatty in side riens until he came on side and decided to work with us and I have to say I never 100% trust horses who have learnt this behaviour to trot up well .
If Fatty has to trot up for the vet I will always use a bridle .