Bolting

Carlo1979

New User
Visit site
Hi my 4 year old has bolted in the school he spooked at something and bolted.
he is quite nervous.
I had the phsico woman out and she said he had pulled his shoulder and out it right . I have been lungeing him a few days a week but still not got back on him he seem more relaxed now is should you right but I am a bit nervous he will do it again. Has anyone had there hores bolt with pain

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
"Bolting" is a natural reaction to pain and yes it can cause a horse to flee from it.

However there is "bolting" and there is "bolting". Actual "bolting" is where a horse runs blind and will literally just crash through anything in its way because it is running in sheer panic; whereas "fleeing from the effect of pain" is far more common and will occur if the horse has a pain issue anywhere in its body.

If you are concerned, I would ask your vet and physio to give your horse a full check-over before you consider ridden work. May I ask who advised to you to lunge him?? The reason I ask is because if there IS an injury, AND because of his age (only a 4yo) then lunging is physically going to be quite tough on him and he may struggle physically to bend himself around in a small circle which might be causing him further pain right now. Had your physio given you any stretches (like "Carrot Stretches") that you could do with him? This would help his suppleness and aid his re-hab. You may also find that a body-work therapy such as Masterton Method may be of help too.

I would be inclined to either long-rein him or walk in hand as opposed to lunging.

But I do think you need a professional opinion before you sit on him again.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If it were a true bolt, where the horse runs blind and crashes through whatever is before it, I would not plan on riding again.

If it were a run off, where you can't initially pull up but the horse maintains his sense of self preservation, then I would seek help from someone you trust, to help you, as you don't sound confident.

There is an old saying, about one time being a one off, twice can be a coincidence, but if it happens three times you have taught it, or set up a new habit.

I would get expert help now.

ETA- Ooops, cross postedwith MiJodhs!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Yep I agree with you "Red-1" - I was gonna edit my post and suggest the OP get professional help.

With a 4yo you can't afford to get things wrong and having had a just-backed youngster I know the value of professional support at problem-points! I couldn't have got through bringing my girly on without it.

Carlo1979

New User
Visit site
Hi yes my phisio said to lunge him
She thinks he did it playing in the feild or falling when he came over from Ireland.
She pulled his front legs and pulled it back in to place I heard the clonck.
she said he need to strengthen it . He was not lame just very touchy and moody and then he bolted . He is not moody any more .
I will get the vet thank you for your advice