Bone scans Advice please.

pistolpete

Visit site
My horse may have to have one of these next week at Liphook. Could you tell me what experiences you have had, do they have to take shoes off? Just had him shod! Also I know it's two days in afterwards when on second day have you been able to collect your horses? Thanks in advance.

Madam_max

Visit site
Hi. Had both of mine done. They don't need to take shoes off unless they narrow he problem down to a Lameness intact limb that needs further investigation. Why is the horse being scanned?

pistolpete

Visit site
Neurological symptoms, not walking normally. Plaiting action. Also has navicular so in egg bar shoes. Oh and dodgy teeth and copd! It's just the wonky gait I am worried about!

Madam_max

Visit site
What my gelding went for a bone scan for, but it didn't turn out to be neurological. They will only take shoes off for X-rays/MRI if they think it's foot related and investigate further. Good luck. How o you mean 'wonky'?

pistolpete

Visit site
he always used to move very wide behind, now he is so narrow it's almost a plaiting action. The left hind swings out slightly before coming in front of right hind. Very odd. he is quite unsteady on a small circle too. He pivots rather than lifts his foot.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
One of mine had bone scans recently - he went in on the Thursday, scans on the Friday, and home on the Monday once he stopped being radioactive.

His shoes were not taken off.

Hot spots showed up in his back, so he had cortisone injections before he came home - keeping my fingers crossed he will come sound again.

Hope yours gets on ok. :)

YasandCrystal

Visit site
My horse plaited - he has chronic Sacro illiac dysfunction. He was scanned at Newmarket, but no hotspots showed up, because his injury is chronic. Nerve blocking showed his injury.

My horse was in for over a week as he wouldn't show lame to start with. Mine was injected in the SI region, but it was physio that helped and Dr Green for a year. He looks sound now and coming back into work :)

gooster

Visit site
Blue had a bone scan back in May, we dropped him off Monday evening and he had it done on the Tuesda afternoon. They didn't take his shoes off. The bone scan didn't find anything, so he then had to stay a further 10 days until they figured out he was a medical mystery and sent him home on box rest!