Bone Spavin & Navicular

Riverboy

Visit site

Hi - I am looking for advice. In May my 10yr old was diganosed with Bone Spavin in both his hocks - very severe in his left and getting that way in his right. We have tried Steriod injections, anti arthritus treatment and tildren, alongside limitied turn out and glucosomine (sp?) suppliments. 3 months on and he is still very lame on both hind legs.

The vet came to give his last tildren treatment yesterday (my original vet has now moved to America so I saw I new one) and she commented that he is also lame on both his fronts (I said that i had noticed him becoming tetchy about his hooves being picked out etc but thought i was being paranoid). She now thinks that he has navicular in both front feet and that the two are related.

Does anyone have any experience of either of these diseases? Or any advice? He is having real problems moving around these days, is sore and fed up of being limited to a small turn out pen.

Sorry for the rant - thank you for reading.

x

K27

Visit site
One of my horses has spavin however it sounds like your poor boy is a lot worse off than mine!- have you tried letting have a larger paddock or field to roam in so that he can walk any stiffness off? or does he get worse with the more exercise he does? . Also is your Farrier able to help him with the shoeing ie keeping the toes short and shod long and wider at the heels or trying a different type of shoe or pad/lateral extensions?.

It sounds like you have/are doing everything possible to make your horse more comfortable so it must be very upsetting to hear about possible Navicular- if it were one of mine I'd get the front feet xrayed to be sure and get the vet and farrier to work together to help the horse.

I expect you've been using a good joint supplement already if your horse has been receiving treatment from your vet- have you tried Newmarket Joint supp?- my other horse is on that and it works really well- maybe that could be worth a try.

Good luck though and hope he feels a bit better soon!

Riverboy

Visit site
Hi, we tried letting him have more room to move about but he was trying to run around and coming in with hot hocks and very lame, but when we kept him in he'd get stiff so this way he can meander around but can't really run!

He is on Joint Saver Pro from the vets - was recommended to stay on this until the insurance runs out then go for a lower grade suppliment (as its about £90 a month).

Vet is coming next week to x ray and nerve block the front legs and see how his hinds are doing.

Vet had recomended that we take his shoes off for the spavin as he was going to be out of work for at least a year, but has now asked that we put some on for the examination next week and that remedial shoeing may be necessary.

Thank you for your kind words, it really helps to know peoples horses have come out the other side of this.

x

SarahN111

New User
Visit site
My horse was diagnosed with bone spavin in both his hocks in January this year. His off hind was far more advanced than the right. He had a month course of cartraphen injections and is now on Synequin. He has a cartraphen boost every 6 - 8 weeks and is doing so well that I can hardly tell he has them. He is actually going better than he was before as I didn't know then that he had the problem and now it is being treated. That is he was doing really well until - as a result of feeling so well - he reared up in the field playing (something he has never down in the 4 years I've had him), lost his balance and fell. Now he is lame for a different reason....

I hope this helps. It was a very traumatic time as not only did he have the spavins but the knock on effect was his back so we had to get everything right. I contmplted steroid injections but decided to try Cartraphen first and am really pleased with the result. The good thing is that as it is injected into the muscle in the kneck and circulates the body, it also aids all other joints helping any other problems which may be there.
smile.gif

SarahN111

New User
Visit site
My 18 year old gelding was diagnosed with bone spavin in both his hocks in January this year. His off hind was far more advanced than the right. He had a month course of cartraphen injections and is now on Synequin. He has a cartraphen boost every 6 - 8 weeks and is doing so well that I can hardly tell he has them. He is actually going better than he was before as I didn't know then that he had the problem and now it is being treated. That is he was doing really well until - as a result of feeling so well - he reared up in the field playing (something he has never down in the 4 years I've had him), lost his balance and fell. Now he is lame for a different reason....

I hope this helps. It was a very traumatic time as not only did he have the spavins but the knock on effect was his back so we had to get everything right. I contmplted steroid injections but decided to try Cartraphen first and am really pleased with the result. The good thing is that as it is injected into the muscle in the kneck and circulates the body, it also aids all other joints helping any other problems which may be there.
smile.gif

adgetom

Visit site
my gelding has bone spavin in both hocks
he had about 4 months off
he got injections into hocks and my vet wants him out all the time
he is sound now
where are you based
also have another gelding who has just been diagnosed with navicular but he lame at minute so cant help u there

Riverboy

Visit site
based in Surrey - I think if he would behave himself a little more he could be out more, but was causing himself damage as he tends to play with the youngsters.

Sarah111 - I've not heard of cartraphen or Synequin - what are they? why did you decide to not go with the steriod injections? Were you offered an operation - the vet has suggested this may be a way to go but they're not sure with the added front leg problems.

ADGETOM - what has the vet said about your gelding with navicular? I'm concerned that with both of these his chances of making a full recovery are slim as the vet says they are causing each other.

Thanks again - its great to know horses have recovered! Its hard to watch him be so frustrated and not know if I'll ever be able to ride him again.

x