Bone Spavins

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Posting on behalf of a friend who is about to have a lameness workup done on her horse - but thinks the problems exhibited are due to bone spavins.

Can these only be detected through X-Ray's? I've not seen the horse, as it's some distance from me, so don't know if there are any obvious external signs.

Halfstep

Visit site
Positive flexion tests (spavins ALWAYS react to flexion), combined with low grade lameness/stiffness, unwillingness to engage (especially in canter), difficult lateral work, going disunited, bucking, general back pain.

But to be absolutely sure, yes, you need x-rays. It is only when they are extremely advanced and fused that they lay down new bone to form a lump visible on the inside of the leg on the lower hock joints.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
As above. Currently going through insurance claim with mine AM so happy to answer questions via PM but would rather not on here! PM me if you like
smile.gif

indi4

Visit site
Will need x-rays to confirm spavins. The only sign my mare had that pointed to bone spavins was that she really use to ware down the toes on her hind shoes from dragging her hind feet, which my farrier said is usually the first sign of bone spavins, and when x-rayed bone spavins showed up in both hocks, but as we caught them really early we never had lameness with them