Bones - warning

skinnydipper

Visit site
I've just read this on Facebook. Posted by Wendy Appleton on 18.2.21

"So today I had to say goodbye to my best friend Logi the cockerpoo. Taken far too soon at only 5 years old. I can’t believe that yesterday he was bounding around full of life and a ham bone bought from Poundland killed him. The bone shattered and ripped through his intestines when they operated this evening it was too late and he died on the operating table. PLEASE DO NOT BUY THE HAM BONES FROM POUNDLAND THEY ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR ANY DOGS x "

1613847017882.png1613847061920.png

dogatemysalad

Visit site
How sad. Same happened to a dog of mine with a bone from a feed store. Fortunately, the vets were able to remove part of her intestines and she survived. That was nearly 20 years ago and I've never bought a knuckle or roasted bone since.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I was looking after my son’s deerhound/English bull terrier lurcher in my mid-terrace cottage. He had separation anxiety but I had theatre tickets and wanted to keep him busy and quiet so I bought a huge and supposedly indestructible ham bone from a reputable pet store. When I got home there were only a few shards of bone left. The poor dog had bloody, watery stools for four days afterwards but recovered thank God.

jumbyjack

Visit site
My JRT had to have surgery after a roasted bone shattered, his stomach was a mess of bone fragments and grass that he had eaten to try to self help I imagine.

MissTyc

Visit site
So sad :(
I was told that bones should be raw and non weight-bearing .. I think some of the "recreational bones" that you can get are roasted. I used to give them to my big dog, and there was often only shards left. I didn't know any better since they were sold by every pet shop, and she was always fine so I didn't realise the high risk situation I'd put her in! So so sad :(

Odyssey

Visit site
So very sad. ? It's difficult to find safe things to give dogs to chew, it seems that almost everything has potential hazards. I was giving my dog antlers, then read that they can fracture their teeth as they're so hard. I have bought an ostrich bone as they seem to be the safest, with a honeycomb structure rather than solid. My boy loves it, but the downside is that they don't last long. I wouldn't buy anything for a dog to eat from discount shops, after hearing about toxic treats from B&M made in China, which have killed dogs. ?