Bones

Princess16

Visit site
What bones do you give your dog? Does anyone give their dog raw hide bones as I have heard they can be dangerous in that dog can choke on them if bits get stuck in their throat. Mind has a nylabone but wondered what else you can recommend that he can chew on.

{97702}

Visit site
Personally I would never, ever feed any bones other than UNCOOKED meat bones - not the large weight-bearing bones from animals such as cows, these can be too tough and can damage teeth, but any other UNCOOKED bones are beneficial :) I had to take a large leap of faith when I moved to feeding a raw diet as I had always been taught that bones = bad/splintering etc, but this relates to cooked bones which become brittle and can splinter - uncooked bones do not tend to do this and are much safer to feed :)

Karran

Visit site
As above. There was so much terror the first time Mrs Spaniel got a raw bone! I did cling on to one side as she ate incase she gobbled too fast and choked
Now she chomps on various turkey, duck and lamb necks, chicken wings and drummers and enjoyed a whole trotter the other day. She did have some ribs as well but wasnt a fan of those and they remain discarded.
For Christmas she did have a whole raw chicken to herself which she approved of throughly!!

Karran

Visit site
Argh. Phone died. I also dont give her rawhide bones but i do give dried piggy ears and muzzles and things along those lines as well

Leo Walker

Visit site
Lévrier;13356832 said:
Personally I would never, ever feed any bones other than UNCOOKED meat bones - not the large weight-bearing bones from animals such as cows, these can be too tough and can damage teeth, but any other UNCOOKED bones are beneficial :) I had to take a large leap of faith when I moved to feeding a raw diet as I had always been taught that bones = bad/splintering etc, but this relates to cooked bones which become brittle and can splinter - uncooked bones do not tend to do this and are much safer to feed :)

This! Mine are whippet types and get rib bones and chicken wings/thighs/carcasses mostly. There is literally no way in hell I would give them a rawhide bone as its just asking for trouble! I do occasionally give them a weight bearing bone but thats because I have nibblers not chompers! I still dont feel comfortable doing it and they are watched the whole time just in case

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Rawhide-often bleached, produced in China, avoid. Antlers or horns or chew roots might be good, although antlers are very hard and may cause issues.

I give non weight bearing bones, always raw.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
never raw hide. raw bones including lamb bones, pork ribs, lamb ribs, chicken wings, beef ribs, knuckle bones, duck and chicken necks.

Last dog was an extreme chewer and buffalo horns were good for her, she also got oxtail when it was on offer.She made such short work of bones such as wings and pork ribs I stopped giving her the easier ones as there wasn't much chewing going on!

Pup is getting the odd raw bone under supervision (lamb and pork ribs-I am still nervous about chicken wings tbh) and chew roots are brilliant and saving my furniture.

Moobli

Visit site
I never feed rawhide and haven't for many years. Would never recommend.

Raw, uncooked, non weight-bearing bones are ideal. My dogs love them and I give bones 2-3 times a week. They also enjoy chicken and duck wings/necks, beef and lamb scalp, pizzle and all manner of other such "delights" :D

Clodagh

Visit site
I give weight bearing cow legs, raw. I don't like ribs and smaller bones as they eat them in seconds and get gassy and uncomfortable. They get half a marrow bone each (labrador) and have it for maximum two hours at a session. I then put it in a sealed container in the larder until the next day. Pongy but they love it.