Bonkers woman feeding my field horse - FURIOUS!!!!!

Luci07

Visit site
I can really see and understand all your posts - but I am a little wary of jumping in (which would be my natural inclination). Comes back from the time I found a strange teenage girl hugging my OTT TB boy. I was just about to wade in when her mother appeared - and tactfully and without upsetting anyone let me know that her daughter was retarded and loved animals. She also managed to carry on a conversation (I couldn't understand her daughter) as well. OTT horse behaved in an explemary fashion and it made that girls day when she was able to cuddle him.

Loved the idea of the signs though! best one I saw was at Lambourn open day - there was a big sign on one horses stable saying "Watch out, I bite and I really mean it" stable next door just said "and so do I"..... !

Wimbles

Visit site
I used to have this problem with an older lady who not only insisted feeding my horses whatever she could find but would also wade into the field and stand in the middle of them whilst they tried to kill each other to get to her.

I told her time and time again that not only was she risking the safety of my horses but also her own.

It was only when I got Tiger, who can be VERY agressive that it ceased after my OH found her hiding in the hedge!!

Faithkat

Visit site
I'm sure some people think that horses in fields are some sort of petting zoo. I had an instance once when my 10 month old went through a fence. There I am, in the yard with a foal with its front leg shredded from the knee to below the fetlock, bleeding all over the place and me somewhat tense (!) waiting for the vet. Woman with two tiny childen and what looked like her mother appear at the gate and ask if they can "come and stroke your horses". My rather terse repy would be bleeped from this post but you can probably imagine. I suggested that if they wanted a petting zoo they take themselves up the road to the kiddies corner at the local dairy farm . . . . .
I used to find cut up apples pushed through the gate and over the field fence too and neither of the nags like apples. It used to make me so cross. Thankfully they are now in a field that Joe Public can't get near

BFG

Visit site
Difficult post to respond to really. As we don't know what condition your mare is, and the woman's concerns could be genuine......:eek:

I just want to say that even if the mare was in appalling condition it wouldn’t be a good idea for a random person to feed it god knows what. If you start feeding an under nourished horse you could be doing more harm that good.

So, IMO, there is NO justification for feeding a horse that you don’t know or have a history on.

I have to add that i in no way think your horse is anything other that a happy healthy horse.:D

Kat

Visit site
At the riding school where I ride they have a very nice sign for a new pony that suffers from laminitis and needs to loose weight. It rhymes and goes a long the lines of "although I look cute feeding me treats can make me poorly so please don't" a lot of the horses have signs asking people not to feed them and people are very good at respecting them. If they don't have a sign the occasional carrot/polo is allowed, same for the liveries.

Most of the signs just say "please don't feed me" or "no treats please I'm on a diet" but the rhyming one was really good.

You need a sign up that makes it clear that you aren't just being mean but is in terms that people understand. Something like "Please do not feed these ponies, they suffer from a medical condition which requires a special diet, feeding treats could kill them" that should put off the average well intentioned rambler/animal lover.

Horsehead

Visit site
See my point above - as a horse owner it is YOUR responsibility to protect your horse, punching someone is rather a case of shutting the door once the horse has bolted.

It was more said in jest than anything else, I value having no criminal record more than anything else...

Ofcourse it's better to prevent than have to sort it out after, but I'd still be annoyed!

Cavblacks

Visit site
At the riding school where I ride they have a very nice sign for a new pony that suffers from laminitis and needs to loose weight. It rhymes and goes a long the lines of "although I look cute feeding me treats can make me poorly so please don't" a lot of the horses have signs asking people not to feed them and people are very good at respecting them. If they don't have a sign the occasional carrot/polo is allowed, same for the liveries. QUOTE]

This is a good idea! Being older and wiser now I know that feeding someone elses horse is wrong and entering the field could be potentially dangerous.
However, when I was younger before I knew diddly squat about horses, it used to make my day to walk home past a field with a lovely pony in and my Mum (completely un-horsey) would lift me up to pet it/ feed it a handful of grass - thinking about it now at least the grass was taken from within its field by hand under the gate and horses had no eating restrictions ie muzzle so don't think I would have done any harm. But some people really don't know any better and unless they'd been around horses they wouldn't even dream of the harm they could cause. Oh and I never went in the field.
I agree feeding the horse anything alien from its field is aking for trouble but if I wanted to deter this id put signs up as per above etc, electric fencing, so you know you have done everything you can to deter such behaviour before getting angry with the person, who probably only has good wishes at heart, you could take the opportunity to educate them on how their actions could be dangerous - and if they still dont listen . . . well let rip!

Kat

Visit site
Yep I just don't think people appreciate the potential seriousness of what they are doing. It is unfair, and just comes accross as rude and unfriendly to have a go at someone who is basically just appreciating your horse.

Personally I see nothing wrong with fussing a horse over a gate/fence/hedge at your own risk, if the horse is problematic then put up a sign or a secondary fence. If anyone has an issue with someone else stroking their horse then I think they have problems.

I also would think nothing of letting a child (not too little and properly supervised) feed a handful of grass to a horse that is in a field full of grass without a muzzle on. My nephew loves feeding the horses on the yard a handful of hay out of their nets - does no harm, they would have eaten it anyway. We make sure he doesn't feed any that might bite and that he keeps his fingers clear.

Entering a field without permission, or taking off a muzzle, is wrong and any idiot should know that you don't interfere with someone elses property.

I think feeding titbits is a grey area though, most people don't have the knowledge to understand the problem. So if it is a problem for you/your horse then a sign communicating it is sensible. People think they are being kind.

I think as horse owners people should appreciate that many other people love horses even if they know little about them, for a lot of people especially children, seeing a horse makes their day. If you try to stop them fussing it they will be upset, that they want to pat your horse should be seen as a compliment, if it isn't convenient be kind. I used to be that horse mad little girl that loved to just see a horse, and even now as an adult if I walked past a field with a horse by the fence I'd stop to "say hello" even though I see plenty of them down the yard! I just like horses.

Some people like to fuss dogs too, I recall seeing a guide dog that had a sign on its hi-viz jacket that said "I'm working hard now please don't distract me" or something like that. It meant that people didn't try to pet it when it was working.

Pedantic

Visit site
I used to have this problem with an older lady who not only insisted feeding my horses whatever she could find but would also wade into the field and stand in the middle of them whilst they tried to kill each other to get to her.

I told her time and time again that not only was she risking the safety of my horses but also her own.

It was only when I got Tiger, who can be VERY agressive that it ceased after my OH found her hiding in the hedge!!

Bloody brilliant, tiger, hiding in the hedge, love it :D

hesychia

Visit site
I can really see and understand all your posts - but I am a little wary of jumping in (which would be my natural inclination). Comes back from the time I found a strange teenage girl hugging my OTT TB boy. I was just about to wade in when her mother appeared - and tactfully and without upsetting anyone let me know that her daughter was retarded and loved animals. She also managed to carry on a conversation (I couldn't understand her daughter) as well. OTT horse behaved in an explemary fashion and it made that girls day when she was able to cuddle him.

Never, EVER, use the word "Retarded" to describe somebody who probably has learning difficulties/autism/etc!!! They are NOT "Retarded" - they have a disability, and you are discriminating against them by calling them something as rude and uncorrect as that.
It is THE most offensive, discriminatory word ever invented and causes extreme offence and hurt to somebody who has Autism.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Hesychia!! I don't think any offence was meant about the word "retard". And yet again something else has been taken out of contents and not meant as something nasty. She just past on what the mother had said, so how's in the wrong.:confused::confused:

Scheherezade

Visit site
Well, I have been taught on my course by care professionals, psychologists and doctors that "mild" "moderate" and "severe" retardation are in fact the correct terms. Just because it is used as an offensive term in lay slang doesn't mean that it is wrong to use appropriately.

It is fairly archaic, but still stands as a generalised diagnosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_retardation

Fii

Visit site
I also would think nothing of letting a child (not too little and properly supervised) feed a handful of grass to a horse that is in a field full of grass without a muzzle on. My nephew loves feeding the horses on the yard a handful of hay out of their nets - does no harm, they would have eaten it anyway. We make sure he doesn't feed any that might bite and that he keeps his fingers clear.

Well here i strongly disagree with you, it does'nt matter that you are feeding grass, it is the act of hand feeding, this encourages the horses (mine) to hang around the gate, which then encourages people to pet them, and then to feed them, they then asociate people with titbits, and start to frisk everyone, and then on to nibbling and bitting.
So, while this is fine at your yard, it is not fine for the general public to feed my horses anything at all.
As my OH tells people, if it was a rottweiller, you would'nt feed it.

We have a lot of people, feeding our horses over the gate, and it annoys me a lot, we have had signs up, but they dont stay there very long.
We also graze some ponies on rough common land, and a chap who's house backs onto the land had been feeding them, i spoke to him a couple of times about it, and thought that was the end of it, only to find that he had gone out and bought a bag of horse food, and was feeding them again!!!
I had a rightgo at him, and told him about laminitus, and that if they were ill because of his feeding them , then he would be getting the vets bill.

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
Never, EVER, use the word "Retarded" to describe somebody who probably has learning difficulties/autism/etc!!! They are NOT "Retarded" - they have a disability, and you are discriminating against them by calling them something as rude and uncorrect as that.
It is THE most offensive, discriminatory word ever invented and causes extreme offence and hurt to somebody who has Autism.

She also never said it was someone autistic. As others have said its the medical term. Had she said Spaz or Mongol then yeah, that would be offensive.

Thankfully my boy gets pushy if he is fed tit bits and he WILL nip, so folk generally dont. Even I dont - other than a handful of Cola for a slurp after a lesson.

Tinypony

Visit site
I did eventually manage to stop people feeding mine, when we were near a small caravan club field. The notice said "I know that you like to say hello to the horses, but it is not safe to go in the field, which is why the gate is padlocked. Please do not feed them anything, not even grass, because it makes them fight and they might get hurt. It also encourages them to bite hands, and I want them to be kind to the little people who love them". Daft innit?
There's always one idiot though. Part of the field was electric fenced inside, to keep the horses off some sheep wire. It was properly signed up. Some kids were staying for the week and were regular visitors. They told their dad not to touch the fence because it was electrified. He told them it wasn't, and to prove it, grabbed hold of it...

willhegofirst

Visit site
On a similar note we have a field in our village between two main roads used in the main by dog walkers and kids playing, resently it has been roughly fenced and about 15 young cobs all under two, owned by travelers have been put out there, to see young kids feeding and fussing these youngsters is very scary. I'm sure sooner or later someone will get hurt, or the ponies will end up out on the road.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Retardation is only used in connection with depression, as in responses, appetite etc are retarded, IT IS NOT correct to use this term with regard to people with learning difficulties, and if someone is really being taught that on a social care course then I doubt if the course will be approved by the GSCC and if I were them I would make a complaint about very poor teaching.

AMW

Visit site
my ponies are in a paddock beside a path and houses. I know the people in the houses feed them carrots and people speak to them. But I dont mind as the same people keep an eye on them when they are out during the day and do care about them.

Kat

Visit site
my ponies are in a paddock beside a path and houses. I know the people in the houses feed them carrots and people speak to them. But I dont mind as the same people keep an eye on them when they are out during the day and do care about them.

Yep horse owners may be very glad of their "interfering neighbours" when they raise the alarm or call the emergency services in the event of an accident.

I think it really pays to be polite and civil to people you come into contact with in connection with your horses as you never know when you might be very glad of them. Shouting and being aggressive isn't going to get you anywhere, and from the posts on here the good natured signs seem more effective than "having a go".

perfect11s

Visit site
Its deeds not words that matter and how you react to and respect others who have a disabilty if there was less PC cr&p and more genuine care and help for the less fortunate everybody could enjoy better lives...

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yep horse owners may be very glad of their "interfering neighbours" when they raise the alarm or call the emergency services in the event of an accident.

I think it really pays to be polite and civil to people you come into contact with in connection with your horses as you never know when you might be very glad of them. Shouting and being aggressive isn't going to get you anywhere, and from the posts on here the good natured signs seem more effective than "having a go".

Exactly Katt!

ecrozier

Visit site
My parents land has a foot path through between two fields, and when my lot are there they love to 'mug' walkers :) :) as they go past! TBH as long as its just grass or the odd carrot I'm not overly bothered as I rarely give mine titbits anyway and even when I do they are disciplined enough the rest of the time (even the 4 year old) to respect that as a treat and not get nippy/pushy. In fact his previous owner who had him til he was rising 3 never gave him treats, and he was nippier when we first had him than he is now!
If someone was actually going into the field and feeding them I would be more annoyed but would electrify the top of the fence and the gate to keep them out and put up signs? Think that woudl work in most cases if they actually can't get into the field without getting a shock?

V10ven

Visit site
Hi
At a yard I was at the kids used to come round with Jam donuts! Like you I asked them to stop and got the same 'its only one' reaction, people are so daft - some horses only need one bloomin apple to colic - if its my horse and I say dont feed then I mean dont feed!!!