bony growth

parsley

Visit site
My boy has had a bony lump on the side of his front leg just about at the coronet band for a while now. I have been keeping an eye on it and it has enlarged a very little bit but is cold and he has been sound. I noticed tonight and last night that for the first 5 mins of schooling he was nodding slightly but seemed to be better after that.

If it is ringbone what is the prognosis? and what if it is sidebones? Poor chap is only 9
frown.gif

Louby

Visit site
Agree with the others but its hard not to worry. My last mare had sidebone and ringbone, vet said not to worry about the sidebone as it rarely causes problems and can only be seen on xray although a farrier once said he could feel it??
Ringbone is different, it can be high, low, non articular and articular which I think means involves a joint. My horse had high articular ringbone so it was bad and I could see the lump getting bigger although it was on the side of her pastern.
I think the low non articular which is near the coronary band (dont quote me) is much better. Im sure non articular ringbone can settle and cause no problems.
Good luck, I hope hes ok

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
what Louby described sounds very similar to what i have found on my horse, was bout to start a post but might as well put it in here as sounds almost the same, i have noticed a bump on the side of her pastern it had got bigger after work and is hard, feels like a splint would, does this sound like ringbone?

Louby

Visit site
Please dont worry, my new horse has these lumps as well, I was paranoid when I was looking for a new horse but lots I viewed had lumps you could feel. My vet has never said anything about them. My old mare had these lumps too but they got bigger and bigger, slowly at first but then seemed to grow quickly. Some were like golf balls and they never went down or up with exercise. She was diagnosed with Ringbone and hacked happily for another year before going slightly lame when we retired her, she was only 8 yrs old and I think I bought her with the condition, she'd had a hard life and I reckon she'd had it years.