Book recomendations for long dark winter nights

gingerarab

Visit site
ok guys, please send me your book recomendations, horsey, non fiction and autobiographies. I need to stock up the book cupboard for these long nights and would love to know what you have read and really enjoyed :)

LeneHorse

Visit site
Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie series, found them quite addictive, particularly the first two, Case Histories and One Good Turn.

I've also read these, they were really good. If you like serious gore Stuart McBride's police procedural series set in Aberdeen is excellent.
On a more trivial note I have bought my pal the new Jilly Cooper 'Jump' for xmas- hope it is as amusing as Riders and Polo.

Visit site
Non-horsey: Have you read the Philip Pullman 'His Dark Materials' Trilogy? The first one was made into a film called 'Northern Lights'. If not, then I would definitely recommend them! I have just read the first one and it was fantastic! Have just started the second one and so far it is really good. Here is a link to his website:
http://www.philip-pullman.com/

Horsey: William Fox-Pitt's Autobiography is fab! I have also got Mary King's but haven't got round to reading it yet but it looks good. 'Chosen by a Horse' by Susan McBane is a really lovely book but it is very sad so make sure you have a box of tissues handy! 'Riders' by Jilly Cooper is another one of my favourites and I also recently read a horsey murder mystery book which was really good - 'Stabbing at the stables' by Simon Brett.

:)

Supertrooper

Visit site
Ones I love - horsey and none (sorry I can't always remember the authors)

The horsey life by Simon Barnes

Horses of proud spirit - about a horse rescue in america

Hoofprints (follow up to above book)

The boy in the striped pyjamas (one of the most shocking books I've ever read even though you know the story)

Running wild by Michael Morpego (also wrote Warhorse) - a childrens book but loved it

Noughts and crosses - a book for teenagers but another I really enjoyed and now reading the second in the trilogy.

Memoirs of a geisha

The other Boleyn girl by phillipa gregory - a novel about ann boleyns sister

and so many more!!!! I love reading xxx

JenJ

Visit site
Some good recommendations on/via here

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=422294

Some of my recent good reads:

Cecelia Ahern - The Book of Tomorrow
Kate Atkinson - Case Histories (first of four books)
Sebastian Faulks - A Week in December (loved it)
Audrey Niffenegger - Her Fearful Symmetry
Rosamund Lupton - Sister
Kate Mosse - The Winter Ghosts
Kate Morton - The House at Riverton

Am currently reading the CJ Samson Matthew Shardlake series, and really enjoying it.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
I like Willy Poole's books (look under R W F Poole) although I haven't read his fiction book - Hounds of Love or similar. Caroline Akrills Not quite a horsewoman is amusing, I'm re-reading Johnathan Guiness The House of Mitford, a biography of an influential and diverse family, a bit too deep for me to concentrate on though when the OH has the telly on. I've just read Sniper One by Dan Mills, lent to me by a customer, didn't think it would be interesting but I was hooked straight into it. I've also really enjoyed Shackleton, I think it was the book by Huntford. Oh, and I'm reading The King's General by Daphne du Maurier, which is written as fiction but is based on fact of the civil war in the 1600's - I'm enjoying it was it's based in Cornwall and Devon, and I know of many of the places mentioned - my mum used to play in the overgrown gardens of Radford when she was a child.

0ldmare

Visit site
Not strictly horsey, but Jilly Coopers new Jump is a cracking read, I'm about 1/4 way through and its great escsapism