Book recommendation - young horse

Marnie

Visit site
Hi all,

I used to have a book called something like 'Foal to Full-grown' that I bought when I acquired a 'BOGOF' about 20 years ago. I think the book has got lost in a move at some point.

I have now acquired a relatively unhandled yearling to keep my pony company following the loss of my horse. I am reasonably confident in what I am doing but just fancied doing some reading.

Has anyone got any recommendations for books or other resources?

Thanks in advance!

20210621_175009_resized.jpg

TPO

Visit site
I think Richard Maxwell co authored Foal to Full grown and it's still available on Amazon and ebay.

His newer young horse book is what @Ownedby4horses has said. Its shot up in price to just under £30 second hand. Works out cheaper to buy it from america on ebay.

Richard Maxwell also has 2 other books and while not young horse specific still very helpful and educational for horse handling.

daydreamer

Visit site
If you are looking for advice on handling/groundwork I would really recommend a subscription to YourHorsemanship. Lots of videos and advice, very logical and easy to follow. I have been using it with my youngster who I have had from 6 months old (now 3!!) and have found it invaluable.