Books by Jaime Jackson - re natural hoof care

titchy

Visit site
Hello,

Interested in purchasing the two books below. Has anyone read them. Trying to find out what his main principles are regarding horse's diet and hoof care.

Founder: Prevention and Cure - The Natural Way (Paperback)
by Jaime Jackson

Horse Owner's Guide to Natural Hoof Care (Paperback)
by Jaime Jackson

Thanks for any comments.

cptrayes

Visit site
Horse Owner's Guide to Natural Hoof Care is Ramey's I think??

Be sure to read his website too. In particular, he changes his advice to the following from what is written in the book:

- never trim the sole
- never trim the frog
- bevel the two from ten to two to ten past two.

There is nothing in it about diet to speak of, it's a trimming book.

Founder etc is great about laminitis, I got my horse through it using his advice.

Have you also got Feet First by Nic Barker and Sarah Braithwaite ? Chock full of stuff on management and diet. Not a trimming book.

amandap

Visit site
Well HOG is not easy reading so may not be the best place to start.
F.P and cure is way out there even today but is imo great for a fresh look at treating founder!
I'd buy Jaime's The Natural Horse as well as Pete Ramey's book. Tbh even Pete's book is not 'easy' unless you have already done some reading and grasped the concepts.
My strongest recommendation is very expensive... Pete Ramey's DVD Under the Horse. 20 hours of teaching, trimming and specific rehab cases. This is fantastic imo and worth every penny! Here's a you tube trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VcMU6vx_z4
Pete's website is a great place to start as well as Cindy Sullivans and Margorie Smith's. http://www.barefoothorse.com/

Look up Nic Barker and Sarah Braithewaite UK trimmers too. Both Founder members of UKNHCP and authors of Feet First.