Boot problems - what would you do?

Jayde87

Visit site
Have had my long boots for 6 or so months now and recently the zip bust. They were expensive boots - English Gaitor Company so was a bit narked, but am planning on getting the zip repaired rather than splurging out on £200 for a new pair.

Does anyone have any experience with places repairing boot zips - ie price estimations etc?

Thanks in advance

Peanot

Visit site
I have just taken my trainers boots for new zips yesterday and ..... are you sitting down? They are £30 each zip so £60 in total! Its because it takes time to get old zips out and not everyone can do them apparently cos the leather is quite thick. Obviously it varies from place to place.

Jayde87

Visit site
Was sort of expecting that figure, better than £200 I suppose. Hope it doesn't take too long to sort, can't bear riding in my old chaps for much longer. Will take them in tomorrow.

walker1234

Visit site
Was sort of expecting that figure, better than £200 I suppose. Hope it doesn't take too long to sort, can't bear riding in my old chaps for much longer. Will take them in tomorrow.

If you are handy and own a needle and thread you can actually do a repair yourself. If you want me to tell you the process let me know, can't be arsed to write it all out if you're not a handy type!

walker1234

Visit site
OK, it wont last forever but you can do it yourself (or your mum can!) anytime and it only takes a few minutes to maintain the repair.

Generally speaking the zip has come off because the teeth along the zip somewhere has become splayed. It happens alot because if you look closely at the zip there is a fine line of stitching which runs between the teeth. If this stitching wears (which it always does as it can come into contact with saddle) the teeth will no longer be secure and will splay. So first thing first, find the bit where the teeth have come apart and armed with needle and thread sew them back in place. So thats needle on inside of boot coming up over one 'tooth' and back in again. You could use extra strong thread if you have it, if not repeat a couple of times so it's secure and in teeth are back in place.

Second. First you need to get the zip to come apart so that you can rethread the zip pull. You need to undo the stitching at the ankle to free bottom of the zip. Once done put the zip pull back onto both sides (like you would if it were a coat, not sure if my explanation is great here!). This is the only tricky part as it can be hard to get it to 'take' and can bit fiddly but I found cutting a little bit off one of the sides of the zip made it easier to thread. Once its on tuck zip back into inside of boot and important bit, put a dab of superglue on the teeth at the bottom of the zip to stop the zip pull coming off again.

Finally, check zip all over for any stitching which looks like it might be about to go and stitch it back up again.

Like I said you will need to maintain it as the stitching will go elsewhere but if you keep an eye on it and do quick repairs as and when necessary the zip shouldn't ever actually go again.

Good luck and tell me how she gets on!

Last edited: