Booting horses - dumb question

hairycob

Visit site
We have always had hairy cobs with legs like tree trunks before & haven't used boots. Now son is buying a dainty legged sport horse for show jumping & we are delving into the confusing world of booting up. I remember now why I was so keen on a cob for my first horse! There are so many types - how on earth do you know what to use when & which makes are good buys?

Templebar

Visit site
My first question is do you need them?

What are you trying to achieve?

Just because its legs are narrower doesn't mean theres anymore reason to boot up. It depends on what your doing and why you think you need them. I have cobs to irish sports horse and i dont boot at all but im not jumping round badminton.

MissTyc

Visit site
I don't boot my young horses at all. Once they have learnt what a pole feels like and have passed basic training then I use boots for a while as the jumping gets more technical (tighter corner, bigger strides, etc) and also for lateral work to give them the confidence to try. Then when they can do it the boots come off again. At shows I normally boot the fronts only, but my horses are all quite savvy, cobs and TB alike!

hairycob

Visit site
That's good to hear, hopefully more funds for other stuff then. I had the impression that everybody other than us booted up for jumping. What about for XC - would you boot for that?

MissTyc

Visit site
Personally, not until the fences are over 2ft6-ish, but if I had a clutzy horse I would certainly consider it!
I don't boot for hunting, either, though you see more and more hunters all booted up now.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine is a fine horse and does not wear boots in the field as he takes them off (!), does not wear boots for hacking as the grass seeds or mud get under and cause a skin reaction.

I do use them for schooling, as my horse can be extravagant in his action, and is hopping mad if he knocks himself. He also tripped once lungeing when he did not have boots on (was being lunged for a physio who wanted to see his actual legs) and he scraped right down his tendon with the back foot.

I do boot for jumping as I am not consistent with strides, and if he makes the effort to pull me out the do do I want him protected ;-)

delaneys

Visit site
I boot or bandage for schooling
Boot for hacking
Boot for turnout if likely to be fresh or silly
Boot for lunging
Tendon and fetlock for sj
And def boot for xc
Also one of my horses wears x 4 over reach boots when doing anything other than slow hacking!

Nightmare! My boot and bandage collection is awful!

I would just get some brushing boots and over reach boots until you know more about what the horse Is like and weather they need them or not,
I recommend trizone or premier equine for a good all rounder boot!