Boots and bandages (Including sports medicine/support boots)

Jinx94

Visit site
One of my modules this year is regarding contemporary issues, and our subject for the next discussion is the use and/or abuse of boots and bandages. I'll be putting up a couple of posts both in TR and C&T to try to get an idea of public opinion as we're struggling to find relelvant and up to date research.

Disclaimer: By posting a response you are consenting to the use of your responses in a lecture.

Boots or bandages? Which do you use and why? Are there any that you refuse to use?

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I use both boots and bandages, to protect from knocks and scraps.

Bandages I use are the fleece polo ones, like them because they are soft whilst still giving protection(and love matchy matchy sorry!). Use them exclusively for flatwork.

Boots, I use brushing boot type ones for the same reasons but generally use boots for hacking as they are a little more robust about getting dirty. I also have some silver and gold ones which double as being reflective for hacking on the roads.

For show jumping I use open fronted tendon boots, to protect the tendons at the back but keeping the legs at the front bare so she doesn't become complacent about hitting the poles.

For fast rides/ xc I use a more solid xc boot ( I have the PE ones) for more protection as the fences aren't as forgiving.

For ones I wouldn't use, it would have to be elasticated banadages as I couldn't be faffed putting the padding on under them and think it could cause over-heating. Same with fleecy/ fluffy boots, too much heat being held on the legs. This also goes for all boots/bandages, if the weather is very hot I would leave the boots off (doesn't happen a lot in this country granted :D).

A lot of the time for slow hacks (just walking), or if their legs are damp from the field I wouldn't use anything.

Hope this helps :).

x x

Luci07

Visit site
I always boot having seen a stunning 5 year end it's competive career when slicing through a tendon.

Bandages. ..no as too much of a faff! However, I have had friends whose horses were rubbed by boots so they had to bandage. I have airflow boots which means the legs don't overheat. I do use different boots for SJ and XC and will use fluff inserts on a really cold day.

dibbin

Visit site
I use both.

Normally for schooling I put Equilibrium Stretch & Flex flatwork boots on the front and Norton fetlock boots on the back. Support and protection for the front legs, and he sometimes brushes low down behind, hence the fetlock boots.

For hacking, I put Roma neoprene sport boots on the front as more robust foreleg support/protection. Woof Wear club brushing boots behind, or sometimes his fetlock boots.

If I'm using bandages it's fleece polo bandages. I put those on if (a) his legs are damp so I don't want to put boots on, (b) there's a cut somewhere on his leg that a boot edge/strap will rub, or (c) I feel like looking a bit fancy and/or matching my saddlecloth :p

If legs are very muddy and I'm not doing much I don't bother as I don't like hosing legs in the winter for fear of mud rash. I won't use elastic bandages for riding as I can't be bothered faffing about with padding; I do use them for travelling (Jazz hates travel boots) and as stable bandages when on box rest though.

dressage_diva

Visit site
I always boot up even when hacking. Usually I just stick tendon boots and overreach on the front legs, and either brushing boots or fetlock boots on behind, but if I have the time or am trying to look smart (e.g. a lesson) then I will use fleece bandages with overreach boots. I also use bandages sometimes on one of my horses when we clip his legs out fully as I find that some boots tend to slip when he's freshly clipped. I am paranoid about removing the boots as soon as possible once we have ridden (they come off before the saddle usually) as I do have concerns about heating up tendons with prolonged use of boots and if their legs are very hot (especially in the summer) I will cold hose their legs. That is also why I don't use any padding under exercise bandages and just stick with fleece polo bandages (or half-and-half style bandages). I am paranoid about ensuring I bandage correctly too - I can't stand people that bandage the wrong way or don't get the pressure even.

For turnout, my young dressage horse wears tendon boots in front, but my 20yr old cob who is quiet in the field goes out without any boots on.

I always travel in full travel boots too.

Puddleduck

Visit site
I use both.
Fleece bandages for schooling and hacking. If I'm short of time a swap the hind bandages for fetlock boots.
If the school is really soggy i use tendon boots in front and fetlock boots behind.
Always use over reach boots.
Horse also gets turned out with over reach boots on.

Won't use elasticated Bandages either

AngelitoCaz

Visit site
I used boots when backing and riding on as my mare doesn't always know where all 4 legs are, I now use them if doing lateral work or hacking, I sometimes use fleece bandages if I want to match and if it is dry. Mostly now I don't use them, if XC I will use over reach boots as well as brushing boots she's not shod so these are just where she may stand on herself where unsure with steps, ditches etc.

LeannePip

Visit site
I use both boots and bandages, to protect from knocks and scraps.

Bandages I use are the fleece polo ones, like them because they are soft whilst still giving protection(and love matchy matchy sorry!). Use them exclusively for flatwork.

Boots, I use brushing boot type ones for the same reasons but generally use boots for hacking as they are a little more robust about getting dirty. I also have some silver and gold ones which double as being reflective for hacking on the roads.

For show jumping I use open fronted tendon boots, to protect the tendons at the back but keeping the legs at the front bare so she doesn't become complacent about hitting the poles.

For fast rides/ xc I use a more solid xc boot ( I have the PE ones) for more protection as the fences aren't as forgiving.

For ones I wouldn't use, it would have to be elasticated banadages as I couldn't be faffed putting the padding on under them and think it could cause over-heating. Same with fleecy/ fluffy boots, too much heat being held on the legs. This also goes for all boots/bandages, if the weather is very hot I would leave the boots off (doesn't happen a lot in this country granted :D).

A lot of the time for slow hacks (just walking), or if their legs are damp from the field I wouldn't use anything.

Hope this helps :).

x x

Mine is almost exactly this although i don't often bandage on the flat because i'm lazy! so i either use nothing or brushing boots.

if I'm doing a slow roadwork hack i don't use any boots as i aim to strengthen then legs up as well as protect them

SuperH

Visit site
I currently use polo bandages when we play polo. Other than that with my current two ponies I use nothing (we use hi viz wraps for hacking but assuming you aren't counting those as they are neither boot nor bandage?). We do hacking, gymkhana, sj, fun rides, polo, local shows and low level xc. One is shod, one isn't.

On a previous pony I used elasticated bandages with underlay as it seemed to suit her.

I don't know much about the more modern boots, some of them look pretty swish. I would probably opt for a set of the air cooled ones if we were going to push harder xc and be more likely to encounter a knock.

alainax

Visit site
Both :) Pretty similar to those above. We only do dressage and hacking, so just depends on what we are up to. I use bandages, sports boots and stretch and flex flat work boots - and sometimes over reach boots.

Kati*89

Visit site
I use brushing boots all round for lunging, same for hacking, and now he has front shoes on will put overreach boots on too - he doesn't really brush but just protects in case he is being a bit of an idiot or doing faster work!
I like the fleecy bandages for schooling as less chances of rubbing (he is wimpy ginger) unless it is really wet (our arena most the time then :-/) when I just use boots.
If I wasn't doing much, just walking i wouldn't bother with anything, but now he has shoes(only front) I would always use front boots at least.
Both ways are to protect from himself rather than support.

Cragrat

Visit site
Most of the time nothing.
A)My horses are barefoot, so risk of injury from their own hoof is reduced
B) I am paranoid about their legs overheating
C) I worry about rubs/blood flow restriction /extra weight( significant at the end of a long moving leg, especially when the boot is holding water

D) I read that there is no way a bandage can ever be strong enough to actually support a tendon or ligament
E) I'm lazy and my horses legs are often muddy. I don't believe in washing legs in winter as it increases mud fever likelihood.
Having said all that, I do use the equilibrium Tri Zone boots( chosen because they were the coolest, lightest boots I could find) when doing the xc phase of BE, to reduce damage from knocks.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I rarely use anything, although I often bandage the hinds at night as they started filling recently, although they're better now I'm still using preventative measures.

I boot all round for xc, and if we're sj out somewhere, but not at home as we're only jumping tiny fences at the moment. I don't boot for travelling either, although if we're jumping, I'll put these boots on.

I don't want his tendons overheating, and we are not either schooling or jumping at the level where the extra support is more important than the potential damage you can do.

vallin

Visit site
Generally nothing for flatwork, lunging or hacking (occasionally tendon boots/XC boots and OR boots if we're doing fast work on a hack) and then tendon boots for jumping (nothing behind) and woof wear smart event boots all round with OR boots for XC. For traveling she wear brushing boots and OR boots all round.

I generally go with less is more for her because she's experienced enough to know where her legs are and I'd rather keep legs as cool as possible.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Generally don't use anything on what I have in now, but have used brushing boots (behind, mostly) for lunging and schooling on young horses that are prone to knock into themselves. When they strengthen up I take the boots off, if they don't strengthen up or continue brushing I sell them :). Use polo wraps for some support on fronts for one horse who has had a suspensory injury.

Auslander

Visit site
Very good article here by Dr David Marlin, who is a well respected equine scientist. http://davidmarlin.co.uk/portfolio/protective-boots-for-horses-the-pros-and-cons/. Might be worth you contacting him if you haven't already - pm me if you want an introduction.

I boot for protection out hacking - very cheap Horze brushing boots, as they are very lightweight, but sufficiently protective for the amount of bashing that my horse does.

I don't usually use anything for schooling, as he's an educated horse who knows where his legs are, and he doesn't misbehave in the school (he saves it for hacking, hence the boots!)

It makes no sense to me that people think boots and bandages can support soft tissue. All the moving parts move up and down, not in and out, so there is no way that a boot or bandage can support.

NZJenny

Visit site
Pretty much nothing, as am too lazy and horses are barefoot.

However I had another go at jumping about three years ago, and out of consideration of my horses age and the number of endurance miles he had done I bought him a flash set of medicine boots for protection.

They claimed to reduce the effect of concussion - which I scoffed at, but when he started to feel the hard ground one summer I gave them a go. Much to my surprise he was a lot happier - just as well as the jumping didn't last long, so it was nice to find a use for them.

That horse is now retired from riding and the boots sit in the cupboard. I have used them a couple of times on my youngster, but she is also barefoot and shows no sign of any issues. But I'll probably hang onto the boots in the meantime.

Jinx94

Visit site
Thank you everyone! Contemporary (within the last three years) research seems to be limited, though I may not be putting in the phrases needed, so your responses should give us some interesting points to raise.

Thank you Auslander! I definitely will contact him.

kc100

Visit site
Hacking - brushing boots, mainly because I ride idiot horses who spook at thin air with legs going in all sorts of directions. When my youngster is ready to be backed, he'll also be wearing brushing boots the first few times until I feel comfortable that he isnt an idiot and wont do anything too stupid. He is proving to be fairly sensible in most ways so fingers crossed he will continue to be sane when I back him!

I must admit I do love matchy, and the baby already has a few sets - but I am very concerned about legs overheating and the damage that can do, bandages dont offer any support so when you use them they are mainly for aesthetics only; so on warm days there's no way I'd use them, again I need to see how he goes when he's backed but if he turns out to be sensible and a straight mover I'm unlikely to use his matchy - they'll just get saved for lessons/clinics when I want him to look smart!

I understand people using boots/bandages for jumping/XC, and the air cooled ventilated ones seem to make the most sense - but for flatwork providing you have a straight mover (which if you are doing dressage they should move straight!) then there isnt much need for anything boot or bandage wise. They are all very fashionable and I think its more of a trend thing than actually providing any benefits for the horse.

Most owners like to wrap their horses up in cotton wool - my yard are terrible for it, many of the horses havent been out in the fields for weeks because they are muddy - despite the yard owner being happy for people to turn out all year round, most of the liveries have wimped out and their poor horses are stuck indoors! I'd hazard a guess that the people that think their precious ponies will dissolve in the mud are the ones that have to constantly have boots, bandages and every piece of so called protective equipment on their horse.....

Each to their own though, we all have our preferences and only the owner knows their horse best - so what is right for one horse wont be right for another.

Shoei

Visit site
I use polo bandages and sports boots for flatwork and lunging. I use the PE sports boots if he is doing lateral work or anytime he may be silly as they offer more protection and polo bandages for general support and lighter protection from scuffs.