Boots for barefoot horse

Suelin

Visit site
We have an elderly pony, he's 21. He is just about retired but is in really good nick and we only ride him occasionally these days. However he does "feel" his feet if he steps on a pebble or similar and I was wondering about getting him some kind of boots for the odd occasion that he will be ridden.
Two questions really. Do you put the boots on all 4 feet? I ask because if I was shoeing him then he would have a full set on regardless. Also what are the best sort of boots for the purpose? He is ridden only about 6 times per year.

Sorry for numpty questions but this is a new thing for me. I always have my horses shod if they are in work, but it seems a bit overmuch for the very occasional half hour hack out. Many thanks for all advice.

micki

Visit site
The make of boot will depend on the shape of his hoof. You need to measure his feet just after he has had a trim and then have a look and see which boot will suit his hoof shape best. You can use them on just the fronts or on all 4 hooves if you prefer or if you think he will struggle with out them on his back feet.

Abacus

Visit site
I'm no expert on this but bought a pair of Old Macs for my horse who loses shoes easily and then gets sore. They are fine for gentle hacks and for turnout, and they seem very secure (with a vast array of different straps to secure them in place!). Once you are used to them, they are very easy. I haven't tried others so can't offer any comparisons but they work for us.

Ali2

Visit site
Like Micki said, which boots suit him will depend on his foot shape and size. I use Old Macs - they are more forgiving, size wise than some of the rest of the Easyboot range. However, as its only for a few rides a year, and I'm assuming pretty gentle riding, I'd look at Cavallos - they're much more reasonably priced than the Easyboot range and come in two width fittings.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Well I guess I can only suggest cavallos as that is all I have used. They are leather uppers and fasten with velcro which is really easy.

You need to measure from heel buttress (the back part of the hoof wall as you look at it from the sole, not the frog or you will get wrong size) to toe but best done just after a trim.

These tend to fit oval shaped hooves better.

From hearsay, and on here, people have said the Old Macs are good for round shaped hooves.

There is soooooo much choice!!! All I can say is, enjoy shopping :)

For info: (best shop around though...)

http://www.cavallo-inc.com/

http://www.easycareinc.com/

http://www.renegadehoofboots.com/home.html

http://www.all-natural-horse-care.com/hoof-boots.html

http://www.trelawneequine.co.uk/

http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/D/Hoof_Boots-(Hoof_Boots).aspx

oh, and if you want some second hand ones... look on ebay or www.phoenixhorse.myfastforum.org and check the for sale adverts.

Last edited:

Zerotolerance

Visit site
I've had a set of Cavallos for one of my old boys for about 18 months and they're still going strong. He has the normal ones in front and Sport boots behind as they're narrower and a better fit on his hinds. I actually got this first set from my farrier - although a litle more expensive that way, I thought it was worth it to get the right fit. Then if/when he needs new ones, I know exactly what size to get. He does still wear glue on shoes in front, but has the Cavallos on top for hacking. Because he's had grotty frogs for the last 22 years, pads were not an option. (Yes, before anyone starts, he's had every treatment known to man for the thrush, none of which have made one iota of difference!) He loves his boots, quite happy in walk, trot, canter and gallop out hacking, and seems to appreciate the extra grip they give him. He's been a right nancy walking downhill his whole life - but now really strides out in his boots.
A friend has the same for her old retired horse, for turning out in and she is equally as pleased with them.

BlackRider

Visit site
I like the cavallo simple's too, although the velcro seems to have stopped working (I use them for turnout and its very muddy at the moment), but I'm sure they'd be perfect for what you would use them for.

Goldenstar

Visit site
As everyone has said its about the shape of the foot and you need to measure him and get advice and I have three horses with boots and have four different types one horse has boas in front and easy boots behind !
My trimmer has always got mine because I would not know how to start.
I failed with boots in the past I now know this was because I bought the boots I liked the look of in size nearest to my horse and it does not work like that.

sydney

Visit site
I'd try the Cavallos. They're at the lower end price wise, they last and they're easy to use.

I really fancied the Easyboot Glove- sent off for the fit kit and couldn't get a good enough fit. :( The Cavallos are much simpler to measure up for (think it's just the width of the hoof if I remember rightly).

Suelin

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and the links. It is a minefield isn't it??? It's a real pity that he is so footy on anything other than grass. If he wasn't then he could poddle about in his carpet slippers. Will definitely look carefully at all these suggestions and go from there. I think I may be some time!!!!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I'd try the Cavallos. They're at the lower end price wise, they last and they're easy to use.

I really fancied the Easyboot Glove- sent off for the fit kit and couldn't get a good enough fit. :( The Cavallos are much simpler to measure up for (think it's just the width of the hoof if I remember rightly).

No, 'fraid not. You still have to measure from buttress to toe. :)

Wishlist

Visit site
Hi I have used Boa boots in the past which did the job, schooling, hacking and handy for turnout following an abcess. I just put them on front and my mare coped ok. I thought they were expensive but lasted really well my horse is barefoot again so would buy these again as had a positive experience previously:)