boots for fat calfs. and which Body protector(Woman)

chunkytfg

Visit site
my missus B'day is due soon and she is in need of some new riding boots.

They need to be hard wearing but more yard/riding boots than proper black riding boots IYSWIM?

Only trouble is she suffers with what she affectionaly call 'Kankles'

meaning even though she is only 5'3" she has a 42cm calf which is well out of the range of normal boots even the 'Wide' ones

What would the collective minds of the H+H forum suggest?

also what size would she be needing interms of a body protector?

shes a 14 with an average chest(in terms of size not quality obviously!!!!)

grin.gif

LankyDoodle

Visit site
Hehe.

Ummmm, well the problem is that size 14s come in all shapes and sizes depending on height and build of a person, so it would be difficult to know. I would recommend airowear protectors. I would also recommend not buying her one without her getting fitted, as they do have to fit well.

So perhaps you could take her to the saddlery on her bday for the back protector.

As for the boots: what I did with my husband when I bought him italian leather riding boots from Dogwood for xmas, for hunting, I waited til he was asleep to measure his calfs hehe. So you could always wait til she's asleep, sneak in, hoik her up and measure her chest, waist to waist measurement and back length!!

And I would say if she's looking for riding boots that double as a yard boot, both Ariat and Mountain Horse do nice ones. I have Ariat ankle boots and wear chaps with them for riding. That might be your option, as I have the same sized calfs (but am 5'10") and my Mountain Horse long boots have long since become too tight in that area!

chunkytfg

Visit site
thanks for the info. as for measuring her in her sleep.

not a chance!! she wakes up if a mouse was to sneeze ten miles away, it's me that managed to sleep though that earthquake we had a while back whislt laying on a sheet of cardboard under my desk at work with my tool back acting as pillow!!!

calon

Visit site
i am same size and calf width is ok i can find boots and gaiters but short and wide is a problem i get 16 by 16 inch gaiters as short wide boots are very hard to find off the peg sorry

louisevictoria

Visit site
I have always found the mountain horse wide fittings to be really brilliant (they are the only ones I wear throughout the winter)
but also found just general yard stuff I have found the ariat wellies to be fantastic (didn't like the hunters as they were too tight to wear with my jeans)

chickeninabun

www.wix.com
I measured my calfs at 42cm too and have just bought a pair of Mountain Horse High Rider II from discountsaddlery.co.uk (£119) in wide and they even fit with my jeans on! They do them in a short length/height too, as I'm 5'9" and the regular are just about right on me.
cool.gif

zoegolding

Visit site
Tredstep do really nice leather gaiters with all different calf height/width combinations & they look just as nice as long leather boots as long as you find some nice johdpur boots to go with them. Derby House & Rideaway Catalogues both supply them (you can order online).