Visit site
Hey all!

My girl is currently barefoot (was advised by farrier and vet to keep her barefoot as she has excellent feet, and she doesn’t need shoes for what we do), but we’re planning on doing an endurance race in January (25 miles), and I’m toying with the idea of purchasing boots for her front hooves just to be safe. I have a friend who does both Ride and Tie and Endurance with her horses and has done very well (won several times in both races), and she advised me to use Scoop Boots for my mare; but she has also done it with her Paso barefoot, and she said he did just fine. She’s been racing for 10 years. Wanting to hear your opinions!

Lady Jane

Visit site
Boots or not depends on the terrain of the ride compared to your usual riding - and how long you ride for on a daily basis? Boots must fit the shape of your horse's feet. The Hoof Boutique give great advice. If you do decide to use boots they need to be well worn in as over 25 miles you could really have a sore horse otherwise. And if its heavy mud could be a nuisance

Visit site
Boots or not depends on the terrain of the ride compared to your usual riding - and how long you ride for on a daily basis? Boots must fit the shape of your horse's feet. The Hoof Boutique give great advice. If you do decide to use boots they need to be well worn in as over 25 miles you could really have a sore horse otherwise. And if its heavy mud could be a nuisance

Most of my riding terrain is natural footing. She does fine with that. Endurance trails are also mostly all natural terrain to my knowledge as well. I would definitely ride her quite a bit beforehand with the boots to make sure she’s comfortable and happy with them. We typically ride around 25 miles a week currently. Thank you for your suggestions!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
A lot of endurance riders use Vipers as there’s nothing which rubs as long as they are set up correctly. The heel captivator moves with the action of the foot and the shell sits below the coronet band. The Classics are sized differently to the newer Renegades and having used both Scoots and Cavallo Treks I find the Renegades the best all round boot for long distance and mud. If you are in the UK contact Liz at the Hoof Boutique who will take you through the measuring process and tell you which boots are best for the shape of the foot.

Visit site
A lot of endurance riders use Vipers as there’s nothing which rubs as long as they are set up correctly. The heel captivator moves with the action of the foot and the shell sits below the coronet band. The Classics are sized differently to the newer Renegades and having used both Scoots and Cavallo Treks I find the Renegades the best all round boot for long distance and mud. If you are in the UK contact Liz at the Hoof Boutique who will take you through the measuring process and tell you which boots are best for the shape of the foot.

Okay, thank you so much for the recommendation! I will contact her!

paddy555

Visit site
25 miles is nothing for a barefoot horse and she should be able to do it easily. However if you condition on grass and mud at home and there is a lot of stone/gravel or any other difficult surfaces on the ride she may struggle. They have to be conditioned on the sort of surface they are going to ride/race on. Sometimes you get to a ride and find harsh sections that you never expected.
The other point is at home you are going at the exact pace you want on harsher ground, you can slow to a walk if you want to protect her feet. In a race you may be going faster than you would like on harsher areas. You cannot always control the speed to your liking if everyone charges past you.
I think you need to be doing quite a few 20 mile rides at speed in your boots if you get some. There is nothing worse than paying for ride entries and all the rest of the expenses and getting vetted out because the boots have rubbed.

Like HHD I would go for Vipers. I found scoots had 2 problems. Firstly they needed mud straps over muddy terrain to keep them on. I had them come off at a walk without in mud. I found mud straps (apart from the additional cost) to be a pain to put on. Secondly and far more seriously I found the rigid backs (parts around the heels) gouged down to blood in the hollow of the pasterns. This was on 2 separate horses and on one he had been using the same boots with the same trim for months and it was definitely not expected.

Visit site
25 miles is nothing for a barefoot horse and she should be able to do it easily. However if you condition on grass and mud at home and there is a lot of stone/gravel or any other difficult surfaces on the ride she may struggle. They have to be conditioned on the sort of surface they are going to ride/race on. Sometimes you get to a ride and find harsh sections that you never expected.
The other point is at home you are going at the exact pace you want on harsher ground, you can slow to a walk if you want to protect her feet. In a race you may be going faster than you would like on harsher areas. You cannot always control the speed to your liking if everyone charges past you.
I think you need to be doing quite a few 20 mile rides at speed in your boots if you get some. There is nothing worse than paying for ride entries and all the rest of the expenses and getting vetted out because the boots have rubbed.

Like HHD I would go for Vipers. I found scoots had 2 problems. Firstly they needed mud straps over muddy terrain to keep them on. I had them come off at a walk without in mud. I found mud straps (apart from the additional cost) to be a pain to put on. Secondly and far more seriously I found the rigid backs (parts around the heels) gouged down to blood in the hollow of the pasterns. This was on 2 separate horses and on one he had been using the same boots with the same trim for months and it was definitely not expected.

We ride about half and half gravel/rock bed and grass/dirt and have had no issues. Since she’s been doing fine with 15+ mile rides at home, maybe I’ll just do it without the boots. If I do end up getting boots for her at some point, Vipers sound like a great option! Thank you so much for your help!

Lady Jane

Visit site

Agree with potential heel damage but new model has different heel - I haven't tried them. Mud straps are a pain. From what I have read the Vipers are popular with endurance riders

paddy555

Visit site
Agree with potential heel damage but new model has different heel - I haven't tried them. Mud straps are a pain. From what I have read the Vipers are popular with endurance riders

yes I have seen pics of them. Original scoots are 148 and the new ones are 229 a pair. (per Urban horse) quite a price difference and the new ones have mud straps :D:D although it seems they are included in the price.

looking at the back of them I am still not over keen. Renegades cup round the heel as do easycare gaiters. Not sure what to make of the new scoot but I gather it has a gaiter.
I don't like boots with "extras" ie a gaiter you have to put in place, I prefer ones where everything is attached already. Just me :D:D
I wonder if they improved the back as other people had problems. I will stick with vipers. You have to trust your boots and I do trust those. (PITA as the velcro is :rolleyes:)