Boots v Bandages

telerimist

Visit site
Had a little debate at the yard the other evening.

I have a big mare (17hh) and splashing out on extra large boots all the time is quiet expensive as she does have a habit of breaking them somehow!
Now we don't jump much and mainly just school and hack so I use eskadron bandage pads and fleece bandages. I feel I can cover more of her leg/fetlock with them and I feel like I can give them more support with correct bandaging than I can with boots which are never big enough even at XL size.
Yet other liveries on my yard just use brushing boots as they are convenient and feel they have more protection but they are no bigger than 14hh ponies.

What are your opinions, do you prefer new technology boots or old fashioned bandages?

StormyGale

Visit site
Have to say boots all the way. I find them quick easy and easier to clean too. I worry about bandages being too tight/too loose etc even though I know how to put on correctly I just always worry about them also I have a young horse and while he is very good standing still bandages I find are minutely more time consuming compared to velcroing on a pair of boots or doing up straps but just my preference. I do however think bandages do look smart and wouldn't rule them out totally

Dizzleton

Visit site
I use both. I have a 17hh WB who wears size L.

For general schooling and dressage I use bandages as they look smart and don't really hinder his movement.

For hacking and the incredibly rare occasions we jump he wears Premier Equine air cooled eventing boots. They're very lightweight, offer great protection and don't move or slip in faster work. They have a few pairs of XL boots in their sale too - https://www.premierequine.co.uk/acatalog/Sale.html

telerimist

Visit site
Have to say boots all the way. I find them quick easy and easier to clean too. I worry about bandages being too tight/too loose etc even though I know how to put on correctly I just always worry about them also I have a young horse and while he is very good standing still bandages I find are minutely more time consuming compared to velcroing on a pair of boots or doing up straps but just my preference. I do however think bandages do look smart and wouldn't rule them out totally

I agree they are much more convenient, think I'm just too old fashioned! I've used bandages on my mare for the last 6 years with no problems and were I use proper pads underneath I think I've doing them fine and my instructors agree they are done properly.

Em123

Visit site
I bandage but use boots if feeling lazy!
Though I have tbs with the average cob fronts, full hinds so not hard to get hold of!

telerimist

Visit site
I use both. I have a 17hh WB who wears size L.

For general schooling and dressage I use bandages as they look smart and don't really hinder his movement.

For hacking and the incredibly rare occasions we jump he wears Premier Equine air cooled eventing boots. They're very lightweight, offer great protection and don't move or slip in faster work. They have a few pairs of XL boots in their sale too - https://www.premierequine.co.uk/acatalog/Sale.html

I have a set of their sports boots in XL but they're just not long enough lol! I mainly have lots of dressage lessons and with pony club so they like to see them. I've never seen the eventing boots in the flesh but have heard lots of good things about them!
Thank you will have a look

applecart14

Visit site
My vet says there is nothing on this planet that will stop a horse breaking his leg or pulling a tendon other than if the said horse was wearing a plaster cast at the time!

I prefer to bandage as my horse did his suspensory ligament two years ago with a 40% chance of reoccurence. But this is my personal choice. The vet said it would be more beneficial initially when brought back into work to use bandages, IF they were used correctly, ie. under padding and not over tightened or left on for long periods but I have continued to use them, a bit like why we still use the same joint supplement or probiotic - because we are terrified something 'might happen' if we stop using our old favourites lol :)

I use the John Whittaker bandages with the fleece attached to the elastic and they are brilliant. I do think they offer a little more support than boots.

Incidentally I use the Knee and brushing boots in one for road work and no bandages. I did try the bandages underneath but the boots wouldn't do up properly then :( I figure there is little chance of my horse doing anything drastic on the roads but I wouldn't put it past him. Better to have knee protection (he is 16) than no knee protection at all in the event of a fall.

Last edited:

telerimist

Visit site
My vet says there is nothing on this planet that will stop a horse breaking his leg or pulling a tendon other than if the said horse was wearing a plaster cast at the time!

I prefer to bandage as my horse did his suspensory ligament two years ago with a 40% chance of reoccurence. But this is my personal choice. The vet said it would be more beneficial initially when brought back into work to use bandages, IF they were used correctly, ie. under padding and not over tightened or left on for long periods but I have continued to use them, a bit like why we still use the same joint supplement or probiotic - because we are terrified something 'might happen' if we stop using our old favourites lol :)

I use the John Whittaker bandages with the fleece attached to the elastic and they are brilliant.

Oh yes I know that too well, my mare had her near hind splint bone fractured into 5 pieces even with wearing long Kevlar protection boots. This is also why I prefer bandages, I know what I'm putting on my horses legs. She used to wear stable bandages at night after this injury too so bandages all round and having quality padding makes me feel confident they are benefiting her :)
Ahh I haven't used JW ones yet! May give them a look into.