Boots

Princess16

Visit site
I ride in Toggi boots, do you think that certain styles of boots are better when riding I.e. Have a better grip in stirrup or are they more or less all fit for purpose and do the same job.

Ps No I'm not trying to blame my boots for my riding skills LOL

Shay

Visit site
A good boot will be one that fits you well and suits your lower leg carriage. And that is well cared for. But what exactly that will be will vary!

It used to be that you bought a good quality boot and then wore it for ages round the house to "break it in". The leather would shape itself to your leg (if it didn't re-shape your leg in the process.). Then well cared for would last you most of the rest of your life - unless you grew out of it or changed size.

But these days the leather used (if they are leather - not all are) is much softer at the start. Any boot shapes itself to your leg of course - but not the same way. Some are more supple in the ankle, some more rigid. It depends on how you carry your leg as to which you prefer. Some higher up the calf, some tighter. A good boot is what fits well and suits you!

There are boots which lock onto a specifically designed stirrup - but these are banned in many competitions for safety reasons - so I've no experience with them. Otherwise grip comes from the stirrup rather than the boot.

There are only 2 exceptions - to my mind. Wellies - or anything without a heel - don't ride in it unless you have caged stirrups. And anything that is far broader in the foot width than your natural foot shape - it might make your stirrup too small and risk you being caught in a fall.

zara-190

Visit site
The over riding factor for me is comfort; one style may suit you better than others I have boots for the time of year and the activity. My winter riding boot is an Ariat Extreme H20, I have a pair of Mountain Horse long boots, some nice jod boots and Ariat chaps and a pair of "show" boots. The only pair I've had to "wear in" were the show boots and I really don't like them so don't wear them very often.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I don't like boots with a rigid ankle and with short boots I find "paddock" type boots a bit too chunky and for some reason I turn into a bit of a kicky flapy thing riding in them. I prefer neat slim-fitting jodhpur boots over anything else, though long boots are better at protecting my legs from brambles when out hacking.