Border Terrier Puppies - any recommendations?

Tobiano

Visit site
As above - my sister and her husband have decided to have a dog again after a 30 year break and they have worked out they would like to have a border terrier bitch.

I volunteered to help look - any suggestions or recommendations for a good reputable source not too far from Suffolk? We are looking on Kennel Club website but wonder if anyone on here has a good experience to share.

Thank you! :)

Clodagh

Visit site
We looked for one for my mother-in-law last year and bitches were hard to find. You may need to contact stud dog owners and see if they know of any litters up coming. We found one by word of mouth in the end.
I'm sure you know but the show and working borders are very different to look at and in their behaviour. I expect most advertised on the KC website will be show types but could be wrong.

Tobiano

Visit site
We looked for one for my mother-in-law last year and bitches were hard to find. You may need to contact stud dog owners and see if they know of any litters up coming. We found one by word of mouth in the end.
I'm sure you know but the show and working borders are very different to look at and in their behaviour. I expect most advertised on the KC website will be show types but could be wrong.

Thanks Clodagh! I have printed off the list of KC breeders within a reasonable distance (was just about to type that lots seemed to be in the borders..... then realised why!!!) Yes I knew there was a difference (I guess like with cockers) but will do a bit more research!

planete

Visit site
Be aware that some lines are now prone to epilepsy. Reputable breeders are not breeding from affected dogs but tell your sister to research thoroughly before buying.

okepunya

Visit site
pets4homes is a good site, or you could look on champdogs.
g.png

Thanks for recomendations

taraj

Visit site
My little border terrier bitch had a litter of 4 pups last week, all being well with the pups (early days) I have lovely homes for them and more! I know a few breeders in this area but we are down in Sussex so too far. It may be worth looking for a border stud dog in your area and giving them a call, they may know of litters due? Don't discount your local paper/free ads as there is a very old fashioned breeder of super terriers around here who only advertises, if he needs to, in his local paper. If you are out walking and spot a nice terrier make a point of asking where the dog came from?! You'll be surprised how much this happens!.
Breeders that breed dogs for showing often breed them for looks rather than temperament, the fashion these days seems to be long legged/finer body. We like the older fashioned working type terrier shorter/stockier, hence breeding this litter. (dandyhow/oxcroft lines are just a couple of good old fashioned breed lines).
A lot of breeders breed there lines very closely, we bought a beautiful blue/tan bitch a few years ago and paid a lot of money for her as we were told that line breeding is fine, good even, we had lots of problems with her and sadly lost her at the age of 3. This may just be bad luck but has certainly put us off anything that is line-bred.