Border Terriers…

Supercalifragilistic

Visit site
Please can I have your experiences / views on border terriers. Sorry this is quite long…

I will be looking for a puppy in the autumn to join our lovely Working Cocker bitch. I had intended to go for another spanner but I am starting to lean towards a border terrier instead. I have known quite a few and they have nearly all been lovely dogs, a couple have been a bit ‘dull’, but then they lived dull lives with older people who just pottered around the home with them, so maybe had just adapted to fit. I have always had gundogs so I’m a bit nervous about making the move to terriers!

As well as a daily walk the dogs are out in the stables for a couple of hours a day with me. Our lovely WCS tends to just mosey about our fields nearby or sits and watches me ride. Will a BT be more likely to head off hunting (boundary is pretty secure tornado fence but I imagine a determined terrier could find/dig ‘exits’). Will I spend my walks extracting a BT from various fox/badger/rabbit holes? Will it find it just too cold to be hanging around the yard in the winter?

We live on the edge of a large shoot (think pheasant feeders within about 100m of our boundary so LOTS of birds). Spanner has taken a good couple of years to become reliable in recall around birds and deer, how would a BT be around these (obviously training will be done!).

Any guidance or thoughts are much appreciated before I start looking for breeders!

Moobli

Visit site
Interesting post for me as I am also currently considering a Border Terrier in the future to go alongside my GSDs. Whereabouts in the country are you? There is a Border Terriers 2020 event (postponed because of the pandemic) that is taking place very soon in Kelso, Scottish Borders (29 April - 2 May). There are more details about the event and what is being organised here https://borderterriers2020.org.uk/event-details.html. There will be loads of owners, breeders etc attending so a good chance to meet dogs and speak to those who know them best.

What are your reasons for leaning more towards a border than another spaniel? The BTs I have known have all been quite prey driven but with the necessary training have had reliable recalls and been able to have off lead exercise. There do seem to be a fair few who come up on lost dog sites and I'd hazard a guess that some may have got lost while off chasing and hunting. Obviously you want to harness that natural hunting instinct into something useful, so if you have stables your border could keep the rat population down. I live on a farm and that is one of the reasons why I would like a terrier as I don't like poisoning rats and we can't keep cats. In terms of the weather, I have found the breed to be okay in colder weather but they don't seem to enjoy the rain or exercising in the heat which maybe something to do with the short snouts, although they do like sunbathing lol.

I am debating whether to put my name on the waiting list for a border from the breeder of my friend's little dog, as he has a bombproof temperament, is a plucky wee thing and the breeder goes over and above with health testing and rearing her pups. I am happy to give you details by PM if you would like.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I can only give my experience of my BT who's 14 years old now, but he's been a great dog who would run along side us while riding at speed on hacks and has always been fine around the badger setts in the horses fields or the many rabbit holes along the hedge line.
He's still as tough as old boots, never sick or sorry, although he's a little stiff in the back legs now. He's always been friendly with dogs, children and other animals, whilst being full of character.
I'm actually of lover of collies and labs, but I'll always keep one dog bed for a border terrier. They're fun, tough and able to keep up with us hiking for miles over peaks without being hyper or fizzy.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I love border terriers and of course I see lots round here we are a Labrador family but if I had a small dog it would be a border .
They can be quite naughty I have known some complete terrorists usually dogs it’s my observation that the bitches seem easier .

Supercalifragilistic

Visit site
Interesting post for me as I am also currently considering a Border Terrier in the future to go alongside my GSDs. Whereabouts in the country are you? There is a Border Terriers 2020 event (postponed because of the pandemic) that is taking place very soon in Kelso, Scottish Borders (29 April - 2 May). There are more details about the event and what is being organised here https://borderterriers2020.org.uk/event-details.html. There will be loads of owners, breeders etc attending so a good chance to meet dogs and speak to those who know them best.

What are your reasons for leaning more towards a border than another spaniel? The BTs I have known have all been quite prey driven but with the necessary training have had reliable recalls and been able to have off lead exercise. There do seem to be a fair few who come up on lost dog sites and I'd hazard a guess that some may have got lost while off chasing and hunting. Obviously you want to harness that natural hunting instinct into something useful, so if you have stables your border could keep the rat population down. I live on a farm and that is one of the reasons why I would like a terrier as I don't like poisoning rats and we can't keep cats. In terms of the weather, I have found the breed to be okay in colder weather but they don't seem to enjoy the rain or exercising in the heat which maybe something to do with the short snouts, although they do like sunbathing lol.

I am debating whether to put my name on the waiting list for a border from the breeder of my friend's little dog, as he has a bombproof temperament, is a plucky wee thing and the breeder goes over and above with health testing and rearing her pups. I am happy to give you details by PM if you would like.

Thanks so much for the response. We are down in Hertfordshire so sadly that event will be too far away, it would have been a great opportunity.

It’s interesting to hear that most of the BTs that you know are quite prey driven, that doesn’t surprise me although interestingly it hasn’t really been too obvious in the ones that I have known (apart from the ratting, which would be an asset rather than an issue). I don’t know if there is much difference in drive between the show/pet bred dogs and those from working stock, I imagine that there is.

I am not fully decided not to get another spaniel (WCS/Sprocker) but having a lower prey drive is part of it, due to our location, it is a big ask for a spanner to ignore all of the birds and it has taken hours (and hours and hours) of training. I have also had so many people remark on her super temperament and great off switch that I wonder if we struck it a bit lucky last time, and might not again!

I may well take you up on the breeder details that you have, if I definitely decide to go for a border, thank you.

Rokele55

Visit site
Border terriers are lovely, friendly little dogs. They are able to keep up out exercising the horses and are good vermin removers. My late bitch was a devil for pheasants and killed rats !i've and other small furries but perfect with chickens, sheep etc after training. So showing they are perfectly reasonable (I never managed to persuade her that pet rabbits, hamsters etc. weren't prey though). Much less hard headed than other terriers, also much more sensitive. I think that there are some strains prone to epilepsy, diabetes and stomach disorders. Some I have known are also very, very thick. My absolute favourite breed of dog

Supercalifragilistic

Visit site
Thanks everyone. It’s great to hear that there are so many BT fans out there, and also to hear some first hand experiences of personality/drive etc. lots to think about…

conniegirl

Visit site
My border is amazing! We love her to bits. She will happily follow on a hack or just lounge on the sofa and I’m convinced that she thinks Ellie is her pup as she has been amazing with the poking and prodding of a young baby.

Redders

Visit site
As a vet, there are actually very few breeds of dog that I think I could cope with owning - I obviously see a lot of the breed predispositions and the costs/heartbreak etc. But a BT yes I would own in a heartbeat if I ever get time to actually own a dog - I think they are marvellous and I haven’t yet met one in the consult room that I didn’t like! Someone came in for ‘family vaccination’ where they had 5 BT all coming in at the same time - they were fabulous and that was my favourite consult of the month!

Rokele55

Visit site
I should have added, I have never met a border terrier who isn't amazing with children. I have met a few less than amazing with other dogs, but only few. I have known lots and lots, my mother was a breeder

Supercalifragilistic

Visit site
I should have added, I have never met a border terrier who isn't amazing with children. I have met a few less than amazing with other dogs, but only few. I have known lots and lots, my mother was a breeder

That’s also helpful to know, thank you. We have young children, who are good with dogs, but the concern is always the visiting children. Whilst they are never left unattended with dogs, it is helpful to have a dog that is child tolerant (or in the case of our WCS, totally ignores children!).

Bradsmum

Visit site
Ours was a great little character and loved moseying(?) down at the stables. He was quite prey driven though and when we knew there were young deer about, we had to put a muzzle on him. He caught one once and would not let go - we did manage to free it and luckily it was unhurt but not an experience to duplicate. He was a lovely, friendly people dog and also was great with other dogs until a Rottweiler pounced on him and frightened him. I would have another in a trice.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I used to breed them. They are probably my favourite breed of dog, but I haven't owned one since I lost my last bitch around 12 years ago.

They are fabulous dogs, everything above gives you all you need to know about them in terms of temperament and trainability and the way they fit into any environment. Great ratters and great around horses.

I would add though that they can be prone to skin and ear complaints which can be chronic. And while many BT owners clip them, they really should be hand stripped as they have a double coat and clipping them really messes that up. But hand stripping can be a pita. If the coat gets very overgrown then they are prone to overheating.

Clodagh

Visit site
We always had them when we had terriers. Far easier than a spanner to train! We only had one dog and he was a nightmare but the bitches were all lovely. I accept there may have been reasons for that, I suspect he was badly bred.

palo1

Visit site
BTs are divine family dogs. My sister has a particularly delightful old boy who we have all loved for years. If you want something a bit wilder but equally lovely have a look at the Irish terrier. They are known for their devotion and sweet temperament in a family though they are likely more challenging in several ways...

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I must have the kindest BT with zero hunting instinct. He used to sleep with a guinea pig and would benignly watch injured baby doves bath in his water bowl. He is appalled when the cats bring dead mice to play with. He sits between the victim and the cats to prevent further desecration. I've watched two wild rabbits carry on eating as he sauntered over to touch noses with both of them, who then carried on eating as he ambled away.
We have 14 grandchildren who come to stay regularly and he thinks that's a special kind of heaven.
TBH, our collies are just the same. The only thing that sparks their hunting instinct, are foxes. Even the BT won't tolerate a fox on his patch.

Clodagh

Visit site
I couldn’t resist sharing my favourite photo of my old GSD Yogi and my sister’s BT Daisy. No border terriers were harmed in the taking of this photograph ?

View attachment 91076
That’s the sort of photo that a red top would use to illustrate dog attacks. ?. Our rescue BT, Poppy, and my lurcher used to play Waterloo Cup. No BT’s were hurt then either, although they got bowled over in the open quite a lot.

misst

Visit site
I'm a JRT person but if I couldn't have one I would plump for a BT. My little Ruby has a bestie she meets on walks who is also 2 and is a BT. They play very very rough terrier games but both are soft as anything with people, great with kids and have excellent recall. BTs are lovely and I have never known a bad one.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I couldn’t resist sharing my favourite photo of my old GSD Yogi and my sister’s BT Daisy. No border terriers were harmed in the taking of this photograph ?

View attachment 91076
I'd be more concerned about the GSD getting hurt to be honest ??

Congrats to the OP, I love BT's so am very jealous.